Forumite General Topics Other Stuff Car air vent holders

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    johnbarry
    Participant
      @johnbarry

I need 2 car air vent holders with a sticky tab on the back. I have been searching for ages. I can only seem to find mobile/table/satnav type holders.

These are the ones I am after, not sure of the correct name for them.

Help needed (please)

Cheers
      John

Tippon
      Participant
        @tippon

What is it that you want to do John? It might help with the search.

johnbarry
        Participant
          @johnbarry

sos

I need them to stick this (already purchased) onto the air vent (on the right), then when it’s full it can be removed and emptied. It wasn’t realised it has no removeable parts to empty it, so I can’t permently fix it.

It doesn’t say if it has a bracket on the back, to slide off.

Cheers
          John

Tippon
          Participant
            @tippon

A magnetic phone holder may do it, as you can stick the magnetic tab to the back of the ashtray. I don’t know if I’d stick an ashtray to an air vent though. One forgetful moment and you get a car full of ash ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/In-Car-Magnetic-Phone-Holder-Fits-Air-Vent-Universal-Mount-Various-Colours/142220669861

johnbarry
            Participant
              @johnbarry

Thanks Tippon

I will try it, true about car full, if I stick the tab to the lower back and then highest vent and leave the fan off it should escape blowing around the car. If fan needed the lid can be shut on the ashtray.

Cheers
              John

Ed P
              Participant
                @edps

One way is to use heavy duty sticky velcro.

According to the Screwfix blurb it will hold up to 7kg, but I think that you may need to do something to the back of the ashtray to eliminate it only having a top edge/hinge in contact with the dash.

I would probably cover the back of the ashtray with a layer of prickly velcro, and put a corresponding layer of the smooth stuff on the dash. That kludge might put the top edge and hinge below the level of the prickly velcro, otherwise that will always cause you problems.

The Duke
                Participant
                  @sgb101

Ed I use(d) the good sticky velcro in my car to attach my hdd and hootoo. It works fantastic by not in cars. As the car heats up, the velcro is that good, the actual glue peals away when you try yo seperate the velcro.

So great stuff, will work for most things, but in an unstable environment or in a use that isn’t semi permanent, the glue isn’t up to the standard of the velcro.

John would be much better with a cheap tiny 2 or 3mm neodymium magnet, super glued to the inside of the ash tray, and one of them cheap magnetised holders linked too above.

Remember to glue the magnet in the right way, lol. I’d use two (they come in packs) to stop any ‘swivel’ but probly not needed. It will be solid, and easily removable.

Though John, if you have a cup holer, I’ve seen ash trays that fit in cup holders, for cheap, that’s probably the way I’d go. However I’ve l got 3 cup holders in the front of my car, for some unknown reason!

johnbarry
                  Participant
                    @johnbarry

Thanks Ed

Seems a good un, but then Duke has some valid facts.

I browsed ebay for a cheaper vent thing (using Tippons link, name of product), it has a sticky backed magnet for the ashtray and a magnet for the vent.

In Car Magnetic Phone Holder Fits Air Vent Universal Mount

Requiring no screws or fixings, the magnetic Smartphone (johns ashtray) holder simply attaches to your dashboard with a strong adhesive pad. The adhesive plate attaches to the back of your Smartphone (johns ashtray) and provides a contact to ‘stick’ to the magnetic holder.

The Velcro might come in use though, I will get some.

Cheers
                    John

The Duke
                    Participant
                      @sgb101

I use that sticky velcro as cable tidies on the underside of my desks. It’s good stuff.

dwynnehugh
                      Participant
                        @dwynnehugh

John – wouldn’t it be easier to stop smoking in the car!!   ?

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

RSB
                        Keymaster
                          @bdthree

Go to E-Liquid JB. The switch is not like giving up smoking. In fact I believe with the correct set-up you will find it more satisfying. You will need some liquid with high PG and low VG. Hi VG produces more vapor and with that while driving the car you will crash as you will not be able to see out of the window. Also with a higher PG you will get the real cig hit. I use hi VG usually something along the lines of Strawberries & cream and I realy dont want that hit anymore I use to get from cigs. You should save a few quid to!…

Anyhow I do not even know if you smoke or not, you may want the tray for your change 🙂

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Contact Admin: admin@forumite-chewey.co.uk

Forumite Donations Paypal.me/forumite

The Duke
                          Participant
                            @sgb101

The liquids are no doubt healthier than smoking, but ad of yet very little research or standards are in place.

Plus everyone I know that is no on Ecigs, all have what is known as Vap cough. An ever constant tickly cough.

I don’t trust them, ive been off the cigs for years,bar the do some I’m the pub,but i still after about eight to ten years, eat 2mg mints in the car. The tesco own ones, last about 6 weeks a pack.

I did stop fully for 4 years, then went away for two weeks with just the lads, ended up on 20 plus a day while away. So on return to home the 2mg lozenge thong started.well i started on the 4mg for a couple  weeks,then dropped to the 2s.

RSB
                            Keymaster
                              @bdthree

It’s usually not so good liquid or the wrong mixture for them that causes the cough. All the people I know do not have a cough with the correct liquid. There is some cheap and nasty stuff about so it’s research first. And I think it is very safe to say there better than cigs considering all the rubbish in them. I will not get into the arguments about it or it will just end up as an anti-virus on android conversation.

The Duke
                              Participant
                                @sgb101

I’m no anti smoking Hitler. Most ex smokers are terrible at telling other to stop,or how much they stink etc..

I don’t care, smoke or vape if you wish. Neither is good for the body, but I’m sure they already know that, without being preached to. ?

RSB
                                Keymaster
                                  @bdthree

You cant preach no, only none smokers can preach and you are not one 🙂 2 in a pub every now or then or 20 a day your still a fag ash lil 🙂

The Duke
                                  Participant
                                    @sgb101

I was a 40 a day roll guy ?

johnbarry
                                    Participant
                                      @johnbarry

I don’t smoke much, I detest the vapours.

There is an ashtray in the car, just above the gear stick (when in fifth I can’t get at it). Also I hold a fag in my right hand, to swap over to use the ashtray is tricky

So the ash ends up dropping on the floor, I detest that as much although I was told ash is good for carpets.

Hence the air vent (on the right) is ideal for an ashtray.

Cheers
                                      John

JayCeeDee
                                      Participant
                                        @jayceedee

It’s usually not so good liquid or the wrong mixture for them that causes the cough. All the people I know do not have a cough with the correct liquid. There is some cheap and nasty stuff about so it’s research first. And I think it is very safe to say there better than cigs considering all the rubbish in them. I will not get into the arguments about it or it will just end up as an anti-virus on android conversation.

The wife converted to vaping  just on three years ago now. She suffers from COPD, but her last Spirometry test ( strength of puff into a tube ) shows a 10% improvement over that time.

She uses 50/50 PG/VG ( doesn’t have that annoying cough ) and is now down to 1.5 mg nicotine – she mixes tobacco flavour 3mg and 0mg in equal measures and adds a dash of 3mg almond amaretto for a flavour. When she started off she was using 20mg or the like, but gradually over the first year, weaned herself down to the 1.5mg.

She readily admits she vapes for England, always has one in- or to-hand. She reckons that whatever the science behind any comparisons, what is essentially food flavouring has to be better for you than the couple of hundred chemicals used to process tobacco.

Edit – She gets her e-juices HERE. Really good prices and great service.

RSB
                                        Keymaster
                                          @bdthree

I started using it about three years ago for the simple reason my cat “The Older One” was coughing when in the same room. Up until about a year ago I was using chepo ones but now I have the proper kit. A Smok branded set-up, a few batteries and a separate charger and guess I do puff on it to much. Sometime’s I can not see the TV for a few seconds :).  I am on 70vg 30pg. I buy a 50ml bottle of 0% nicotine flavoured something like strawberries and cream as mentioned and mix 2 10ml 18% nicotine plain bottles in making overall 6 mg in strength. Minus coils it works out at about £10 a week.

P.s Mine is direct to lung and I had been using mouth to lung before and did not think about strengths of liquids. I put 22mg liquid in this new one and could tell after a few hours I was overdosing on nicotine. Highly not recommended.

Bob Williams
                                          Participant
                                            @bullstuff2

Not going to preach, but until about 40 years ago I was getting through 300 a week, most weeks. I believe that service in HMF contributed to that, we all smoked and were in fact given coupons (by government!) to buy at reduced prices from the NAAFI, in Germany and other areas overseas. i used to reach for a smoke before I opened my eyes to wake up. That is probably one reason for Steve’s intake of 40 a day roll-ups, it was always seen as macho to smoke in HMF.

What stopped me was working over an engine block I had just scraped, flatted, checked, cleaned and made ready for a new cylinder head gasket and the head, to be fitted. I coughed so much that I was sick onto my work, which I had to do again. I booted an Embassy packet, at least half-full, across thr workshop and swore I had smoked my last fag. A workmate challenged me and said I would never do it. Which is exactly what not to say to me, it made me more determined. Every day this pillock offered me a ciggy from the pack. After 7 weeks he gave up and said he would smoke them. No you won’t I said, give them here: and stomped the pack into oblivion before throwing them into the heater.

Never felt the need to smoke again and I missed the Vaping crap by a generation and a half. Meditation is my relaxing agent.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
                                            I'm out.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
                                          Forumite