Motoring Other Motoring Topics Car DAB Radios

This topic contains 58 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Tippon 2 months, 1 week ago. This post has been viewed 1053 times

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 59 total)
  • Author

Bob Williams
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1421
    • @bullstuff2
      Forumite Coins: 315

My son has asked me for something as a Chrimbo pressie, which has bamboozled me. It is many years since I last fitted a car stereo, since they had cassettes in fact. He asked his mum while I was out, for: –

” Double DIN DAB radio with USB or Jack port for smartphone, and ISO cable to plug into the rear of his stereo. ”

I think I understand most of what it means, apart from the ‘double DIN’ part. Does that refer to the size of the dash aperture that the stereo fits into? I have been looking at these radios* on lots of different websites and the price differences between just a Double DIN radio and one with a CD player, do not seem large, so I’m wondering if it might be better to buy the system with a CD. That should mean that he will not need the ISO cable, I imagine, which will almost wipe out the price difference. My lad has always liked his (horrible 80’s) music: at one point he was working full time whilst doing DJ gigs in evenings and weekends.

I have no idea about car stereos nowadays.

*’radios’ is too small a word for them now.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1809
    • @sgb101
      Forumite Coins: 237

He won’t want a cd player. Kids don’t use cds. I personally have never had a cd disk in either of my last two cars, dating back to 2007.

I know my kids first question when they got a car, is how to I get my phone connected. The phone is the new car entertainment  system.

Not sure what a Double  din* is myself. But these days your best using somthing like amazon (or better Ali express), search for car model/stereo and you’ll get systems that fit in the space required and come with the correct trim

I know if I wanted to swap mine out, it would be a massive faf, given the ‘stereo area’ is also filled with other other buttons, and there is a semi hidden cd slot. Fron day one I’ve use a cd slot mounted phone holder. As the slot is in the exact position where you’d  want a screen. I was too mean to cough up the £700+ for the Sat nav upgrade. Many cos I’m mean, but also cos I now there isn’t a single car on the market that does a Sat nav that is as good as Google maps on android. So I’d knew Id never use it.

Now my next car, top of the list is android auto/apple car play, as it’s basically an extention of your phone, mirrored on the screen. (it does more but that’s all I’d be bothered about).

*update, yes it means double hight unit.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by The Duke.

Richard
    Participant
    • Total Posts 684
    • @sawboman
      Forumite Coins: 277

No one is further from being an expert than I am so please take this as an initial primer for a conversation…

I understand that may people no longer want CD players but have either music on a USB stick/key or on a player of some sort. My old car has a CD player, which I have never used, my wife’s four/five year old car has a CD player which I believe she has used; my one year old car has a USB port and possibly other options. It certainly has Bluetooth but I use that for the mobile. (I believe that there is a way to connected the mobile to my Satnav to get real time traffic information but it took me 20 minutes last time, plus reading the manual so I have not repeated that too often. As disabled daughter cannot stand the noise of the Satnav guidance that is not a popular option.)

In the end I suspect that it come down to personal choices, and only you, the family or the son in question can fill in those blanks.

Does the ISO cable refer to the way that the radio connects to the inbuilt speakers in the car? That is some form of standard plug and socket set up, but I am outside my comfort zone by a country mile now.

Ed P
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1365
    • @edps
      Forumite Coins: 275

Double DIN is apparently just a size spec. Just out of interest I took a look at these players – in the worst case you could be paying north of £700! Looks like a return to the old hifi tech rip-offs which were the butt of so many comedy skits.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Ed P.

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1809
    • @sgb101

I was looking at these earlier this month for a skoda octavia 2006 model (iirc mk2), and they was around £150-300 on Ali express, for a decent one running android 6.0.

If you let us know the model and year bob, we’ll be able to source you some choices. But remeber the footy is on tonight, so I’ll be dark for a few hours. If we get beat, dark alot longer lol.

Also bob you say radio is not the right term for them anymore. They are now called infotainment systems. That’s not one of my made up names it’s ligit. (the spelling may not be.) not infotainment. Some refer to the systems as Enfotainment too. They are interchangeable terms it seems.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by The Duke.

PlaneMan
    • Total Posts 696
    • @planeman
      Forumite Coins: 217

My car has a CD slot and a USB socket. Never used the CD apart from to check it worked before I bought the car.

My phone charges fine from the USB but won’t play any music, apparently it’s to new for the car so I might dig out a 2012 vintage Android phone and try it, just for the sake of it.

It’s no big deal as I have a flash drive in there and that works great. Steering wheel controls are a bonus.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by PlaneMan.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1421
    • @bullstuff2
      Forumite Coins: 315

Many thanks gentlemen, I now understand Double DIN (cheers, Ed!). My “lad” will be 50 next summer and in some ways he is much farther behind the Tech curve than myself, he has little interest in computing apart from what it can do for his interests. He is Caretaker for a local Grammar Academy Group of several schools, has a lappy that the school was throwing out and an ancient desktop that I built for him years ago. His only interest in computers, is FB for family and mates, of which he has hundreds all over the place, buying and selling his Stationary engines, and using ebay to buy parts for them. Apart from that, he also uses his PC’s to organise Engine Shows, design and print brochures, posters, tickets and leaflets for the Shows. In many ways his head in firmly in the 19th century, but I never met anyone who could fix as much different electrical and mechanical machinery, as my son. His hero (apart from me I hope) was always Fred Dibnah, which tells you a lot! He has a massive CD collection, although I am gradually bringing him around to the realisation that even a 2GB USB drive can hold hundreds and hundreds of tracks. I used to take him up to my garage with me at weekends, which gave him a lot of mechanical knowledge and he has always serviced his own vehicles. Currently he and his mate are restoring a Classic Bedford flatbed: when finished it will go to the Shows with Stationary Engines strapped to its bed.

So he isn’t a kid, Steve, he has two of his own at 19 and 21 years old! He does play CD’s, if that’s what he wants I let him get on with it. But he will always be my lad and we have always been close. He and our daughter think the world of each other, different to when they used to fight as kids! We’re lucky I think, we are solid as a family.

I will not go back to a CD player now, I have USB drives with different music on them and I love that ability to play random tracks. SWMBO and I have just bought ourselves a new Pioneer HFi for the lounge. It will go with my old record deck and I can finally store all my vinyl properly, on the NAS and the external. It is WiFi and Bluetooth, so I can stream with it and it has an optical port which I can use to play through the TV, via the Humax box.

It’s all comimg together…now I just need to sort out the rats nest of cables.

EDIT: nothing my lad enjoys more, than ripping out his car stereo and renewing it. He was an electrician once, but the caretaking pays more and gives shorter hours. He drives a Vauxhall van, even welded a steel bulkhead behind the seats so that his engines don’t come through into the front.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Bob Williams.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1809
    • @sgb101

I just assume it was one of the G children bob. Shouldn’t assume.

Ed P
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1365
    • @edps
      Forumite Coins: 275

This is the skit I had in mind.

‘Buying a ‘gramophone”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members Currently Active: 2
PlaneMan, Sgb101
Keymaster | Moderator | Participant | Spectator | Blocked
Additional Forum Statistics
Threads: 985, Posts: 12,361, Members: 135
Welcome to our newest member, LostSoul
Most users ever online was 11 on June 5, 2017 1:36 pm