Car DAB Radios

HOME Forums Motoring Other Motoring Topics Car DAB Radios

This topic contains 58 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Tippon 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Author

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Coins: 364

Well it is done and early impressions (drive round the block) are very good. The windscreen aerial was a little fiddly (getting the A-Pillar off mainly) but after that a doddle. I’m only using the stock speakers in my car (the unit can support a full boom-boom surround set up) but very noticeable improvement….proof in the pudding will be on runs out of town of course.

Hopefully claw back at least half the cost ebaying the old unit – early days but so far pleased with the upgrade. Not sure how well the adhesive film aerial will cope with cold/heat but we’ll see.

Funny I never bother with DAB indoors – internet radio all the way – but I’m a convert in the car.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by blacklion1725.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Coins: 1,013

Thanks for that BL, food for thought.

I have discovered that Halfords can supply me with the head unit and everything else for less money than everywhere else I have been. I called at the local, had a look at the 2 units I had decided upon shopping everywhere else online. They put me a package together of DD head unit,  back bracket support, converter cables and aerials*. Less than buying the lot elsewhere, providing I order online for pickup from the local store. The young girl who served me recognised me, she’s a friend of my grandaughter, she certainly knew her stuff, walked me away from the manager’s hearing and showed me all the kit. “Don’t buy this, (accessory) it’s more expensive than that one, which does the same job and it’s behind the dash anyway.”

She will sell me 3x aerials separately and will take back any 2 we don’t use “If you come on Wednesday or Saturday, his days off when I run the store.” Asked gdaughter to give this mate of hers a couple of drinks!

Son will ebay his stereo, which is a pretty good single DIN model.

Bought a new – type Boombox for daughter: WiFi, USB, phone connections. It’s a musical Chrimbo: SWMBO and I bought a Pioneer HiFi with lots of bells and whistles:    http://tinyurl.com/ycvyfxgs

Ours is black, not white: look at the lower pic and you will see 2x RCA Line sockets. Our record deck will fit those.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Coins: 836

BL, I’m glad it is working the way that you wanted. That is always a plus.

What does DAB give that other services currently do not deliver?

I have never even seen or used a DAB radio and that is won’t change anytime soon. My wife has her specific wants in-car. Our disabled daughter wants only her own kit plus headphones – and not always even those. She would ever accept my choice, even traffic updates or road directions kill her goat. So silence often reigns supreme . If its just me, maybe a talk programme, Radio Three or nothing. There is not  really much point for me to worry. I’m only doing a few miles there and back to yet another local appointment.

However for those with the freedom to chose for heaven’s sake enjoy it while you can.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725

Richard – for me the main station I listen to was MW/AM only – and the difference in quality with DAB is BIG. There are also many. many more stations on the DAB spectrum than AM/FM so choice really. The only really benefit of pranging my car and a £350 excess was hearing DAB – and deciding I wanted it!

I always thought coverage would be awful with DAB – but from limited experience the opposite is true.

The comparison with FM is probably different and I’ll have a tinker when time permits – but I don’t generaly listen to music stations so it may be a while!

The fairly brutal cut-over to freeview/digital TV hasn’t been replicated with radio and no sign that it will – so I think DAB is still very much an option based on preference/location.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by blacklion1725.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Veering only slightly off-topic: I do appreciate the number of digital radio & TV stations available on Freesat. Local stations especially, as it means I can occasionally keep track of places I have lived in the UK (there are several!) and places I have been and also liked. Stations I don’t want are easily disposed of, which was not the case with Sky.

In the interests of knowing what is happening in places I like, but mainly because I am a nosy bugga, I suppose. 😋🤓

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Coins: 974

For the first ten years we lived in Wales, we still treated Granada news as our local choice. Or itv1/BBC north west.

The issue I had with our “local” news was BBC Wales is basically BBC Cardiff, so the English NW news was more local than the actual Welsh new service. By approx 150 miles or more. Some local news.

Now I simple don’t watch propaganda TV at all.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

I like to watch BBC East Midlands for Nottingham News and a look at the crime reports. Always convinces me that my move here was a good one. There is crime in Lincolnshire of course, but most of it is in Grimsby, Skeggy or Boston. The crime in our area is theft of stuff from sheds,* the occasional car*, taking huge, expensive agricultural machines to break for parts and sell in Europe. And hare coursing, which p****s me off. Just doing it for sport is cruel and wrong, but my big bro and I used to hunt rabbits and hares with whippets, for meat. No point shooting the buggas: they move too fast for a .22 air weapon and shotgun pellets break your teeth! Never took more than we needed for food, and in those days we needed animal protein in the diet! We also used to sneak into a certain game farm, pick up pheasants and partridges, quick jerk of their necks, into the bag and out.

*A lot of that is down to people not taking basic precautions: locking doors, using lights with sensors, CCTV. One local idiot in a large house on the village outskirts, left his door unlocked and his keys by the door, went to bed. Exit one Jaguar XF, a Cooper Mini, with keys and various expensive downstairs stuff. More money than sense.

EDIT: forgot about the ATM’s in some villages. Thieves nick a JCB or similar, smash an ATM out of the wall amd (sometimes) manage to get it away. We don’t have one, since the PO closed.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Bob Williams.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

Thank you BL, I have not been into AM for years. I used to listen a lot in the late forties and early fifties. During the early fifties mother and I used to listen to short wave stations round the world as father was out working in Australia, New Zealand and Indonesia. Of course even the home broadcasts were AM, then TV took over from radio and then into FM. Apart from a short period of short wave listening while spending 20 years overseas AM fell off my radar in favour of FM, basically anything I could stand. Change channel or hit the off button when the programme’s welcome mat wore out. I’m like that with TV as well these days. I had heard that DAB claimed superior sound, but if I can understand the voices, perhaps that is enough for me. Music on the go I do not need, even music at home is rarely listened to by me. I have rather less than no need for a voice commanded music selection system which some I know rave about.

The Duke
    @sgb101

That’s the same with me, i listen to talk shows, pod casts and audio books, so overall sound isn’t high on my requirements. As long as there is no frigging squeal that is.

the squeal in mine is bad when listing to talking stuff, lots of dead air, but if you put music on its alot less noticeable. Sadly I never listen to music.

On long trips more than 30 mins, with wife of kids, I’ll put the music stations on, and put my Earphones in and listen to my phone directly instead of via my car speakers. Most of my travel is alone, So I get to choose.

Update- second thoughts I probably spend more time stationary in my car than I do driving. Given the choice, and I often am, I’ll opt to wait in the car, than in yet another hospital/doc/dentist/you name it,  waiting room. In the car I can recline the chair right back, and fire Netflix up on the mounted phone and listen on the cars speakers. A more civilised hospital trip.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by The Duke.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

Having ‘enjoyed’ greater than 1 hour waiting with either daughter or wife on consecutive Thursday’s I agree on the strength of waiting room-itis.  Sadly for one attendee my presence is essential and secondly the current weather makes car sitting darned cold.

So yesterday I studied the faces of the others who were waiting, I had to say to one face summed up waiters in waiting rooms the world over, a mixture of resignation, frustration, determination and desperation. She should have been a great image for others to study, but should never be so treated, see below.

Only afterwards did I learn the child, who appeared happily and oblivious ,was subject to a child protection order so their stay was the shortest of anyone’s as they were whisked through and away.

The Duke
    @sgb101

I learnt just last months that sitting in your car idling the engine (to keep warm etc) is actually illegal. This is something I do alot.

My cars mpg turns to Litres per hour, when stationery, and it reads 1L/ph if it’s a hot day it doubles to 2l per hour. Bit I’m more than happy with. To me it’s just a tax on waiting.

Just has today’s appointment cancelled due to snow. Living in in a hilly back water area, any small snow and everything come to a halt. Glad the appointment was cancelled as our youngun is also off as their teacher could make it. More like he thought “snow, long weekend excuses”.

Don’t blame him tbh. It did mean after my lad a got off to work, girl to college (who came strait home), me the wife, the dogs and the youngest all got back in bed and had a lie in. Still in bed, and the girl, wife and dogs all snoring.

I have some paperwork to do today, was gonna do it in the car (to circlet back on point) at the ozzy, perfect time to do paperwork, (well excellent work). Now I’ll need to squeeze it in elsewhere.

I may go for a liquid lunch on my own and do it. If these don’t surface soon. I’ll just seek out.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

It now appears that my lad has discovered car audio with DVD, satnav, Bluetooth, Aux, phone and USB. And wants one with all that. Having looked up the price of those systems, I have told him that he will get a lump of money towards one. Unless he wants a parcel to unwrap, in which case he will need to adjust his requirements downwards.

I used to like listening to music in the car, . Unfortunately the experience is spoiled for me now, by having a hearing aid in each ear. The sound is just too changed into upper registers, as I have lost all those registers in my natural hearing. Headphones are fine but I have to remove the aids. Removing them and listening to the car audio is also OK, but I have to have the volume so loud that half the car park can hear my music. And my music is Loud Rock: Stones, Creedence Clearwater, John Fogerty (Creedence founder) and other 60’s/70’s Rockers.

Another problem is that I have to accompany SWMBO when she has an appointment anywhere now, her hip is so bad that I have to go with her. Although that has been true for some time anyway, before the hip flared up. She is forgetting stuff, which is worrying myself and the family. So, particularly with medical appointments, I have to go in with her, to act as a second memory and avoid missing something. I just hope it is not something worse, but we will deal with it as we always do – as a family. I have sympathy for anyone in such circumstances, who does not have the support of a close family. I would be lost without mine.

The difference in my Gert, over the last 6 months, is noticeable. To cap that, she currently has the worst racking cough she has ever had. I dare not show too much sympathy though, she will probably think there is something wrong with me! 😊😉

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725

Sorry to hear that Bob – hope things work out as well as they can. Same symptoms can have lots of different causes so hope there’s an easy/favourable explanation.

…back on the radios – why would you want a DVD player in a car stereo – I know they make them and a lot of the android ones have built in multimedia players too – but why would you want one? You can’t watch a film when you are driving and even if parked up and waiting the head-unit would give you a stiff neck. If it is for storing more music then a usb nano-drive can wipe the floor with a DVD.

The other features like bluetooth, AUX, USB could probably be called mainstream now and a decent DAB head unit (or non-DAB for that matter) would probably include all of them.

I’m driving a Vauxhall combi rental van all weekend – so back to medium wave for a couple of days!

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Exactly what I told him BL: but it appears that he doesn’t want one with a DVD – “I was just saying that they have some with DVD’s dad…”

Yeah, right son, I’ve known that tone of voice for so many, many years! 😏😉 He just wants a head unit that includes bluetooth, AUX, USB and phone connection, which is after all bluetooth. We will get there!

Son actually owns a Combi van, has given up on cars now which means he is possibly (not definitely) approaching maturity. There is only himself and gson ever in it, gdaughter has a car (cracking little Kia Picanto) and he needs a van for his Stationary Engines. Plus a car is wasted on him, they all wind up looking like a tip anyway.

The Duke
    @sgb101

As I said earlier, I often watch TV in the car. Did in this and the old one. Never bothered my neck.

My FiL done historical north Wales tours, and when he was away or couldn’t do it I i wad the back up guy, it wad a decent day out tbf. But it meant two stints of about 2.5h of sitting around. At that one I used the ipad2, and loaded it on my of sapranos episodes. U had on of the magnetic flip covers. The best part of it was you could hook it over the minibus steering wheel, push the chair back and use the vans speakers. It’s was a good way to watch it.

Though I’m a big fan of watching TV on my phone with Earphones/buds in. I find it more immersive than my 40 something inch  tv and surround sound in my lounge.

But not as social.

I wouldn’t want a dvd player in my car, for the same reasons I don’t want a cd player. Disks.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Thanks BL, I just have to make sure that SWMBO knows what she has told me, as she is beginning to think she told me something, forgets that she hasn’t, and blames me for not listening when she “told” me. I have learned to apologise and bottle it up, that is the easiest way believe me.

Well I have sent No.1 Son 6 links to DAB Audios, let him make up his mind and then I’ll send for his choice. That way I cannot be blamed! He seems impressed with “Pure” audio, which is all single DIN, but he can get a conversion kit for the dash.

I sometimes watch videos in the car on the Hudl, but not often now unless I have taxi’d a grandbrat somewhere and have to wait, in which case I am forewarned and take the Hudl. I always have a USB drive with hundreds of rock & 60’s stuff, sometimes fall asleep with it playing at incredible decibels. They used to sneak up, open the door quietly and shout, but the Tucson locks automatically, so they have to bang on the window now. Last time No.2 gson did that, I just started the car and drove out of the car park, he chased me down the road. I stopped eventually.

Sometimes I don’t think they respect their granddad enough …😆🤓

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Should have added:

Pocket, now taken over by Firefox, has been useful in grabbing all the different webpages of DAB audio’s and sending links. I can pick up pages one after another, set links to each and send in an email. Cushty!

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725

Well I can confirm that listening to West Ham beat Chelsea while driving home definitely sounds better on DAB!

Duke – by sore neck I meant looking down at a double-din multimedia head unit, rather than looking at your phone. A lot of the head-units with a DVD player also include the (touch-enabled) screen to play them on. I can’t imagine any way that would b comfortable. I also watch more TV on my phone than my telly, and the 5 – 5.5″ screens are fine for that.

Bob – what do you mean by the DAB audio web pages – just curious – ta.

The Duke
    @sgb101

What a win hay! You done us, and yourselves, a great favour.

Let’s hope big Sam doesn’t wreck my weekend!

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by The Duke.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

BL, I check all the alternatives of some product that I am looking to buy: in this case, a DAB audio head unit. As I find a “possible” I click the Pocket icon at top right of Firefox Toolbar. This looks like 4 small black vertical lines, the RHand one leaning against the others, as if they are books on a bookshelf.  Or I click the Pocket icon at Rhand end of the address bar. This looks like a small black shield, with a white arrow, pointing down. It’s only present in the address bar if I have just used Pocket. If using the “bookshelf” icon, I log into Pocket via Google, or FFox accounts, then the Pocket icon opens in the address bar, if it’s not already been used and is open.

Click on this icon when on a website page and “Save To Pocket” appears. Click that and the web page is saved in Pocket List. To view every thing saved in Pocket list at any time, go back to the “bookshelf” of 4 black lines, click it and click “View Pocket List”.

It sounds complicated I know, but it’s actually easy when used once. I used it before as a Firefox Addon: ffox knew how good it was, so they bought it and installed it as part of the browser. When a choice has been made and bought, hover the mouse on each one not needed and click the bin icon. “Are you sure” pops up and a “delete” box appears. Click that, it’s gone. Easy-Peasy!

EDIT: forgot to congratulate you on a great win against the Blue Buggas. There is a very good coach and manager inside David Moyes IMO, I hope the Hammers bring it out of him. Man U almost ruined the guy, he didn’t need Giggsy and the rest of the Retired Man U Mafia, looking over his shoulder. Fergie gave him a poisoned chalice. Quite pleased today myself, a Forest win, although Joe Worral had to give Bolton one of their goals. Back into the top half, we’ll get vertigo again.

Think one of WHU’s problems was described in something I read today: the wage bill is the 14th highest in the Premier League.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Bob Williams.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.