Forumite

Car MOT ext

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    johnbarry
    @johnbarry

My car MOT was due to run out March but I had it done early (Annual MOT rules) It would have expired in the lockdown the Goverment have given a 6 month extension.

Does this include my MOT meanning next year it will be due Oct not March, I am not using the car so it’s should remain sound.

• This topic was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by johnbarry.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,928

The Government guidance is as usual badly thought  out and poorly worded. link

The MOT on our car expired in April 2020.

As our car needed a service we have just had it serviced and MOTd. The new MOT now expires in 12 months time so the covid-19 extension has given us an extra two months grace. I would therefore say that if you have it MOTd in September 2020 the following MOT will be due September 2021.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,636

The 6 month extension by the Gov’t applies to your existing 12 month MoT issued some time back in 2019. This makes it legal for you to continue to drive around now, ‘without’ an MoT, but with the Gov’ts permission, so long as the car is kept safe for the road.

As you got your car MoT’d before the cut off date ( 30th March 2020 ) it will expire on the date shown on the certificate, or 12 months after the date of the MoT test. This 2020 issued certificate will not qualify, currently, for a 6 month extension, unless lockdown lasts past March 2021, God forbid, and the Gov’t repeats the exercise then!!

My situation is that my MoT expired 14th April this year and I’m under the rules of the extension. I’ve just checked HERE and my car is shown as MoT’d until 14th October 2020. Put your Reg No in this web page and you’ll see when your latest one expires.

MB have also extended the period of the ‘past service date’ time from 90 days to 180 days, so that I will still qualify under their Warranty and Breakdown/Recovery terms. I am also trying with their Customer Service team to get a letter for a free service ( given to me by WX to compensate for a long delay in prepping the car ready for purchase, they had to order and replace the whole sun-roof ( 10 days ) after spending two weeks trying to fix it ) transferred from where I bought the car (90 miles from home in Waltham Cross ) to my local dealership in Canterbury. Haven’t heard back from them yet.

Participant
    Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 2,027

My situation is that my MoT expired 14th April this year and I’m under the rules of the extension. I’ve just checked HERE and my car is shown as MoT’d until 14th October 2020. Put your Reg No in this web page and you’ll see when your latest one expires.

It only shows the 6 month extended date if your car has actually gone past its normal MOT due date. I have checked 4 cars (all of which have an MOT due this or next month) and all show the original (not extended) expiry date.

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

It only shows the 6 month extended date if your car has actually gone past its normal MOT due date. I have checked 4 cars (all of which have an MOT due this or next month) and all show the original (not extended) expiry date.

@boris

From Ed’s link :-

What you need to do
    Your vehicle’s MOT expiry date will be updated about 7 days before it was originally due to expire.

Three days before your MOT was originally due to expire, check the expiry date has been extended.
    If the expiry date has not been extended 3 days before it was due to expire, email covid19mot@dvsa.gov.uk.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,928

Sorry John, I misread your post. I agree with Boris. Your MOT runs out on the date shown on the certificate  — i.e  March 2021. You missed out by a couple of weeks on getting the additional extension

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,715

No John.

Participant
    johnbarry
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 4,618

Thanks for the input, I missed that one then. I could say think on when next one due. But I won’t that’s life and hopefully next time life will be normal or new normal at least.

Cheers
    John

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101

My car has been due a service since April. I contacted the garage then, and they said it would be ok until this is over.

I don’t really care, the car has probaly done 300 miles since then. Probably a bit less.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,468

Got mine in for the 2 year Motability service last year, then they brought it back and gave it another early in February this year. I kept telling them it had been done. After they brought it back I found out they were still thinking it was the Tucson, which I had downsized to an iX20 just over a year into the lease. Since the original Service Manager left for another dealership, the place is disorganised. So I had 3 Major Services within just over 2 years.

The iX20 has only done a little over 16,000 miles, due to hospital stays and lockdown. MPG is the same, but Miles Per Year is very low. :scratch: :-)

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

Just checked the wife’s car and her MoT was due last month on the 21st, the Gov.uk page says her MoT will expire in the 21st November 2020. :good:

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

A friend checked out her car’s MoT info and was told she had 12 days left and should get it MoT’d. ( She said it was in red capital letters across her iPad. ) She’s the sort of person that just rang our local garage, booked it in took it and got it passed OK today. She remembers them saying something about the 22nd June, but not much by way of details unfortunately.

The Gov.uk page hasn’t been updated or changed in the last few days, but the situation may have changed now more garages/MoT centres are open. @boris – keep an eye on your friends’ cars and dates on the page in case there has been a change.

Participant
    Boris
    @boris

Interesting article about this that I found earlier tonight :-

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/still-no-news-cancellation-6-month-mot-extension-research-reveals-drivers-will-mot-anyway/195246

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

That’s a good detailed article, but 2 weeks out of date now. I reckon they could roll it back down gradually. Any extension from June will be for 5 months, then in July, it would be extended by 4 months, etc etc until it all balances out without any unmanageable pressure on the centres.

We shall no doubt see in the coming days/weeks.

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101

This has just reminded me that just as this close down happened I sent the paperwork to the DVLA for a 10 year licence renewal.

Ive never heard back off them and they haven’t taken the money out of my account. I put it down the covid situation, bit I may just update it on line on Monday. Given my licence has been out of date for two months.

It did day on the paper work if you send this off and the old lapses before the new one arrives back don’t worry. But it’s been a good while now.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,468

Interesting article about this that I found earlier tonight :- https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/still-no-news-cancellation-6-month-mot-extension-research-reveals-drivers-will-mot-anyway/195246

No surprise to me is the warning from the IGA that”…drivers don’t care for their cars.” Even back in my time as a workshop foreman and MOT tester, I lost count of the number of late MOT tests I or one of the lads carried out, only to find the vehicle unsafe. Telling drivers that they could not take their wheels away without signing a disclaimer resulted in some memorable scenes! Bad fuel and oil leaks, exhausts hanging off, brakes obviously inoperative, the list was endless. The one I really remember is a local with a Mk. III Cortina that had so many faults making it unfit for the road and was obviously rebuilt from at least two cars: different colour trim and interior gave it away, but when I first tested the seat belts, 2 inertia reels would not work, 3 belts were of different colours.

The one that really annoyed me was my eldest nephew, just 5 years my junior, married and living in Scotland since he was 18. Bought a MGB GT up there, drove down and had it MOT’d at Uncle Bob’s place. I had asked him to do that because I wanted to see it on a ramp (and it was two months out of date!) because I had driven behind it and was convinced it was driving out of alignment. Big line of welds in several places across the floor and chassis, brakes leaking fluid, exhaust had parts of what appeared to be drainpipe welded in. Checking chassis and engine numbers, VIN numbers in 2 places were different. Phoned a mate at Leyland and the engine number was wrong too. Nephew received a severe rollocking and his dad was informed. We eventually sent it for salvage. Last report from Scotland was that he was suing the seller, when the seller departed for places unknown.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    Boris
    @boris

This has just reminded me that just as this close down happened I sent the paperwork to the DVLA for a 10 year licence renewal. Ive never heard back off them and they haven’t taken the money out of my account. I put it down the covid situation, bit I may just update it on line on Monday. Given my licence has been out of date for two months. It did day on the paper work if you send this off and the old lapses before the new one arrives back don’t worry. But it’s been a good while now.

Read this – it may explain things ? https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1298057/martin-lewis-money-show-dvla-photo-licence-renewal-driving-fine

The DVLA has recently announced an extension for some motorists.  Motorists whose image expired between February 1 and August 31 will be entitled to an automatic extension for seven months.

Participant
    Mark Turner
    @turner74
    Forumite Points: 902

Interesting article about this that I found earlier tonight :- https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/still-no-news-cancellation-6-month-mot-extension-research-reveals-drivers-will-mot-anyway/195246

We get this magazine at work even though we don’t do MOTs I have told friends and family even if they have the extension if they can get a MOT done locally (now there are a quite a few places up and running) get it done don’t wait

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

The DVLA has recently announced an extension for some motorists.  Motorists whose image expired between February 1 and August 31 will be entitled to an automatic extension for seven months.

I wonder whether the renewed license will be different to the expired one now we are no longer in the EU, the old symbol on the license of the “UK” in a circle of Eurostars will now be out of date too!!

Actually, I Googled the answer before posting and saw this quote from a FOI request.

“Outside the provisions of the FOIA we can advise that the EU flag will be removed
    from UK driving licences. It is our current intention to keep the EU branding during the
    transition period, which ends on 31 December 2020. The details and data on the
    current driving licence are required by the UN Convention on Road Traffic so any
    further changes are likely to be minimal. ”

Mine runs out in December 2021, so they may have a more UK-centric license by then!! :yahoo:

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101

@boris cheers mate. Great news.👍

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101

@JayCeeDee I just had to have a look at my licence. As I mentioned above it’d out of date, so a month or two over ten years old, bit I could if swore their was a Welsh flag on my licence. There isn’t it’s an EU flag.

I just had to Google and I’m not mad. I remember when I moved to Wales renewing my licence and the first thing I noticed was the Union flag was replaced with a Welsh one. But when i got the outgoing one, in over a decade I never noticed they swapped the Welsh flav for an EU one. Not that a care tbh. But shows my attention to detail is serious lacking!

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.