Car Repair

HOME Forums Motoring Motoring Problems Car Repair

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    johnbarry
    @johnbarry

2003 Peugeot 206

The coil (that big spring under the wheel arch) went I had to have a new one. I noticed gearstick vibration while accelearting in 1st and 2nd gear. Once upto speed there was no vibration and the car cruises as normal. I felt it seemed to calm down. I had new front suspensions and the vibrating gearstick is back. If I pull off and continue accelerating in 2nd it gets worse till I change to 3rd.

I am not sure if this is related to the new coils and suspensions, or if it is just a co-incidence and it’s something else.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by RSB.

It's said to be easy when you know how. If you don't know how, then you need the help of forumites.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 6 replies - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    johnbarry
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 4,169

I didn’t see anything, I feel as it started after having new coil springsand suspension on front wheels it was something to do with it.

Also after the new coil springs and suspension  it looked like a beech buggie with hired suspension, it no longer looks as high.

No charge this time so no receipt/invoice

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by johnbarry.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by johnbarry.

It's said to be easy when you know how. If you don't know how, then you need the help of forumites.

Cheers
    John

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,471

John, If they fitted both sides at the first job, and the car rode higher, it may be that the wrong springs were used. That would have been spotted at the second work and they would have been very embarrassed about it. Someone may well have had a spanner inserted in the incorrect orifice, I think. It’s all in checking the correct part numbers with the right VIN and engine numbers, before ordering.

If that was the case, and incorrect parts were used, it explains why you received no charge for the second job. As a foreman, if that happened in my workshop*, the car should (ideally) never have left the garage before being spotted and corrected. And I would have been annoyed. Very annoyed. Still, at least they put it right.

*Similar stuff happened over the years I worked in the Trade.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    johnbarry
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 4,169

Possibly the wrong spanner Bob, he did say he put the correct number in, maybe not compared to the VIN.

I keep looking for the tremble (it’s created a mental block) it’s not their, hopefully I will forget about it soon.

Cheers
    John

Participant
    Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 3,591

it may be that the wrong springs were used

Believe it or not, I managed to do that to my motorbike once >.<

The rear shock gave up, so I ordered a second hand replacement online and got my mechanic friend to help me fit it. He was new to working on bikes, so we both took it as a learning opportunity. We got the bike jacked up and spent a few hours swapping the shocks over, between doing the actual work and trying to figure out what we were doing. When we were done we noticed that my bike was sitting higher, but put it down to the old shock being completely knackered. He had the same model bike, but it had been lowered, so we didn’t think that anything was out of the ordinary.

Our bike club was holding a rally a few miles away, so we went up on the bikes to test the suspension and let it bed in a bit. When we got there, the first few guys who saw us burst out laughing and asked what had happened to my bike. They even called the rest of the club to come and see. I got off the bike with some difficulty, which was a bit odd, and asked why they were laughing. When I looked at the bike, the back end was about eighteen inches above the back wheel, much higher than it should have been.

It turned out that the ‘compatible’ shock wasn’t, and had completely unbalanced the back end. Ooops :D

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,352

The original Mini is a pain to buy parts for, I have had a few over the years and not one of them came to me with all the correct parts fitted. There are, for instance, at least 5 different top radiator hoses that have been fitted over the years. As it happens the MK 3 cooper S and the 1275 GT share the same hose but they are the ONLY models that use it.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,471

What about the Rover 100? Or, as originally known, the Metro? One of my customers was a driving instructor (taught our daughter) and had been experiencing a coolant leak. Rover could find nothing, so he bought another motor and left the 100 with me: “Just find it, fix it or scrap it!” – He had reached the end of his patience. Well, I found it – an alloy coolant pipe running across the bulkhead had a hairline crack, which I found by removing it, sealing one end, filling with water and sealing the other end. I didn’t just replace it, because I noticed the alloy pipe was contacting the bulkhead and vibration from that had caused the crack.

I made a suitable neoprene pad and fixed it to the pipe. The instructor wrote a nasty letter to Rover and gave me a handsome tip, after which I received a visit from a Rover Suit: “How did I fix it?” That will cost my time and my time is money here, I said. Exit Suit, stage left. No surprise to me when Rover went TU.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 6 replies - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Due to the Corona Virus some changes have been made to Forumite. These include free membership and a dedicated area for the Corona Virus.
PLEASE READ 
Close