Change of ISP

HOME Forums Tech Other Tech Change of ISP

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Coins: 1,236

Today I signed up and returned to Plusnet after 12 months of Sky. Taking Unlimited Fibre, Unlimited UK & mobile calls, Line Rental Saver and their Hub One router. Should be up and running for an 18 month contract before the Sky contract ends on 26/10/17. Paying for 12 month Line Rental Saver upfront, saves quite a bit over the year. Takes it down to £17.51 a month over 18 months, if I renew the12 months rental again. Because the line has to be unbundled from Sky, it’s a bit of a faff.

Upfront payment of £240.39 covers first month’s service, Line Rental Saver, activation, router delivery charges. I wasn’t going to take the Hub One, but am curious to see what it’s like. It’s VDSL, Gigabit, 4x LAN, which is an improvement on the old Plusnet 10/100 box I had a few years ago and better than the Sky Hub, which has only 2x LAN. On the reviews I looked at, it is supposedly a reworked BT Hub5, whatever that means. It’s made by Sagem, which may not be encouraging. If I can’t take to it, I will unbox my trusty old TP-Link 9980, which always served me well in the past.

On another note, I have been busy remounting the TV and ancilliaries, putting up shelves, filling holes left by Currys wall – mounting episode and repainting. I had to dive into the shed to find some bits and discovered lots of boxes for gear either well out of warranty, sold or gone to WEE heaven. I found a long RJ45, which is ideal for moving the new Hub (or 9980) up higher, and lots of various useful cables, including some 5e ethernet. The boxes have been cut up and recycled, everything else may be useful. Some day. Maybe…

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Coins: 715

I recently re-negotiated with Virgin for my cable broadband, first person I spoke to was a complete arse, refused to help and was only interested in getting a new contract out of me.

Spotted a rep at ASDA and had a word with him, nothing he could do for me-he is new signups only but he gave me his wifes number who works in retentions. One 5 minute phone call and job done, no annual increase for 2 years (if I stay for 2 years, 12 month contract only) and a £40 credit on my account.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

That was a lucky meeting in Asda Nolan!

I rediscovered the Plusnet chatline, which is much better than I remember it. Added to which, I like their call centre people: the South Yorkie accent is close to my own North Notts speech and understandable. If you can communicate clearly in both directions, you always stand a chance of getting somewhere. No ISP is perfect of course, and I will probably have some downs with Plusnet, but at least I can talk with them. Communicating with Sky was like washing handkerchiefs when you have the flu. 😝

Amazing coincidence (?) that, less than an hour after I signed up with Plusnet, Sky sent me a final bill and instructions how to pay it (as if I didn’t know!). Buggas think they are being clever, as I have a DD set up. Penultimate payment taken from my account on 26/09, last payment would have been the DD on 26/10. I paid by debit, then cancelled the DD. Bet if I had left the DD, they would have taken 2 payments.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Coins: 1,099

You can’t beat BT’s first line of help in Bangalore for unintelligible accents – and on& off I spent over five years in Delhi! The people who outsource critical customer contact overseas do themselves no favours.

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Coins: 258

Ed P

” .. The people who outsource critical customer contact overseas do themselves no favours…”

I wonder sometimes if it is a deliberate ploy?

To err is human, but forgiveness is not Tory policy!

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

I found it strange for me to have difficulty with the Scottish accents. I have a great nephew born and raised in the far north east, north of Aberdeen. I understand him in person and on the phone. I have friends in Bathgate, Edinburgh, and in Inverkeithing, over the Forth from Edinburgh, is where my two greatest friends in the Army came from, with their children who are my god-children.

The Sky call centre and support HQ is in Livingston, West Lothian, which lies between Bathgate and Edinburgh. I understand all the friends from both those places, with whom I only speak on the phone now, but I had great difficulty with the call centre girls in Livingstone.

In the Army I played in a REME and Army football team stuffed with Scots, including a couple of Glaswegians. I even understood them enough to enjoy their Billy Connolly records and tapes! (and became a fan) I have another mate who lived a place called Castlemilk, which as any Glaswegian will tell you, was built to house the Gorbals overspill and later became worse than the Gorbals. (Although I had a great time there: don’t believe all you hear about Jocks hating Sassenachs – they don’t claymore us on sight anymore!)

I could not understand why I can communicate easily with all those people from different parts of Scotland, but struggled with Livingston lassies. The point of having Telephone Support was lost for me and the ‘chatline’ was deafeningly silent whenever I tried to access it. Sky does not have a clue when it comes to customer support and service.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Coins: 1,128

I’ve never had issue understanding our scottish neighbours, or even Newcastle folk, I always put it down to having a fast accent myself.

Locals to me, say when my finds come to visit my speach speeds up to the point I can’t be understood, I never realised I did this, untill one day my wife’s friend  (local to our current home), when in the pub, said to me, “I’ve been stood here 20 mins, and I’ve not understood as single word you four has said so far”.

The only British accent that has ever stumped me was a lad in RM training that was from a quiet farm in Cumbria. But I think he actually spoke some inbred language. To many generations living on a small farm. His accent was thick, his speed was 3x mine, (which is quick), and he used words I’ve never heard for before or since.

He was also very religious, weirdly so, and slept with his eyes open.

I can remember all that but not his name. Which was a strange old man name like Albert, or Fred iirc.

The one thing I liked about sky was they usually had Irish staff baxk when I was a customer. It felt every other months I’d spend an hour chatting to them. BT I left as u could never get anyone to answer a call. The final nail was when I wanted to upgrade, from wanado to BT Internet, they had a good deal, I spent the best part of a week in hold.

I recall Sat in my office, with the phone on “speaker” while I worked away, iirc it was 4 or 5 days in 4 hour stints. When I finally got a human, I was fuming, already contacted talk talk by this point, and just said cut me off, I’m leaving.

TalkTalk have Indian(ish) call centres, but in their defence in the many years I’ve been with them, I think I’ve had 3 issues, all been fixed relatively fast. I think one took about 2 weeks, when my upto 8meg conection dropped from is usual 3meg to sub 1.

One thing I do hate about all isps, but understand why they insist on it, is them always wanting you to plug in the provided router. I have my TT one still in the box sealed with my own Asus router sat upon it. So when the time comes, it’s to hand and not buried in the loft/shed/office/etc….

Over all I recon they are all about as good as each other. Suppose it all depends on the area you live, and how well the infrastructure is maintained by open reach. As if your local last mile isn’t well maintained, then you have to test how good your isp’s customer service is. I reckon they are poor. So whoever your with if there is issues, you’ll hate your isp regardless.

Though counter to that, I had a friend that lived 200 to 300 meters from my house and he was with TT and he would tell me how bad their Internet is and how stupid their cs staff was.

However he is in his 50s and “doesn’t get stupid computer things”, so I can only guess his issues was of his own doing and he was unable to follow basic instructions.

He would moan that his Internet couldn’t send emails, stuff like that.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Never had a problem understanding anyone from Merseyside* Steve, except one lad from Wallasey in my platoon in NI. He was part of a Pioneer Corps attachment, which probably tells you about the kind of lad he was. Eager, hard working, but a 5 watt bulb. Him and his mates were building a concrete apron (landing pad) for our heli’s and they did a fine job, but they were out in the open and overlooked by some nasty areas. Most were careful, but this lad could not understand why he had to have his SLR with him outside. Best I could make of his reply, was that it got in the way of his work and he might lose it. I imagine him after leaving the Army, working on roads somewhere and driving his boss mad trying to communicate.

But the most illegible conversation I ever had was when another mate took me up to his Geordie village on leave and we went to Wallsend. I sat on a bar stool, waiting for my mate to go round the corner to buy a car: got into conversation with one of his mates for about 20 minutes. I could not understand a word the guy said, just watched his face and said yes or no, mumbled a lot. When my mate returned, we got into his new motor and drove to his house. After a week, I went home to Notts, met my Geordie mate again back from leave in the mess. He asked me what I had said to the other guy: “Not a lot, why?”    “he says he enjoyed talking to you and you are an intelligent guy.” I nearly choked on my pint.

*I had a good grounding in Scouse with the Huyton GF that I was seeing for about 18 months, met her family, (11 kids) spent a couple of leaves there. Half Blue, Half Red… it was interesting. 😎😋 But I had a great time.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Though counter to that, I had a friend that lived 200 to 300 meters from my house and he was with TT and he would tell me how bad their Internet is and how stupid their cs staff was.

However he is in his 50s and “doesn’t get stupid computer things”, so I can only guess his issues was of his own doing and he was unable to follow basic instructions.

He would moan that his Internet couldn’t send emails, stuff like that. ”

This Senior Ghetto is full of guys (and gals) like that, I have gradually stonewalled most of them. One woman I got very tired of helping,  because she just would not listen. She has just returned to Sky for the second time: while I have lived here (14 years) she has had at least 3 other ISP’s.

It’s always their fault and the computer/TV/tablet/radio always has a fault, which is of course the seller’s or manufacturers fault. The Openreach van is always at her house.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Coins: 1,128

In these guy(and gals) defence Bob, I’ve come to fine it’s there fear of “somthing” that makes them so bad with anything computing related.

My wife is a good example, she is well educated and rather bright, however she is a disaster with anything tech related. If I ever try an talker through a fix, it’s never ends well. She just falls to peices, and seemingly looses the ability to follow directions, and just randomly press buttons, and totally forgets basic navigation functions around an os.

It’s quite an amazing site. Her mother and father are the same. The mother is now in that dangerous positions that she knows just enough to get herself into trouble.

Reminds me of an old football saying, “he is is just good enough to get you beat each week” lol

Read the majority of our defence. All decent enough, but just enough to get to beat. After Saturday (tomorrow) I may go dark, if our back 4 don’t pull their figures out.

If we get a bad result tomorrow, which is likely, an not convincing on Thursday, come Sunday and spurs, if that too goes against us, I think Ancelotti may have Jurgens seat.

I don’t think just a united thumping will be enough, (especially ad we are one point better off than last year, not that the press have remembered),but this meat week, I think is make of break for klopp.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

My Gert is just the same and really intelligent with most things Steve: gets totally panicked by every message on her lappy, even the ones I have explained over and over. Won’t even do Windows Updates, I have to check them out “So they don’t break anything.” That’s why I spent a long time setting up the Lenovo Lappy before she used it. Being a Lenovo, I have left some of the Bloat on it, just the protective stuff that automatically cleans up for her. It took me a long time, but now she can carry out AV scans and even use the Temp folder to clean up. I have always said that everyone who buys any device should have to have some simple User Instruction.

My missus was, until 1999, a PA for 3 people: the MD and 2 deputies of a big educational furniture factory, which employed disabled people, mostly injured ex-miners and was run by the Council. She had her own fancy work station, a chair on a track which zoomed along between 2 monitors and 2 computer stations, running the Orders/delivery/invoice databases. She practically ran the place, until a botched operation completely messed up her right hand. The MD, a great guy, tried to get the Council to send her to a private hospital for treatment as the NHS had no clue, but they wouldn’t do it. 2 years later the government withdrew funding to the Council for the factory and it closed, Every school our grandbrats have attended, we have gone to their Open Days. She points at the school furniture – “That’s one of ours, that’s one of ours – etc, etc.”

2 years after she retired, my missus had lost all interest in computers. Between then and 2012, she had fallen behind and forgotten everything. Our son is happy with the old Core2 PC I built him  yonks ago, not interested in Gaming but uses it for work and for running his Stationary Engine Club and Shows. His son, my No.2 gson, is an avid gamer, has a desktop I built for him and keeps upgrading it. He is part of the generation that grew up with computers as always being there: fingers fly across a keyboard, but being dyslexic cannot write like he types. He is now fixing PC’s for his better-off mates, for money of course! His sister has our old HP lappy, which is about 10 years old now. All she does is recipes (she’s a Chef), FB and music videos. Calls in little brother when it does something she can’t handle.

My team plays Derby on the enemy ground on Sunday. There is always trouble: like all local derbies, it can get violent. Most of my family in Notts don’t go to the away fixture, but will be at the City Ground for the return match. It’s always played on Sunday, nearly always at 12:45. Being so close along the A52, there are supporters of both teams working together in different places by Monday. I’m hoping that the Rams are the miserable buggas having the p*** taken out of them this Monday. We have to start winning some consecutive games soon, last season was 1 point from a drop into League One.

I think your team has the opposite problem to mine: we defend well, dominate possession at times, can’t score enough goals and always seem to concede in the last few minutes. It’s a very young team, some Academy players. All the Youth teams do well, but can’t seem to make the step up.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.