Cheap 120GB SSD

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Cheap 120GB SSD

This topic contains 67 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Boris 5 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 68 total)
  • Author

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Coins: 847

As the title, be quick!

My Instagram

My YouTube

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Coins: 1,054

That is cheap, but a bit small for me – and all systems are already with an SSD, I saw a few other ‘reasonable’ deals yesterday, but nothing to match that.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    Forumite Coins: 718

128 is plenty depending on the system “In my own opinion”. All my machines run on 60 ssd’s and never had a warning. Granted I never save anything local and one of machines sends it’s cctv recordings to a spinner. Horses for courses.

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Coins: 354

I bought the P3 version of this one in March 2016 for my old laptop (at the same price less 5%) – good bit of kit. Still going strong !

So I’ve got another one – to go in Mrs B’s netbook.

Thanks PM

Location - Twixt Severn and Wye
    Status - "Retired" - but not as far as my wife is concerned !!

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Coins: 449

Excellent and perfect timing – cheers PM

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Coins: 1,315

Good size for a Pi media server, you just need a cheap usb->SATA link

Pimoroni is not the cheapest but you may find it a useful Pi link, I also use Hobbytronics – one of the lesser known suppliers.

Boris
    @boris

From the specs – the NAND is TLC rather than MLC as in the one I bought previously – but for the money – good !

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Coins: 827

Bagged one. I have several TLC SSDs installed in “office” machines and they are perfectly OK.

I’ve been using KingSpec 128GB for £31 on Amazon (and the Drevo equivalents) with TimeTec Hynix ram for “office” type machines – including my own.

Boris
    @boris

Mine has just been delivered – minimal protection,  just a clear plastic case in a jiffy bag (no box) – hope its OK

Boris
    @boris

BTW, they still have stock at £24.99

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Coins: 1,290

I was looking for an micro sd to full sd card last week. And found a 240 and a 120 ssd still sealed in boxes. I buy too much crap when on offer. (You should see my steam account )

Spedley
    Participant
    @spedley
    Forumite Coins: 122

That is a bargain and just what I could do with but really can’t spare the cash atm.  Noooooooo!!!

i7 4790s / 8GB / 480GB SSD / GTX 980 / 34" UltraWide : i3 4170 / 8GB / 480GB SSD / GTX 770 / 24" Samsung : i3 4130 / 8GB / 500GB Spinner / GTX 1050 / 23" Acer : Q9550 / 8GB / 1TB Spinner / GTX 580 / 22" Acer : i7 720QM / 8GB / 1TB+2TB+500GB Spinners (server) : i5 4570 / 8GB / 60GB SSD / 1TB / GeForce 210 / 22" Dell It's getting warm in here!

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Just used mine on an old PC that got moved to my mates office/ An X4 Phenom II 3.1Ghz (B50 so probably an unlocked X3) on an Asus M4A77T motherboard with 4GB ram and a Seagate 500GB spinner. Must be 6 or 7 years old by now.

Anyway, visited and it’s sounding like a bag of spanners in a washing machine and taking ages to load, straight into a temporary profile as it can’t access the proper one. How do people let things go this far? Especially as guess what? There are no backups and 2,124 files in 84 folders of stuff is scattered around the desktop.

It’s got Win 7 Home running a hooky copy of Office 2007 and I think all the apps that don’t auto update are in the same state they were when I handed it over. A quick trip to EBay and a tenner bought W10 Pro and Office 2016 Pro+. I have some spare Kaspersky licences and an old 1TB spinner retired from my NAS that’ll do as a backup target (Kasperskys come with basic backup software now).

So 3 hours later we have a fresh copy of W10 on the SSD, all software installed and up to date, files copied from the old drives – mercifully all intact. Just got to setup the backups and the jobs done. It tootles along very nicely indeed, £35 well spent.

BTW there are still some left, going to bag some more right now.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Coins: 449

Still surprising the boost and SSD gives. The laptop I got my mum after a different thread was an older i3 with 8GB RAM ans a 1TB spinner. Put a a spare 120GB SSD in it, binned the DVD drive and stuck the spinner in its place in an internal caddy – runs like the wind now.

The one from this deal is due to replace an old OCZ that is playing up (after many years) – or maybe its just a shafted windows install. Either way it was over due a re-install and a new SSD at this price was an easy decision.

Still must be the single biggest performance boost (to the user, not benchmarks).

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Coins: 1,054

Yes, even on older hardware it can give a real boost, perhaps it is even more effective in terms of a performance boost when it replaces an old asthmatic spinning rust bucket. Perhaps it would help the youngest family portable which now feels rather dog slow, but I cannot face the work and hassle for the moment. It does make me wonder how useful benchmarks are to the average non-enthusiast.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Coins: 760

Mine’s going into my main PC for now. This system has been upgraded from Win 7, and probably XP before that. As you can imagine, it’s well overdue a cleanup…

I planned to do it last weekend, but an update on shutdown went horribly wrong, and it took me hours to get everything back up and running ( a Windows update wiped out the boot record, but for some reason, even a windows USB was falling over ).

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Coins: 1,290

I think once you put an ssd in your PC, you then have to upgrade all your pc’s. I think it was Moses that first said that. Tbh I heard he was more forceful than that. Bit like most he said, it was true.

I first put an ssd 30gb in my 2008 thinkpad, at that time in daily use that low powered c2d machine felt as fast as my then top of the line over clocked i7 920 with a spinner.

Thats how much an ssd helps in making a system feel snappy. It won’t help encoding, rendering etc, but in an old system it helps it feel far faster than it it. Or was pre ssd.

All my ssd’s would be classed as dog slow today. They was all “cheap” when new, and I don’t think I’ve bought one that’s in use, in 5 years. My 2 spares I must of bought 2 years ago. But I very much doubt I’d feel the benefit from upgrading to a faster ssd from a slower one. Benchmarks would but not to an extent worth it.

Ive upgraded for size, but speed no.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Benchmarks? The OP used to call them willy waving. All I care about is that the PC now boots in 20 seconds and opening an office document is a couple of seconds.

Backing up to an internal drive isn’t ideal but at least it is a backup. It’s no worse than a USB drive left plugged in, but if cryptolocker gets on there it’s game over.

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Coins: 279

My work laptop is a spinner and it’s horrendous. I turned it on about 15 minutes ago after a reboot and it’s sat here still churning away doing something. Took me ages to get to the point of being able to do anything. Feels dead slow and it’s not that slow of a processor. I dread having to open a CAD file from a client, as that grinds the machine to halt for a period of a time.

I’ve not got the 128GB one advertised – tempted, but I’ve a 60GB sat doing nothing (well, it’s in an external caddy now and will be used as an external drive)

Boris
    @boris

Heads up – the VC5 code giving you 5% discount on these is working again – so they now cost £23.74

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.