Cheap 120GB SSD

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Cheap 120GB SSD

This topic contains 67 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Boris 5 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Author

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Coins: 449

Nice one Boris – grabbed another

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Coins: 354

Me too 😀 – at that price how can you not afford to ?

Location - Twixt Severn and Wye
    Status - "Retired" - but not as far as my wife is concerned !!

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Coins: 1,290

Just grabbed one for my SiL. As my BiL  has taken his laptop away with him and left an relativly new HP i5 laptop with an ssd at home. I was the other day as I couldn’t find my usb dvd and need one ASAP to rip files off a disk, (don’t ask)! and omg the boot to a usable desktop, as in a desk top that would let you do anythin, took ages.

I’m not messing just or it to notice the dvd must of taken 3mins or more from hitting go.

I was alone in the house that that time, but later in I mentioned it to the BiL wife, and she said, she doesn’t use it as it’s slow, I mentioned an ssd, and here we are.

I could of given her one of the two I have, but 1.i have plans, and 2 both are well out of any type of warranty. So for £23 I grabbed them one.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725

Did an SSD in my Mum’s HP laptop – an i5 – 19″ job, maybe a little older. Fiddly but the online service manual was pretty good. The spinner went in an caddy in the DVD drive. Absolute chalk and cheese in terms of speed/experience. Great upgrade at this price, and its less of an issue that she likes to turn it off if she hasn’t used it for more than 30 seconds!

The Duke
    @sgb101

I was hoping (expecting) the hp had an hdd access port at the side like the thinkpad and dell’s, one screw to hold them in.

I’m not putting the hdd back in the cd bay, 1. They don’t need the space, 2, that is the only dvd drive I have access too atm, and 3, I cba with the messing 😋

It’s a much never cpu than on my current thinkpadx220 with ssd, so this will be a little cracker once the hdd is gone.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Coins: 827

All of the consumer laptops I’ve seen recently have no hatches. My Lenovo V110 is described as a business laptop but had to be split in two to upgrade the ram and get at the HDD.

The Duke
    @sgb101

I wish I never offered now! With win 10, install of usb, auto authenticate, and drive hatch, I was expecting a 20 min job! Ffs.

I should of checked before I opened my mouth.

Jukebox
    Participant
    @jukebox
    Forumite Coins: 189

Probably a daft question! Would I need some sort of mounting kit to fit these in a laptop?

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    Forumite Coins: 718

Not in a laptop no, not usually anyhow.

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

The Duke
    @sgb101

No it will/should fit in cradle / slot the hdd did.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Coins: 847

It’s possible if the lappy is old it’ll be slimmer than the hdd. You might need a replacement cradle then.

It’s unlikely though.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Coins: 760

I haven’t got this one to hand, but the last two I bought had a spacer in the pack too.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Confirmed, they do have a spacer. If anyone ever needs one I usually have a spare.

Boris
    @boris

They also have the 240GB P Series 5 version for £49.95 – use code VC5 to reduce that to £47.45

Click

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725

They also have the 240GB P Series 5 version for £49.95 – use code VC5 to reduce that to £47.45 Click

Boris are you trying to skint me ! Must resist….must resist….

Boris
    @boris

They also have the 240GB P Series 5 version for £49.95 – use code VC5 to reduce that to £47.45 Click

Boris are you trying to skint me ! Must resist….must resist….

I just can’t bear to think of you missing a bargain 😉

Boris
    @boris

My second 120GB one arrived this morning 😀

Under 48 hours between ordering on Monday morning and delivery this morning (from Switzerland).

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Coins: 1,315

Thanks PM – I needed a SSD drive for my School Pi Project but the one I thought was spare had gone where old drives go to die.

The Duke
    @sgb101

The laptop turned up, it’s a hp pavilion G02KF3D, not a drive bay insight, lots of screw and plastic clips.

Long story short, I have a yet another ssd to add to my spares collection, and the SiL still has the slow ssd.

If it was mine I’d swap it, but the laptop is relatively new so I’m not breaking it.

This is progress I presume!

I wouldn’t mind if it was some tiny ultra book, but I could surf on this thing! I think it’d 17 inch, could be 15, I’m use to 12s, so it’s like a HD tv to me.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Just had to take the back off a Toshiba as glacier like Windows and the user also complaining about it only working on mains. Once it had booted tests confirmed a tragically slow read rate. Great, a use for the SSD. Battery seemed OK though.

14 screws later the back actually came off quite easily. HDD put in caddy and data transferred. Hmm, doesn’t feel like a HDD on it’s last legs. Run test again on my desktop and the HDD is fine. Strange.

SSD in laptop in horrible rubber caddy, its really not designed to be worked on, won’t start. Phone customer and find out what I hadn’t been told, it’s had a glass of red spilt into it. Motherboard is the culprit, not the HDD and that explains the battery thing too.

Desktop I built 4 years ago arrives at the door, running slowly. WD Blue 1TB really is the cuplrit on this one. I know this guy, doesn’t do much. Great a use for the SSD.

Since I last saw him he’s been made redundant and started his own blacksmithing business. Loads of videos and photos he’s taken to show prospective customers, way too much for 120GB so had to order a 240GB.

Damn.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.