Forumite

Cheap 120GB SSD

Viewing 11 replies - 161 through 171 (of 171 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,617

They defo would have, as soon as they knew supply was dropping. Trying to compensate on the potential profit drop.

Nothing like turning a bad situation into profit.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,287

Look at laptop prices and availability.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,565

Shenzen (China) is pretty much back to work, so if you do not mind waiting  (freight is an issue) and do not mind a quality gamble, then it may be worth looking at Alibaba for SSDs.

You will need to do your own research on the brands. While Alibaba itself is a reputable company to deal with, getting RTM guarantees may result in you paying more in freight than the product is worth. This is an area where Buyer Beware holds good, and why UK middlemen need a large mark-up.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,490

Look at laptop prices and availability.

Hi Dave – in itself it isn’t a bad laptop – HP255 G4 with an A6 6310 with 3Gb ram. She got it off a niece who wanted an upgrade for her birthday, about 18 months ago. It was in brand new condition and I put W10 on it straight away, before she saw it, as W7 was coming out of updates. It’s still in good condition now she vapes, so it doesn’t get fags and ash dropped all over it. :wacko:

Hi Ed – the reason we’re still together is because when it came to getting anything for the wife, I never tried to go cheap, or drop quality; ( unless she specifies it herself – hence she still drives a 52 Ka instead of the A class or Smart I offered to get her. )

She might nod in approval at the price from AliBaba, but my ears would be pinned back when it went TU!! All her appliances are Bosch, but at the lower technical end of cutting edge!!( Not too many bells and whistles.) Her maxim has always been go for quality, but then attack the price!!

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,565

False economy John – having lived and worked in China you would be surprised just how many ‘top name’ electronics brands other than Apple are manufactured there. Most have standardised manufacturing processes and QC.

Same goes for clothing except substitute Dhaka Bangladesh sweat shops for Shenzen and they are often homes for High Street equivalents of  both Primark and Prada, and are often in the same building and on the same floor and use the same workers! The only difference is that sometimes better materials are used, and they sometimes  use different QC metrics.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

Shenzen (China) is pretty much back to work, so if you do not mind waiting  (freight is an issue) and do not mind a quality gamble, then it may be worth looking at Alibaba for SSDs. You will need to do your own research on the brands. While Alibaba itself is a reputable company to deal with, getting RTM guarantees may result in you paying more in freight than the product is worth. This is an area where Buyer Beware holds good, and why UK middlemen need a large mark-up.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————–

False economy John – having lived and worked in China you would be surprised just how many ‘top name’ electronics brands other than Apple are manufactured there. Most have standardised manufacturing processes and QC.

Ed, the quotes above aren’t quite contradictory, but exemplify the problems from buying from AliBaba and the like. Something is never cheap, if you have to buy it twice!! I looked on the AliBaba SSD’s you linked and it had the feeling I would be buying from a market stall. The Kingston brand appeared, but logos looked a bit off, some others were a lot cheaper, but had a minimum of two to five units, plus with other unknown brands you are taking a chance on them even doing the job reliably, as you intimated in the first quote with your research comment.

While it’s ok/irrevelant to buy an inanimate bit of plastic cheaply, a couple of well known companies have had problems with SSD’s where a cheap controller screwed the device later on, hence my initial thoughts on wanting to buy a known brand, through Amazon or a UK company. :good:

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 7,395

JCD would a 120gb Kingston be of any use for now? Pretty certain I have a unused one here.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

JCD would a 120gb Kingston be of any use for now? Pretty certain I have a unused one here.

That would be great, Nolan, thanks. :good: :yes: She’s only got W10, a couple of browsers, Kindle and some games, no Office or any big programmes. PM me and let me know what you want for it, I’ve still got your PP details.👍

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 7,395

No problem.

I’ll get onto it later.

Having a manic clean out before the recycling and waste is picked up.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

Having a manic clean out before the recycling and waste is picked up.

I’ve been doing the same in the garage and garden. My problem is our local tip is run by Kent CC and is shut. There’s lots of people urging for it to be re-opened because of the increase in fly tipping!!

When doing some research on the increase, I read about a place near (ish) to you HERE that is used for fly tipping – on an unused stretch of dual carriageway!! Crazy!! :negative: :scratch:

Much appreciated.👍

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,463

Our dump Council recycling facility also closed, at exactly the wrong time for me! I had put loads of (non-corruptible) rubbish on the back garden slabs at our old home, and was planning to remove all carpets, which they ask us to do when we leave. My son and I were going to collect it all and take it to the Council facility, but Covid intervened. I have written and emailed the Housing Association Big Boss, explaining why we could not do this. So far I have nothing but a deafening silence and I do not want be charged for this. Our old bungalow was No.5 in a line of 6, connected by  small utility rooms. No.6 next door had died some weeks before we left and both are now still empty, or “Void Properties” in association language.

Have a feeling I will need my friendly solicitor…

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 11 replies - 161 through 171 (of 171 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.