Forumite Forums General Topics Tech Gaming Cheating.

• Creator
    Topic
    Monkey Shoulder
    Participant

Hi there,
      I have been playing a beautiful game called “Remember Me”, but I am crap at the combat and have been stuck at the beginning of Episode 3 for ages.
      I have been pointed in the direction of a “Cheat Engine” or “Trainer” as they call it downloadable from  “www.cheathappens.com “. They only want a fiver for it.
      Has anyone any experience of such a thing? Is it dangerous and likely to infect my PC with something? What’s the risk?

Is there any kind of  “cheat engine” which will work for many games, not just one?

Hope you can help

S

Philosophy is the new rock and roll.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Bob Williams
      Participant

I confess to not being a Gamer, and I mean this question as honest enquiry, not insult.

But why cheat? I honestly do not see the point in cheating to achieve anything. Surely the point is to compete, do your best and win or lose using your own resources. This is happening throughout modern life, people doing anything to better their competitive activity, whatever it may be.

As I say, I do not mean it as an insult, just an honest question about something that frankly baffles me.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
        I'm out.

Drezha
        Participant

Bob – here’s why as explained by Dara O’Briain 😉

"Everything looks interesting until you do it. Then you find it’s just another job" - Terry Pratchett

Bob Williams
          Participant

Ah yes Chris – now I understand. Took an Irish comedian/scientist with an IQ of around 3 zillion to make me comprehend the finer points, but I got there!

Although I prefer Tommy Tiernan, meself.

I'm out.

The Duke
            Participant

Bob I just lost an hour to that Irish guy. Very good indeed.

Monkey Shoulder
              Participant

I confess to not being a Gamer

If you were a gamer, bullstuff,  you might understand my question better! Thank you drezha for your excellent ref. to Dara O’Briain, who clearly does understand.
                I may well be “wasting my life”, playing video games, but my life hasn’t given me much in other respects, and strangely, or perhaps not so strangely, as a loser in life I am a loser in video games. As Dara points out, unless you “git gud” at the game, which may not happen, even after hours of punishing failure, you may never see the end, even later parts of the narrative.
                I play lots of games, have over 50 titles on Steam, and have pursued my interest by building better and better gaming PC’s to play them. As a PC enthusiast I was a MicroMart subscriber, and a visitor to the old forum.

“Remember Me” is a graphically beautiful game, and I would love to see the remainder of it, but unfortunately my skill at combat seems insufficient to get past a sticking point around the beginning of episode 3 which is only about one third of the way through the game. There is a You-Tube video of a complete “performance” of the game by some kid who must have faster reflexes than me, but that’s not what I want. I just need to be able to survive the impossible (for me) fight sequences and play out the story as the character and see the end.

So I ask again, has anyone any experience of “cheat engines”?

Ed P
                Participant

Bob, I would also classify myself as ‘not a gamer’, rather I am a person who from time to time plays games. I also write programs so I know a little about the black art of writing games programs. Sometimes programmers get too full of themselves and put in little ‘mind games’ that block or could block progress. An example might be an opponent that can only be defeated by a weapon that is locked away in a combination safe. In an ideal world the programmer will hide a suitable clue quite nearby, but sometimes the programmer has a brainstorm and hides the clue a metaphorical half-block away. Rather than trying an average of 300 combinations to get the answer I think the quite reasonable options are to either throw away the game or cheat by Googling for the answer!

With respect to cheat engines – sorry I have no experience but warn that you really need ones you can trust if  you want to avoid your expensive  pc becoming a botnet zombie.

The Duke
                  Participant

There is a number of games “throw away” items of no use towards the beginning, if you discard them, towards the end of the game you’re sol.

I like city builder games, I will always do the first run in sandbox mode, as I want to play the whole game, with out money constraints. I don’t see this as cheating, as city builders have enough to think about with transport and pop growth.

Tippon
                    Participant

my skill at combat seems insufficient to get past a sticking point around the beginning of episode 3 which is only about one third of the way through the game … I just need to be able to survive the impossible (for me) fight sequences and play out the story as the character and see the end. 

I know what you mean. There’s a section in Rogue Trooper where it suddenly turns into an FPS and is quite fast paced. It’s completely at odds with the game up to that point, and I’ve never got past it. That was years ago, and it put me right off the game.

wasbit
                      Participant

Just look for a walkthrough – lots of them about.

--
                        Regards
                        wasbit

Rig 1: Optiplex 3050 SFF
                        Rig 2: Asus ROG G20CB (rebuilt wreck)
                        Rig 3: HP Elitebook 8440P

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

Monkey Shoulder
                        Participant

Just look for a walkthrough – lots of them about.

Yes I have seen them, and they are no use to me.

Look at it this way. Eli Jay, (14) can do a Rubik’s cube in 7 seconds.

I can usually do two layers in about a quarter of an hour, but I can only finish a Rubik by carefully following instructions like R2URUR’U’R’U’R’UR’ and so forth. Furthermore I don’t seem to be able to LEARN how to do this, just in the same way as I have been learning to play the guitar for years and can still only knock out a couple of Joni Mitchell or Bob Dylan tunes, even with the words and music in front of me. Some people seem to just pick up a guitar and have a crowd of 90,000 people cheering them at Wembley. That’s talent I guess, but for most people, like me, we try and try and try again, and get nowhere.

The reason that I am fearful of the “Cheat Engine”, and no, I still haven’t tried it yet, relates very much to Bob (Bullstuff)’s question.  It’s that some people seem to think that those who wish to “cheat” are fair game for exploitation because they are in some way morally substandard.

I have revisited this question, because I think it deserves a longer treatment. But rather than here in a technical forum, I would like to move it to a more general area like “Other Stuff”.

Thanks for taking an interest.

MS

The Duke
                          Participant

I don’t see it as cheating as long as your not playing against other humans.

I like city builder games, and I’ll almost always play my first few runs in sandbox mode, as even with unlimited money and all options available, there is still the task of actually getting everything to smoothly and grow.

I like the traffic management the best, so i like unlimited cash . as all limiting cash does is slow you down to a crawl in the early days.  There is still many limiting factors even with unlimited cash.

Some games, like transport fever , when i don’t think I’ve even played it out of sandbox mode.

Bob Williams
                            Participant

I don’t mean to disparage or demean anyone who uses gaming ‘cheats’. After all, as I stated, I am not a Gamer myself, so I probably don’t really understand the philosophy. I have just revisited this Thread and spoke to my Gamer grandson, who has put granddad firmly in his place: “Nothing wrong with it granddad, as you would know if you were gaming regularly. Since it doesn’t do anything for you, why not leave those who enjoy gaming, to their own things?”

“So, then you are telling me that even you cheat occasionally?”     –     “I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that it may cheapen my reputation amongst certain circles.” (Pause)   “Actually I may or may not have applied cheats in gaming myself, but I have written a few for others.”

Smartass grandsons are a PITA.

I'm out.

Wheels-Of-Fire
                              Participant

I don’t know of a universal cheat engine but they do exist for some games. Does punk buster still exist on steam though ?

I like id software games BECAUSE i can pull up the console when i like and cheat just enough ?

My stratergy is to try a sticking point for about an hour then cheat because as mentioned above i like to see the end of a game. I paied for the whole thing after all.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
                              Forumite