Forumite

Clock

HOME Forums Other Stuff Clock

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Robin Long 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

I’m putting this out wherever I can. I had one of these as a kid, but the motor died. Been thinking about getting one for a while. Seems they are like hen’s teeth now (unless I want to spend £2,000). If anyone sees one in working condition and complete, please let me know.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clock-Parts-Rolling-Ball-x/dp/B005WIQF36

Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 2,048

There’s a couple on Ebay in the States – HERE and HERE. About $200 + shipping.

Robin Long
    @knightmare007
    Forumite Points: 42

Presuming you still have the original, you could try he appears to sell motor kits, though they are American.

Cheers Knight,

RIP Spike09 Your Missed
    If I'm not here, I'm there.

Finally joined Twitter! longr79

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 1,336

Yes, I should have said I’ve seen a couple around in the States. I was hoping to find one in the UK, but if I must, I must.

The original is long gone (it was more than 30 years ago with many life upheavals since), sadly.

Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Robin Long
    @knightmare007

Having looked, unless second hand your unlikely to find on in the UK did though find This.  The son of the original inventor is now(apparently) making them again at <$300 before shipping its certainly better than your first price.

Cheers Knight,

RIP Spike09 Your Missed

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,926

Oh the tick on that would mentally destroy me. Not that I don’t think it very cool, but I have to put my wrist watch on the other side of my bedroom as I just can’t stand ticking.

We don’t own a single clock in our house. Watches, phones and computers do it.

My Fil hates that we don’t have clocks, he gets visibly angry lol.

But I hate the tick, and LED anything in my book can go to hell. Oh the humble LED, you cost me so much in good quality black duck tape.

Yes I’m weird.  :wacko:

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,965

I love those Ball Clocks! Family call me The Clock Monster, there is at least 1 in every room of the bungalow. Living at my granparents’ Staffordshire cottage as a kid, I would fall asleep in a feather bed, listening to the Grandfather clock in the hall, chiming quarters and hours. As I was having a very bad time at home then, it became a comforting sound. Granddad was not the Clock Monster there, that was gran, born in a Romany van in the West Country. She brought the clock, pots and pans to the marriage: how her family managed with that massive clock in the Van, I can only wonder at. The pots & pans were used to make some of the tastiest meals I have ever eaten. Granddad bought me a Mickey Mouse watch in about 1950, I wish I had it now!

My lovely MIL did me an enormous honour, by giving me the old mantel clock that was her grandfather’s. He was a Griffiths, a watch and clock maker and repairer in Nuneaton. He also travelled around Warwickshire and Worcestershire, setting and repairing church clocks. The mantel clock had stopped and needed repair, which caused me to take it to a clock repairer: his work was carp and the clock is now the world’s slowest timepiece. It has not stopped in 2 years, but just keeps going very, very slowly. I must make a point of finding a recommended clock repairer.

Mickey mouse watch, 1950 –

Memories! The oldest memories are now becoming the sharpest in my mind.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

I’d found the idle-tyme site (and they do look very nice). I would happily go second hand, but even the British museum has one, so it shows how rare they must be now. I think I may have to bite the bullet and order international.

@TheDuke. It’s not just the tick. You should hear them at 1 O’Clock when all the balls go. I used to have it in my bedroom when I was around 15 YO and could sleep right through it. The rest of the family hated it 🙂

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 4,636

Roll your own!

link

Robin Long
    @knightmare007

$25 for the plans!!! that said you could prob make your money back building them!!

Cheers Knight,

RIP Spike09 Your Missed

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

If I had a workshop, or even a garage, I’d give it a go, but in a one bedroom 3rd floor flat, it would prove something of a challenge 🙂

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

See if there is a ‘Shed Group’ in your area!

link

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

See if there is a ‘Shed Group’ in your area! link

Heavens to betsy, who’d a thowt it? Sadly, no :/

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Mk II suggestion – see if there is a laser cutting company in your area who would make the parts, and what they would require from you to do it on the cheap. Then it would only become an assembly problem.

Google on “laser cutting services (your area)”

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

I imagine that would probably be more expensive than buying, but, I wonder if I could build for 3D printing (I’m quite handy with Cinema 4D and Blender, both of which can work to real world scale). The advantage of this approach would be easily sourced replacement parts.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 2,048

$25 for the plans!!! that said you could prob make your money back building them!!

Along with a 3D printer???………………….

Robin Long
    @knightmare007

Along with a 3D printer???………………….

or This spread the load over a few companies so they don’t wise up to our plans!!

Cheers Knight,

RIP Spike09 Your Missed

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.