Forumite

coax joint

HOME Forums Home and DIY Visual & Audio coax joint

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    johnbarry
    @johnbarry

When I moved into this property, the previous tenant (was evicted) had cut the aerial cable outside the living room window. I re-joined it by using a connecter block (240v 5amp type) over the years it seemed ok, I once had a freeview recorder, also freeview on the TV and had no problems. I had cable TV, then sky so I didn’t bother too much about the aerial. Times have changed and I have gone back to a freeview recorder (HUMAXFVP-5000T Freeview Play Smart Digital TV Recorder – 500 GB) I keep getting a message signal weak and the picture breaks, often the TV Guide is empty (nothing to display). I purchased a signal booster, it seems the same. At one point I was wondering if it could be down to a local ham radio interference. Or is it my joint, could it be wet (I only used insulation tape at the time) I now have some amalgamating tape (blacklion mentioned on here recently) If I re wrap with amalgamating tape would it repair or is it behond repair. It’s tipping down as I type this, maybe that won’t help.
    I used a connecter block rather than plugs and coupler, not confident in stripping off the plastic sheath, I tend to cut the silver strands, I can’t play too much or the cable will become shorter and end back to the chimney.
    I just don’t know what’s best.

It's said to be easy when you know how. If you don't know how, then you need the help of forumites.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    blacklion1725
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 3,234

John I would do an F-type on the end of each cable and join with an F-Type barrel connector. Stretch and wrap that self-amalgamating tape round it (go a couple of inches either side of the joint) and you should be set fair. If yor not confident practice on an old bit of coax first, but that is the way to do it in my opinion. Lots of videos on youtube for doing F-types – easy once you have done a couple.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 7,570

+1

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 4,063

Second attempt at posting – last one disappeared into the ether, or has succumbed to requiring approval.

Either THIS, or as a second option, THIS.

depends on access/manual dexterity/excess cable.

Participant
    johnbarry
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 4,024

Thanks Blacklion & JC I will practice then give it a go.

It's said to be easy when you know how. If you don't know how, then you need the help of forumites.

Cheers
    John

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 7,570

Even if you go for the one with the rubber boots (looks good) I’d still wrap it with amalgam tape as well.

Participant
    Alan Wood
    @alanrwood
    Forumite Points: 671

A bodge joint in co-ax will always degrade the signal as it will present a different impedance to the signal resulting in reflections etc. If you are receiving a strong signal this might not be apparent but weak ones are likely to be distorted.

I agree with the advice already given, do a proper job and it will last.

Participant
    Richard
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 6,239

After 25 years or so of use my aerial feed produced similar performance to that you which reported. It turned out that the coax had essentially rotted away on the passage from the roof to somewhere more useful. I do not ‘do’ roof visits, so I needed the help of an expert who had not seen a rotted installation like mine work at all. The inner and outer were not separated by anything except a bit of surface corrosion. The connections you are looking at are an obvious first port of call, but there might just be other issues.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,140
    Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 13,425

Do not forget to check the connections on the aerial lead(s). Although your bodge is likely the weak point I have experienced a situation where the aerial lead into the TV was pulled (a grandchild tripped over it) and one of the connectors came partially apart.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 13,425

[My edit did not work!] I tried to add a comment that any cable hidden under carpet is suspect. For reasons I do not fully understand. foot traffic on the carpet will over time cause internal breakage/bad connections within the cable. Coax is not as bad as Ethernet cable, but it can still happen. (power cables should NEVER be routed under carpet for the same reason.)

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Ed P.
    Participant
    johnbarry
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 4,024

Thanks for the further pointers, I have considered getting the coax (from aerial) changing, how long has it been up, who knows, could it even be the aerial, who knows. I need to work backwards starting with the cable/s. It comes in the corner of the window, then I have some pre wired cables from it. I will try with a single pre wired to the in part. It’s terrible rain so the joint needs to wait. If that doesn’t work I might try re fitting from the aerial (proper aerial bloke needed) but then while he/she is up their why not a new aerial?

Cheers
    John

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.