Coffee Spilled on My HP Pav

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Coffee Spilled on My HP Pav

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Ed P 7 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Margarita Stine
    Participant
    @itsmargarita

I have immediately shut down my laptop, wipe off the coffee, and removed the battery. What else do I need to do? Will it still work? I have actually paid $200 for my MacBook to be fixed a few months ago, and now I am worried that the same thing goes for my HP Pav.

Spread the love
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,195

How much coffee spilled on it, and are you confident enough to open the laptop up?

If you can remove the keyboard, you should be able to see what sort of state the inside of the laptop is in and get a better idea of how bad it is.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,853

I hope it wasn’t good coffee!

Minimin you want to take the key caps off and clean it out with 99% alcohol, failing that pound shop nail varnish makes a perfect substitute.

Does that laptop have drain holes, to channel spills through the chassis? If so just cleaning the keys will do.

If not, you’ll want to stop it down, and get some 99% alcohol, (ebay is cheap), make a bath in a small tub and wash the internals out, as coffee will leave behind a residue.

As you pulled the battery there should be no real damage atm. I’d strip it down, good time to de dust the innerds, and alcohol bath it all. Your only real issue may be a hdd, I’d defo bath the hdd a couple of times to work any coffee out of it. If it’s an ssd I’d just wipe the exterior down.

If it was a minor spill and the lappy has no drain holes, I’d still pop the bottom off and At least look to see if anything is on the hdd.

If it is minor and you have drain holes, I’d just pop the keys off and clean under them with alcohol or nail varnish remover  with a few ear buds.

If you don’t have the confidence to take a lappy apart, you could dunk the lappy into an alcohol bath, dip soak 5 mins thank out, dry and repeat 3 times. Open the screen up, and just bath the bottom/base half.

Though a quick youtube search or ifixit search should find a good teardown video of your product.

Good luck. I wouldn’t chance inverting the battery until you have checked it out. Alcohol is safe as it pushed any water out and then evaporates. Pick a good 99.9% food/surgical grade isopropyl alcohol. A tenner should get you 2litres delivered.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,285

“I’d just pop the keys off and clean under them with alcohol or nail varnish remover with a few ear buds.”

One at a time, or start with a keyboard photo  unless you want to spend time looking for a keyboard layout diagram.

Been there – got the scars!

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 1,565

There is some merit in looking to see how far the fluid penetrated, but only if you are confident to take things apart, though please do be careful about static protection.

My daughter used to splash things about as though spraying holy water, it did not have a divine effect!

Her keyboards either ducked a soaking or sadly became fit for the bin. It was impossible to recover them even after a strip down and careful drying.

I agree ED’s point about key caps if you end up with a bag of them, good luck you would need more than dumb luck.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

I’d agree with Steve’s point about using IPA. It is a fairly benign solvent that is actually fairly skin friendly.(Another name for 50:50 IPA is rubbing alcohol). That said it would probably be a good idea to put a good splodge of E45 skin cream on your hands afterwards.

Steve pretty much bathes in acetone so I’m sure he would just treat IPA like water!

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,853

Lol, yes it dries my skin out, so some form of hand cream is a good idea.

Margarita Stine
    Participant
    @itsmargarita
    Forumite Points: 71

Good news is that the laptop perfectly works, the problem is that space key won’t function well.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Sometimes the keys slightly obstruct one another when you reinsert them. I would see if I could figure out which keys are obstructing and prise off these and then reinsert. Failing that if the keys are ‘sprung’ it could be that the spacebar spring is slightly out of place, though that sort of mechanical setup is unusual for a laptop. If it is a ‘pad/springy button’ contact prise off the spacebar and see if it has got displaced away from its contact point on the key.

Well done for the repair, it looks like you only need to do a bit of fiddling to finish it off.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love