Forumite

column width

HOME Forums Tech Software Talk column width

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by oldtimer 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

oldtimer
    Participant
    @oldtimer

Just to show I am up to date I am still using Office 1997.?  It does most of what I need so why change?

Well, it  does not read docx files and does not run under Linux. So I loaded Libre Office to download docx then save them as doc. files for Office 1997. It is a bit of a pain but I only produce/read docx files about 5 times a year.

I could  use Libre office full time and that was the plan until I discovered that in the spreadsheet, col. width is specified in cm but in Excell it is specified in characters which seems to me to be much more sensible in an application that uses numbers.

So does anyone know if it is possible to change the basis in Libre Office to the same as in Excell.

Its easy when you know how

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Points: 1,182

Hi, Not really certain what you mean – you can increase the column width in both LO and Excel simply by placing the mouse pointer on the join between two columns and then move the desired column width to the R or to the L as necessary.

I am assuming that this is not quite what you are after but having looked at both s/sheets I cannot find anywhere where it specifies column width either in No. of Characters or in cm/ins.

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 1,952

Have you tried downloading the compatabillity pack for MS Word ? Microsoft says it only works on Office 2003 and above but I have installed it on Word 2000 and it lets me work with docx files just fine. I would be interested to find out how far back the support really goes ?

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,965

I was using 97 Pro myself until I changed to OpenOffice. I downloaded the compatibility pack when I originally installed OO, had no problems at all saving in either format. Sometimes there is a warning about saving in original format when converting a saved document, but I have always ignored that and never suffered any loss. I would think that Libre Office will have the same pack.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

oldtimer
    Participant
    @oldtimer
    Forumite Points: 60

Pehaps I did not express mysf properly.

Re Excel Col Width.  Right click on the top of any column then select Column Width.  Up pops a box with a number.  This refers to the column width.  On an unmodified spreadsheet this states 8.43 which I presume is the default width. It is perfectly wide enough for 8 characters plus a decimal point and I have always assumed it refers to characters.  Do the same in LO and up pops a box which states 2.6cm.  It does not seem to be as user friendly but in time I could get used to it if there is no alternative.

Re Word.  I had a major “melt down” a while back which wiped out the OS and the compatibility update files.  Sadly MS does not have the old files and although I have tried the newer files they say there is no software on the PC that is compatible with the compatibility updates.  However I might have struck lucky on this because I have an old machine which had been updated and I think it might still have the upgrade file on it.

Fingers crossed!

oldtimer
    Participant
    @oldtimer

Seems to have worked!

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Nice to know ?

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Interestingly Windows update seems to think I have Office 2007 installed because it keeps sending me updates and bug fixes for it but I really do only have Word 2000 ?

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 2,048

….but I really do only have Word 2000 ?

Maybe the “backwards compatibility” they espouse, qualifies you with regards to updates, ie, anything to update W2007 gets sent to users of 2000!!

TCBarrett
    Participant
    @tcbarrett
    Forumite Points: 218

Just a random thing, as I know this is a tinkering community. If you change the .docx suffix to .zip, and then unzip it, you will find all the somewhat-humanly-readable XML files that comprise your document…

Family. Coffee. CrossFit. WordPress. にほんご。

oldtimer
    Participant
    @oldtimer

Interesting.  Something for one of those days when I am looking for something experimental to do.??

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.