Forumite

Copy and paste from emails

HOME Forums Tech Linux Talk Copy and paste from emails

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by D-Dan 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

This may not be specific to linux, but since I use Mint (19.2), I will ask here.

I am a member of various email lists, and if some useful info is included in an email, I (used to) select the text of interest, ctrl-C, open Writer, then CTRL-V to get it into a document. Recently, however, it has not worked. Other than doing a screen shot, then using an OCR prog, does anybody have a solution to this?

Cheers, Les.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,371

Is it Thunderbird? Just tried it in TB in W10 and it works just fine.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 2,968

Again on Thunderbird on W10 – I use that a fair bit, usually on Customer service emails – I copy and paste their promises from their  emails and let them know it hasn’t happened!!

Last tried a couple of days ago. No problem. Works OK today too.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 634

You won’t believe this. I went to the same email which would not copy two days ago, or this morning before I posted the above.

It works for you, but it does not work for me, lateral thinking time.

For the FIRST TIME EVER, I opened Libre Office’s “Impress” as I guess it is different to Writer, but capable of holding text (maybe). I selected just the first line of the mail **, ctrl-C then in the Impress box, ctrl-V. There it was.

I deleted it, selected ALL the wanted email text, and again transferred it to Impress, and there it was.

Now for more lateral thinking. Open Writer, ctrl-V, and there it is again.

I still don’t know if it is “just working” once more by coincidence, or if opening Impress was relevant. No doubt I will find out in due course, but for now it is working.

** The reason I only tried one line is that there have been occasions when copying a whole article would not work, but a paragraph might, but sometimes only sentence by sentence.

Les.

Still time to edit.  I saved my Writer document and closed it. I then returned to the Impress item, selected all except the first line (to ensure the original not in memory still), opened Writer, ctrl-V, and NOTHING happened. More to think about, not sure any of it makes sense.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 6,375

Random email TBird under Ubuntu, copy &paste of multiple lines to Libre Office worked without issue.

One quirk I have noticed is that Linux sometimes clears the copy cache if you have closed the originating document. The latter does not seem consistent but I have never investigated the parameters.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

Edp, I have not tried any more yet, but do have some more emailed stuff to copy and save.

I learned about the loss of copied data if you close the originating source a long time ago. I do a lot of copying and pasting when I create certain drawings, so I have an almost automatic routine of ctrl-c    alt-tab   ctrl-V   alt-tab to move back and forth when just copying individual elements from drawing to drawing.

Les.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,371

Rather than ctrl-c, does a right click on the selection bring up a context menu with copy on it?

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

Dave, yes, tried that as well.  In Terminal, only rt click – menu works. For years I only knew of that, before I discovered ctrl-(loads of things). I have not got my printer properly installed (should use the HP-Linux drivers), just the default stuff. certain items (pdfs opened in the default prog I think) will not bring up printer. However I find ctrl-p allows me simple printing. Similarly because not HP drivers, my scanner is not recognised by PC, so I go in via Firefox, 192.168.  etc. and use the PSC’s inbuilt stuff.

Every year I learn at least one new dodge!

I have some more stuff to copy/paste later if time allows, so I will do more experimenting.

Cheers, Les.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 6,375

In a terminal use SHIFT Ctl V to paste and SHIFT Ctl C to copy.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

Edp, if I can remember that, it will be another instruction learned this year!

Cheers, Les.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 1,403

Try using a clipboard manager (https://www.tecmint.com/best-clipboard-managers-for-linux/ for a selection), that way, you can see what exactly has been copied.

Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!
close-image