Forumite

Cracking Little Pi4+SSD Box

HOME Forums Tech Makers & Builders Raspberry Pi Cracking Little Pi4+SSD Box

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

I wanted a neat setup for a Pi4+SSD, and settled on the following Geekworm kit from Amazon:

X825 SSD Board

Matching Metal Case with Power Switch & Cooling Fan

The combination results in a compact 11.3x9x6.7cm box with integrated power switch and fan. Stressing the Pi kept temperatures below 42C and the set up is whisper quiet.

The only downside is that wifi is carp, Geekworm blame this on noise from the SSD link but I suspect that the metal box may be the cause. Simply fixed however with an external wifi stick.

There are similar sized boxes for a DAC/Amp expansion board, as well as setups for the Pi3. Worth a look if you are in the market for a neat Pi4/SSD setup.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,804

I’ve been looking at the Argon ONE M.2 Raspberry Pi 4 Case, it gets great reviews.

It also has two full-sized HDMI ports, Power Management Modes that allow for automatic booting and built-in IR support.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 17,429

The Pi4 runs very hot, which then causes it to thermally throttle and perform no better than a Pi2. For that reason a metal honeycomb case plus fan was an essential spec. Cut-outs to support all the Pi outlets and room for a HAT were also part of my spec.

One other oddity of the P4+SSD combo in any setup is that it is at best marginal on a 3A supply. The Geekworm setup uses a 4Amp supply that completely eliminates the dreaded under amp lightning symbol.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Ed P.
    Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Yes I’m learning about my Pi 4. I got the LABISTS Raspberry Pi 4 Starter Kit Pro from Amazon as I needed a case, Micro HDMI Cables and an SD card. It’s now got a SanDisk Ultra Fit 64 GB USB 3.1 as the boot device and I’m wondering if I really need an M2. However, if I decide I need more storage or one ends up in a production role then that will make sense.

The 3A power supply seems to be doing the job but it’ll probably end up being PoE powered via a splitter and sit in the comms cabinet. The kit’s heatsinks and fan are doing the job and it’s silent. Might be different if it was thrashed but I don’t think that will happen.

It’s in a different league to the 3 though and if I was told all I could ever use again is a 4 I wouldn’t be crying too much. However the costs of a fully kitted out RPi are rising to meeting the NUC form factor coming down. The Gigabyte Brix Intel Celeron N4000 is going for £109 with a 128GB SSD and a kb / mouse set + £18 for 4GB ram and runs W10 quite happily.

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 3,144

stunning. I will be watching the pi4 and up from now on.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 3,144

Lol. They will be running it in a web browser next.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

Vulkan soon!

link

Incidentally Dave, if you use BT+wifi neither works very well as the Broadcom code uses shared space for both. Stutter and dropped bytes is the main symptom (best observed using a BT speaker). If this gets a pain then disable wifi/BT, and add BT/wifi sticks instead. Music over BT is unplayable unless this is done.

To disable either/or

Add dtoverlay=disable-wifi to /boot/config.txt

and/ or dtoverlay=disable-bt to the same

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Ed P.
    Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

That’s a pain because I have a lovely little battery / micro USB Bluetooth speaker I use in the workshop. Currently plugged in via the audio cable whilst I’m messing about testing things.

I was looking at an unused BT kb / mouse set too that a customer didn’t get on with. Both kb and mouse recharged via micro USB so very thin and no buying batteries.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

You MAY be lucky, suck it and see. Some say that if you can use 5GHz then the BT interference is an acceptable level.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

For reasons I really do not understand VLC was unstable, and made it a pain to select tracks for a playlist. I wasted a couple of hours trying to fix, then came to the conclusion that maybe the latest release of vlc32 under raspi was buggy. I gave up at that point and installed Ubuntu64 for the Pi4. That was an inspired decision everything is now much smoother and stable. Bluetooth paired and played on a speaker like a dream (it is often a pain under raspi)

For those wanting to repeat the experience, I downloaded Ubuntu from the official Pi site, used 7zip to unzip it then used Win32DiskImager to burn it directly to a 256Gb SSD. If instead you want to stick it on an SDCard, then the MINIMUM size to use is 16Gb (preferably 32Gb). If you go smaller it will not fit, and 16Gb does not allow you sufficient space to run apt-upgrade! :wacko:

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

should have mentioned that I’m using a 2Gb Pi4. Ubuntu is quite demanding so a 4+Gb Pi4 would be better

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I have the 4GB and toyed with the idea of Ubuntu. I’ve got a spare 256GB SSD at the moment, might give it a go in an external caddy.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

Mate is lighter than Core, and 32bit is lighter than 64bit.

Ubuntu Core 64bit passed a 24 hour stress test of playing all my music albums while running the xscreensaver Webcollage (the latter was continually accessing the web and downloading small random images).

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

I was true to my comments and installed the raspt Ubuntu Mate (gorilla version) via the Ubuntu site. I’m really pleased with it – a very sharp screen themed in black with nearly all the software I need.It also runs a little cooler than the Ubuntu core version and looks much nicer! B-)

Btw avoid the btrfs version you will find on the web, I just could not get that to work with an SSD (ok for sd only use).

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.