Windows 10 Cumulative Updates

HOME Forums Tech Windows Talk Windows 10 Cumulative Updates

This topic contains 144 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Wheels-Of-Fire 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Spread the love
Viewing 20 replies - 21 through 40 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 849

November 14, 2017—KB4048955 (OS Build 16299.64) – various quality improvements.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4048955

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Boris
    @boris

November 30, 2017—KB4051963 (OS Build 16299.98)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4051963

This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features.

Alan Wood
    Participant
    @alanrwood
    Forumite Points: 615

I updated 10 machines yesterday. two failed and needed me to download the executable version which worked in both cases. What I don’t understand is why the update was called:-

2017-11 Cumulative update for Win10 V1709 for AMD64-based Systems.

This was the title shown in Windows update even on systems that were Intel not AMD.

Funnily enough the reference to AMD64-based does not occur in the downloaded exe file.

Anyone know why

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 1,478

They have done that before. Seems to happen off and on anytime they talk about X64.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

The last update broke Office home and student 2016 on two of my mum’s friends computers.

The update disabled the Office click start service preventing Office from starting. Just setting the service back to automatic fixed it.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,126

It’s called AMD 64 as it was AMD that designed the “X86” 64 bit code we use today and Intel licence it (Intel went off down the Itanium route which ended up in failure).

Not had an issue with Office yet, but 2 PCs in one office both had the network port of their shared office printer set to LPT1. That obviously stopped them printing!

Alan Wood
    Participant
    @alanrwood

Thanks for the info David. That does explain the anomaly. I have learned something new today.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Yep Intel said at the time that it was not possible to extend X86 any further with a 64 bit version and that was why they were starting afresh with the Itanium.

Before the Itanium launch they also said it would do X86 emulation in hardware at about the same speed as a real X86. The Itaniun actually does emulation at about 25% the speed.

Intel was seriously wrong footed when AMD came up with AMD64 and microsoft wrote a version of windows for it.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Intel even had a problem with their naming conventions because they had retro named X86 as IA32 (Intel Architecture 32) and named the Itanium IA64.

What were they going to call their 64 bit version of X86. They settled on IA32e.

Boris
    @boris

December 12, 2017—KB4054517 (OS Build 16299.125)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4054517

update includes quality improvements, No new features.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,352

While normally I have no problem in using the automated update system, it is a disaster if Windows is used for 24/7 security purposes. One recent such roll-up on Windows Home totally stuffed a week’s cctv recordings. If you have the same problem in letting Windows update run rampant you can simply zap the Windows Update Service afaik this is an all or nothing nuclear option so do NOT use it unless you are willing to take full responsibility in turning updates on or off. (there is no fine-grained control). This does NOT turn off security updates so unfortunately my security system can still be zapped by ‘security’ updates.

I think if I still can an unacceptable number of problems I am going to have to somehow install Windows 7 or move to a Linux setup (not a trivial move unfortunately as I would have to re-roll my security system).

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 1,226

Just been told to “restart to update for new options” by a blue W10 style dialogue box, hit the restart now and it got stuck on the spinning dots for an hour and a half. I had to do a hard reset.

That’s either one hell of an update, or – as I suspect – it’s having problems updating because the Fall Creators Update failed through various files being missing. I’ve not bothered to deal with that yet, and I’ve managed so far as all the earlier security updates have gone through fine.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 1,226

Apparently it’s ” Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709.”

EDIT – found the reason – 1709 is the Fall Creators Update – I’ll set that to run overnight – I’ve already had a nag screen!!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by JayCeeDee.

Alan Wood
    Participant
    @alanrwood

Might be quicker to use the Media Creation Tool.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,087

Alan, I agree, I have done four machines that way a while back. Most of the family devices were stuck back on older Windows 10 versions then one, a 2008 Dell portable, made the leap straight to Fall. With another, software issues interrupted the game so I replaced the spinning rust with an SSD and doubled the memory before a re-install using the media creation route. The machine went from 32bit to 64bit at that time. The other three machines were done during daylight hours via the forced route with everything under control so no unexpected results. They took various amounts of time, two had SSDs and one, the slowest portable a spinner. The process took a noticeable amount of time, but when planned it was no great challenge and I knew all was well by the end.

I have one machine left to update and for the moment, that’s as in ‘left well alone (on 1603?)’ . The user is a ‘challenging person’ with a number of ‘issues’ both physical and ‘other’ – the effects of any disturbance to their bubble are rapidly very apparent!

It is interesting that John’s machine waited so long before stepping into the water, perhaps our remaining machine will take the automatic plunge. However, I was also told that a glitch with some earlier parts of the update 1609 process might require the forced route via media creation to be used.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 1,127

The MCT has got me out of jail on (a) a Windows tablet with only 32GB storage and (b) another PC that just didn’t like the Fall update and kept failing.

Took me a while to find out that you create the MCT USB, but don’t boot from it – instead plug it in and just run “setup.exe” – this seems to be the only way to use temporary external storage if you are low on space. Why the “normal” update won’t let you use an external HDD/Flash Drive/SD who knows?

Have a feeling that Windows 10 is starting to get messy. Everything update-wise used to just happen – still does on some machines, but getting to be a chore on others.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 2,008

Another one for the MCT, I  update my little Dell  using that whenever there’s a big update. Nothing critical on it (tv box essentially) so it just has a wipe and reinstall of the latest Windows version.

My Instagram

My YouTube

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725

PM from memory you have the same mini dell as me (3050)…if you want to wipe and reinstall fine, but you can use MCT to update without reinstalling… just done the fall update on mine …plug the MCT usb in and launch setup.exe (while windows is live)…. you’ll probably need another blank temporary usb drive plugged in for temporary storage but it will tell you if you do…it then updates, keeps your apps and all relatively painless.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 2,008

Yep, that’s the one.

The way you describe is how I keep my mum’s ‘disposable’ Win 10 laptop updated, one of the super cheap low spec jobs that she takes on holiday.

She can’t remember half her passwords so it’s easier that way, for me I just have to log in to Netflix and Amazon and it’s good to clear the crud out.

My Instagram

My YouTube

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725

Fair play – makes sense

Viewing 20 replies - 21 through 40 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love