Windows 10 Cumulative Updates

HOME Forums Tech Windows Talk Windows 10 Cumulative Updates

This topic contains 99 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by JayCeeDee 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 100 total)
  • Author

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Coins: 449

Fair play – makes sense

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Coins: 344

If you updated your Windows 7 PC to Windows 10 during the free update period just to get it registered on the Microsoft hardware database then I find it is usually best to do at least one clean install using the MCT later.

I updated my hobby PC from W7 and the next few updates worked fine but then ALL updates started failing. A clean install fixed that and it has not failed an update since.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Ed

I have just read your post about Windows update causing problems with your CCTV recordings. Have you tried disabling the update service wuauserv ? I have heard that this will stop all updates even on W10 home. I have not tried it myself though so if it works let me know 😆

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Coins: 1,315

Ed I have just read your post about Windows update causing problems with your CCTV recordings. Have you tried disabling the update service wuauserv ? I have heard that this will stop all updates even on W10 home. I have not tried it myself though so if it works let me know 😆

Disabling the service stops MOST updates but M$ ‘security’ updates do their own not so sweet thing as they do not use the update service.

I understand WHY M$ want to force better practices on everyone, but their one size fits all policy is a major PITA. A warning and two weeks notice of an enforced update would have been ok and given time to get organised. (that delay would cover most vacations)

• This reply was modified 6 months, 4 weeks ago by Ed P.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Coins: 827

Windows 10 Pro is a tenner on E-Bay.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Dave – can you upgrade from Home with it without a fresh restart?

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Coins: 827

I believe someone here did actually do just that – Drezha? Might have been on the old forum.

However the keys you get from EBay are for fresh installs only.

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Coins: 354

January 3, 2018—KB4056892 (OS Build 16299.192) – just installed OK for me

– but there appear to be 4 known problems with it – see https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4056892

Two of these have no solution as yet :-

1. Windows Update History reports that KB4054517 failed to install because of Error 0x80070643

2. When calling CoInitializeSecurity, the call will fail if passing RPC_C_IMP_LEVEL_NONE under certain conditions.

Location - Twixt Severn and Wye
    Status - "Retired" - but not as far as my wife is concerned !!

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

It isn’t totally satisfactory but zapping all but the mandatory security updates seems to keep the PC on line over the patch Tuesday problem.

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Coins: 279

I believe someone here did actually do just that – Drezha? Might have been on the old forum. However the keys you get from EBay are for fresh installs only.

I did indeed. Just put the code in on Windows 10 Home (can’t remember where) and it then updated itself and updated in Win 10 Pro. I can confirm I started with Home and then moved to Pro, because initially I couldn’t install Biotlocker but I could after the update and that’s Windows 10 Pro only (for boot drives IIRC, as a Windows 10 Home can use a Bitlocker drive, but not as a boot device.)

Spedley
    Participant
    @spedley
    Forumite Coins: 122

I once swapped hard drives between two machines, both with Win10.  I didn’t realise but one was Home and one Pro.
    The Home version started auto updating itself to Pro but the Pro version wouldn’t downgrade to Home and wanted me to upgrade or suffer the consequences.
    It wasn’t an issue for me because I was then going to restore the disk images back onto the swapped drives but interesting that everything worked fine, installing motherboard drivers etc without problems.

i7 4790s / 8GB / 480GB SSD / GTX 980 / 34" UltraWide : i3 4170 / 8GB / 480GB SSD / GTX 770 / 24" Samsung : i3 4130 / 8GB / 500GB Spinner / GTX 1050 / 23" Acer : Q9550 / 8GB / 1TB Spinner / GTX 580 / 22" Acer : i7 720QM / 8GB / 1TB+2TB+500GB Spinners (server) : i5 4570 / 8GB / 60GB SSD / 1TB / GeForce 210 / 22" Dell It's getting warm in here!

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Coins: 354

January 31, 2018—KB4058258 (OS Build 16299.214) – quality improvements

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4058258

– just installed itself OK

Location - Twixt Severn and Wye
    Status - "Retired" - but not as far as my wife is concerned !!

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Coins: 501

As I’ve said before, W10 has been giving me grief because I’m still on 1607 Anniversary Edition and it seriously wants me to upgrade to 1709 Fall Creators Edition, it keeps trying and my download so far this month is currently running at 20gig.

This in itself doesn’t bother me, I’ve been trying – unsuccessfully – to update to it along the way, but it keeps failing. Current setup is, in itself, working fine.

I’ve put an SSD in and connected it up, and copied from the 1709 iso all folders and files, so the SSD is sitting with boot, efi, sources, and support folders plus autorun.inf, bootmgr, bootmgr.efi and setup.exe files.

My aim is to load 1709 onto the SSD, so…. whilst in my current W10 environment, if I click on setup.exe ( on the SSD drive ), will it be installing ( or failing ) onto the SSD or my C drive??

Sorry if it’s a daft question, but I’ve been in and out of this rabbit hole so much, it’s driving me mad (der?)!!

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

I really wouldn’t try it JayCD and especially not on an efi system. If you really want to try it then backup ALL your settings and data first because the chances of a non booting system are fair to good !

If you only want to put the latest W10 on your ssd then I would disconnect your HD and boot from the installation DVD or USB stick.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee

Cheers Graham, – yes, I’ve been trying that already with a USB stick and a DVD, both bootable, from the UEFI Bios. Having real grief. Got it to install once, but no Internet connection, despite being ethernet connected to the router and my phone able to access the internet by WiFi, also the screen res was awful with no suitable adjustments available.

In the end I formatted the SSD and tried again, but just end up with a re-boot/Uefi screen loop or offering recovery mode which also goes nowhere. Tried removing various options quoted as problematic, such as second screen, USB external drives, internet access etc, but still no joy. Hence the attempt through windows with the iso copied to the SSD.

Cheers for the info anyway.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee

Sorry for double post but…………………………………..

Well, it’s an over-used expression, but you could have knocked me down with a feather today. I checked the computer first thing this morning and was greeted with the “Downloading Windows 10” screen at 11%. Thought, make yourself some breakfast, watch a bit of TV and check it out later.

Got a bit busy and have just come back to it now. Turned it on and I was greeted with an MS Edge window titled “Welcome to the Fall Creators Update”. Checked Winver and it’s showing 1709 Build 16299.125.

Seems it didn’t like what I was threatening to do and decided to do what was required of it after all!! Yeah right!!! I’m not sure whether to put it down to perseverance or good fortune, but I’m glad it got there in the end.

Cheers all.

Alan Wood
    Participant
    @alanrwood
    Forumite Coins: 231

Sorry to be a downer but you still have a fair way to go.

The latest version is   1709.16299.192

It will most likely download these updates over the next few days or try a manual update to get it out of the way. Take a backup first just in case.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Coins: 1,054

Wow I am on 1709.16299.214, does this mean I am ahead of the game?

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee

Now I’m finally on 1709 I can sort out ( or it may well do that by itself  as Alan says ) the smaller revisions. Happy to have got to this stage.👍

Alan Wood
    Participant
    @alanrwood
    Forumite Coins: 231

Wow I am on 1709.16299.214, does this mean I am ahead of the game?

Aren’t you the lucky one. Guess the rest of us have this trial to surmount yet.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.