Tech Windows Talk Windows 10 Cumulative Updates

This topic contains 65 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by JayCeeDee 1 week ago. This post has been viewed 1860 times

Viewing 9 posts - 28 through 36 (of 66 total)
  • Author

Alan Wood
    Participant
    • Total Posts 81
    • @alanrwood
      Forumite Coins: 74

Thanks for the info David. That does explain the anomaly. I have learned something new today.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 215
    • @grahamdearsley
      Forumite Coins: 73

Yep Intel said at the time that it was not possible to extend X86 any further with a 64 bit version and that was why they were starting afresh with the Itanium.

Before the Itanium launch they also said it would do X86 emulation in hardware at about the same speed as a real X86. The Itaniun actually does emulation at about 25% the speed.

Intel was seriously wrong footed when AMD came up with AMD64 and microsoft wrote a version of windows for it.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 215
    • @grahamdearsley
      Forumite Coins: 73

Intel even had a problem with their naming conventions because they had retro named X86 as IA32 (Intel Architecture 32) and named the Itanium IA64.

What were they going to call their 64 bit version of X86. They settled on IA32e.

Boris
    • Total Posts 128
    • @boris
      Forumite Coins: 71

December 12, 2017—KB4054517 (OS Build 16299.125)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4054517

update includes quality improvements, No new features.

Location - Twixt Severn and Wye
    Status - "Retired" - but not as far as my wife is concerned !!

Ed P
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1365
    • @edps
      Forumite Coins: 275

While normally I have no problem in using the automated update system, it is a disaster if Windows is used for 24/7 security purposes. One recent such roll-up on Windows Home totally stuffed a week’s cctv recordings. If you have the same problem in letting Windows update run rampant you can simply zap the Windows Update Service afaik this is an all or nothing nuclear option so do NOT use it unless you are willing to take full responsibility in turning updates on or off. (there is no fine-grained control). This does NOT turn off security updates so unfortunately my security system can still be zapped by ‘security’ updates.

I think if I still can an unacceptable number of problems I am going to have to somehow install Windows 7 or move to a Linux setup (not a trivial move unfortunately as I would have to re-roll my security system).

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    • Total Posts 565
    • @jayceedee
      Forumite Coins: 109

Just been told to “restart to update for new options” by a blue W10 style dialogue box, hit the restart now and it got stuck on the spinning dots for an hour and a half. I had to do a hard reset.

That’s either one hell of an update, or – as I suspect – it’s having problems updating because the Fall Creators Update failed through various files being missing. I’ve not bothered to deal with that yet, and I’ve managed so far as all the earlier security updates have gone through fine.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    • Total Posts 565
    • @jayceedee
      Forumite Coins: 109

Apparently it’s ” Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709.”

EDIT – found the reason – 1709 is the Fall Creators Update – I’ll set that to run overnight – I’ve already had a nag screen!!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by JayCeeDee.

Alan Wood
    Participant
    • Total Posts 81
    • @alanrwood
      Forumite Coins: 74

Might be quicker to use the Media Creation Tool.

Richard
    Participant
    • Total Posts 684
    • @sawboman
      Forumite Coins: 277

Alan, I agree, I have done four machines that way a while back. Most of the family devices were stuck back on older Windows 10 versions then one, a 2008 Dell portable, made the leap straight to Fall. With another, software issues interrupted the game so I replaced the spinning rust with an SSD and doubled the memory before a re-install using the media creation route. The machine went from 32bit to 64bit at that time. The other three machines were done during daylight hours via the forced route with everything under control so no unexpected results. They took various amounts of time, two had SSDs and one, the slowest portable a spinner. The process took a noticeable amount of time, but when planned it was no great challenge and I knew all was well by the end.

I have one machine left to update and for the moment, that’s as in ‘left well alone (on 1603?)’ . The user is a ‘challenging person’ with a number of ‘issues’ both physical and ‘other’ – the effects of any disturbance to their bubble are rapidly very apparent!

It is interesting that John’s machine waited so long before stepping into the water, perhaps our remaining machine will take the automatic plunge. However, I was also told that a glitch with some earlier parts of the update 1609 process might require the forced route via media creation to be used.

Viewing 9 posts - 28 through 36 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members Currently Active: 1
PlaneMan
Keymaster | Moderator | Participant | Spectator | Blocked
Additional Forum Statistics
Threads: 985, Posts: 12,361, Members: 135
Welcome to our newest member, LostSoul
Most users ever online was 11 on June 5, 2017 1:36 pm