Windows 10 Cumulative Updates

HOME Forums Tech Windows Talk Windows 10 Cumulative Updates

This topic contains 99 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by JayCeeDee 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Author

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Coins: 1,054

Mine, that couldn’t get past Anniversary Edition, has now just updated the last 3 or 4 updates without any drama – searching for a tree to cuddle!! – but they have all been relatively minor ones.

That is a strange thing, I had a similar pattern, my wife’s PC did one of the big ones three big ones back, but nothing else did and they were getting left behind. Someone I know suggested down loading the update to a USB key so I did that and all of the machines bar one went straight through the remaining machine then woke up, (did not disturb the rival to the bear with a sore head) and completed its updating in one giant leap to be ready for said user to go ahead with their day. Since then all, have for the most part been happy machines. I still avoiding prodding the bear’s rival.

Alan Wood
    Participant
    @alanrwood
    Forumite Coins: 231

I have just completed 9 machines without any major problems. The only small problem with one machine was an error on the cumulative update but clicking on the “Retry” link sorted it. Maybe it was caused by the fact I was updating 6 machines at the same time on the same connection.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Coins: 501

Just to clarify, it wouldn’t get past AnnEd, but I did get it up to Fall Creators ( see below ) and it has been updating nicely since.

Part details of the journey HERE and HERE . There’s a similarity to your situation, but I couldn’t tell you how it happened, just that it did. Which particular aspect of my efforts persuaded it to update is still a mystery.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Coins: 1,315

I thought I had ‘fixed’ the Windows Photo hog in an earlier post but I found to my horror it was still sneaking in and stealing 50% of my cpu and file i/o capacity. Maybe it behaves nicely with average systems but it certainly does not with a vm.

In order to emasculate this rogue app, I have found that you need to disable background processing. You may also like to do the same for any other potential hogs.

1.Go to Privacy Settings

2. Go to the Background apps sidebar item.

3.Look for Photos in the list.

4.Flip the switch to Off (for ever!)

5. Restart your computer.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Ed P.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

A good spot Ed, I went there and found that I had already stopped that one and most others, only the new ‘specials’ had anything allowed – I stopped them, but could not be bothered to restart just yet. I allow almost nothing to run as a background item, warning others may not find this suitable for their usage patterns. (Yesterday, I had to loosen the strangle hold I put on my phone to allow something to work.)

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Coins: 354

April 23, 2018—KB4093105 (OS Build 16299.402)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4093105 – improvements and fixes.

Location - Twixt Severn and Wye
    Status - "Retired" - but not as far as my wife is concerned !!

Boris
    @boris

They’re off again – more quality updates.

May 8, 2018—KB4103721 (OS Build 17134.48)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4103721

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Coins: 449

Blimey – no problems as such but this endless update cycle is a real chore.

Jukebox
    Participant
    @jukebox
    Forumite Coins: 189

Now updated both PCs to 1803. Update went smoothly on both desktop & laptop except that the brightness now can’t be adjusted on the laptop and runs at full wack. Seems like a common problem when Google consulted. None of the suggestions there have worked so I guess I’ll just have to wear my sunglasses when using the laptop 😎. No point uninstalling the update I think as it will only reinstall sometime in the future. And Intel no longer support the relevant chipset.

Just wondered if anyone had had the same problem and solved it!

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Coins: 827

I think that sort of problem is going to start happening with updates just as it is with Windows 7 but in reverse.

Buy a new CPU and put 7 on it and you’ll just get generic drivers. It’ll still work but all the bells and whistles won’t as Intel won’t be doing drivers for them either.

With 10 once the OEM stops supporting their hardware the same happens. I has fun with my T420 and the very first big update (Fall was it ?). Upgraded just fine but a later reset took out all the Lenovo stuff (to be expected) and they wouldn’t reinstall. Lenovo wouldn’t do any Fall updates, now out of support. Not a huge problem as Intel were still supporting the chipset and Windows Hello took over the fingerprint reading duties – not as polished but perfectly functional.

They all want us to keep upgrading even though for most uses even cheaper hardware has been more than adequate for 5 years+. I recently put an SSD into a 7 year old Phenom X4 840 and performance wise I can see it being fine for another 7. What will kill it is if MS decide to stop doing security updates or the motherboard dies.

Boris
    @boris

Lets see what havoc this one causes ?

May 23, 2018—KB4100403 (OS Build 17134.81)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4100403/windows-10-update-kb4100403

Alan Wood
    Participant
    @alanrwood

Hi Boris

Just updated 6 machines in about 30 mins without any problem whatsoever. I believe this update is issued to correct the problems experienced by a small number of people with the previous feature update.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Coins: 847

I started watching Midnight Express on Netflix, via my little Dell 3050, it was stuttering, glitching and so on. Paused it, went and did some boring stuff like washing all the kit I’d used to treat my car, came back and all was well with a little box saying update finished.

Maybe an hour and 20, it’s a low spec rig.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Alan Wood
    Participant
    @alanrwood

Done the final 3 machines also without any problems so 9 in all.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Coins: 1,315

April 10 KB4093112 failed on a ‘simple’ Windows 10 VM.

M$ quality control of updates is starting to get laughable. A bug-fix is buggy!

Boris
    @boris

More “quality” updates ?

June 12, 2018—KB4284835 (OS Build 17134.112)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4284835

Boris
    @boris

This one has just this minute started installing – June 26, 2018—KB4284848 (OS Build 17134.137)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4284848

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

That came in to me a day or so ago, you will only get the remaining parts if you did a recent download.

Boris
    @boris

July 10, 2018—KB4338819 (OS Build 17134.165)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4338819

How on earth would we have coped if they hadn’t been able to improve on dial-up ?

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Coins: 501

Just tried this on my recently SSD’d version of 1803 and it flew through!!😀😀

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.