Tech Windows Talk Windows 10 Cumulative Updates

This topic contains 65 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by JayCeeDee 4 days, 18 hours ago. This post has been viewed 1847 times

Viewing 9 posts - 37 through 45 (of 66 total)
  • Author

blacklion1725
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385
    • @blacklion1725
      Forumite Coins: 88

The MCT has got me out of jail on (a) a Windows tablet with only 32GB storage and (b) another PC that just didn’t like the Fall update and kept failing.

Took me a while to find out that you create the MCT USB, but don’t boot from it – instead plug it in and just run “setup.exe” – this seems to be the only way to use temporary external storage if you are low on space. Why the “normal” update won’t let you use an external HDD/Flash Drive/SD who knows?

Have a feeling that Windows 10 is starting to get messy. Everything update-wise used to just happen – still does on some machines, but getting to be a chore on others.

PlaneMan
    • Total Posts 694
    • @planeman
      Forumite Coins: 212

Another one for the MCT, I  update my little Dell  using that whenever there’s a big update. Nothing critical on it (tv box essentially) so it just has a wipe and reinstall of the latest Windows version.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385
    • @blacklion1725

PM from memory you have the same mini dell as me (3050)…if you want to wipe and reinstall fine, but you can use MCT to update without reinstalling… just done the fall update on mine …plug the MCT usb in and launch setup.exe (while windows is live)…. you’ll probably need another blank temporary usb drive plugged in for temporary storage but it will tell you if you do…it then updates, keeps your apps and all relatively painless.

PlaneMan
    • Total Posts 694
    • @planeman
      Forumite Coins: 212

Yep, that’s the one.

The way you describe is how I keep my mum’s ‘disposable’ Win 10 laptop updated, one of the super cheap low spec jobs that she takes on holiday.

She can’t remember half her passwords so it’s easier that way, for me I just have to log in to Netflix and Amazon and it’s good to clear the crud out.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385
    • @blacklion1725

Fair play – makes sense

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 215
    • @grahamdearsley
      Forumite Coins: 72

If you updated your Windows 7 PC to Windows 10 during the free update period just to get it registered on the Microsoft hardware database then I find it is usually best to do at least one clean install using the MCT later.

I updated my hobby PC from W7 and the next few updates worked fine but then ALL updates started failing. A clean install fixed that and it has not failed an update since.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 215
    • @grahamdearsley
      Forumite Coins: 72

Ed

I have just read your post about Windows update causing problems with your CCTV recordings. Have you tried disabling the update service wuauserv ? I have heard that this will stop all updates even on W10 home. I have not tried it myself though so if it works let me know 😆

Ed P
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1363
    • @edps
      Forumite Coins: 270

Ed I have just read your post about Windows update causing problems with your CCTV recordings. Have you tried disabling the update service wuauserv ? I have heard that this will stop all updates even on W10 home. I have not tried it myself though so if it works let me know 😆

Disabling the service stops MOST updates but M$ ‘security’ updates do their own not so sweet thing as they do not use the update service.

I understand WHY M$ want to force better practices on everyone, but their one size fits all policy is a major PITA. A warning and two weeks notice of an enforced update would have been ok and given time to get organised. (that delay would cover most vacations)

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Ed P.

Dave Rice
    • Total Posts 844
    • @ricedg
      Forumite Coins: 137

Windows 10 Pro is a tenner on E-Bay.

Viewing 9 posts - 37 through 45 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members Currently Active: 3
Sawboman, JayCeeDee, tina10
Keymaster | Moderator | Participant | Spectator | Blocked
Additional Forum Statistics
Threads: 983, Posts: 12,319, Members: 136
Welcome to our newest member, neucarepamphgesp
Most users ever online was 11 on June 5, 2017 1:36 pm