Windows 10 Cumulative Updates

HOME Forums Tech Windows Talk Windows 10 Cumulative Updates

This topic contains 126 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Wheels-Of-Fire 2 hours, 30 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Boris
    @boris

KB4022725 – Version 1703 (15063.413) has just installed – no problems.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/4022725

Location - Twixt Severn and Wye
    Status - "Retired" - but not as far as my wife is concerned !!

Spread the love
Viewing 20 replies - 101 through 120 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 534

August 14, 2018—KB4343909 (OS Build 17134.228)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ae/help/4343909/windows-10-update-kb4343909

Quality improvements.

No known issues.

Boris
    @boris

August 30, 2018—KB4346783 (OS Build 17134.254)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4346783

Known issues in this update

– Launching Microsoft Edge using the New Application Guard Window may fail; normal Microsoft Edge instances aren’t affected.

Workaround

• If you’ve experienced the issue and already installed KB4343909, uninstall it.

Install KB4340917.
    Install KB4343909.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 793

I notice that inspector by Gibson Research says there is a microcode patch for my i7 930  CPU that mitigates  slowdowns the Windows specter defence causes. Not out yet though.

Boris
    @boris

September 11, 2018—KB4457128 (OS Build 17134.285)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4457128

Quality updates. No known issues.

Boris
    @boris

September 20, 2018—KB4458469 (OS Build 17134.319)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4458469

No known bugs – loads of small changes

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,121

There are reports that the update to release 1809 can in some cases cause all personal files to be purged. A full backup before doing this update may be wise.

That said I have updated a vm clone of my system to 180928 with no loss of data. A couple of caveats.

a) I always update from an Admin account that has NO data files, all such files are in the user account.

b) For ease, my vm does NOT completely replicate my physical system which has all data files on a data disk. So my test result may be due to the simpler disk config.

One other observation I’ll make. I found that I previously had to remove Java from my test and physical system as Java updates caused horrible clashes with windows Insider updates. For my purposes it was easier to zap java, which in any case has a less than stellar security reputation (Java is only run when required within vms..)

[edit] Following these reports M$ has suspended the release of the October update to 1809.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Ed P.

wasbit
    Participant
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 404

Windows 10 October Update

Microsoft has taken the unprecedented step of pulling a Windows 10 release a mere four days after its arrival amid a clamour of users complaining about files not being where they had left them.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/08/microsoft_windows_10_pulled/

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Zalman Media Centre Rebuild (i3-540)
    Rig 2: Hp Elitebook 8440P (The Dave Laptop Special)
    The Dave Special & The 43 Special are still giving sterling service with new owners

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 1,471

My two portables took 1809 without me finding any issues with either of them. One theory that was going the rounds was that the update did not like any sort of filing structure damage and was wiping out any such damaged folders.

I have got a 2018-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 update pending this morning, I wonder what that is about?

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

M$ has ‘fixed’ the file deletion bug and re-released 1809. I think I’ll wait!

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

This is a link to the understanding of what caused issues so far as the problem is understood, /https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/10/09/updated-version-of-windows-10-october-2018-update-released-to-windows-insiders/

It appears that as of this morning it has been re-released to insiders but may not yet be available more widely.

Richard

Boris
    @boris

I have got a 2018-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 update pending this morning, I wonder what that is about?

October 9, 2018—KB4462919 (OS Build 17134.345) https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4462919

Security updates to Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Peripherals, Windows Shell, Windows Kernel, Windows Datacenter Networking, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows Linux, and the Microsoft JET Database Engine.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Thanks for the link. I actually had that file arrangement in my main system, but I had not replicated it in the VM clone! Probably why the clone showed no issues with the update.

Alan Wood
    Participant
    @alanrwood
    Forumite Points: 384

Thanks for that Richard. The explanation seems valid. I always use KFR to create new Docs, Pics etc folders on a different drive partition so I can reinstall Windows etc without risking data loss. Luckily for me I do always move any existing files in the default folders to the new locations and then delete the default ones anyway.

I guess I will also wait a couple of weeks before doing the update.

Boris
    @boris

I always use KFR to create new Docs, Pics etc folders on a different drive partition so I can reinstall Windows etc 

What is KFR ?

EDIT – so it is Known Folder Redirection – never heard it called that before !

Further info – Details

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Boris.

Alan Wood
    Participant
    @alanrwood
    Forumite Points: 384

Sorry Boris

I assumed that people had read the blog link in Richards post above

Boris
    @boris

Sorry Boris I assumed that people had read the blog link in Richards post above

D’oh ! ……….. I don’t always do the blindingly obvious ! 😀

Boris
    @boris

Another one – with known issues

November 13, 2018—KB4467702 (OS Build 17134.407)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4467702

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

The file-deleting Build 1809 is now being re-released after hopefully fixing all its many bugs. I think I’ll wait for Boris!

• This reply was modified 2 days, 3 hours ago by Ed P.

Boris
    @boris

The file-deleting Build 1809 is now being re-released after hopefully fixing all its many bugs. I think I’ll wait for Boris!

You may have a long wait ! 😀

We are taking a more measured approach with the October Update, slowing our rollout to more carefully study device health data. We will offer the October Update to users via Windows Update when data shows your device is ready and you will have a great experience. If we detect that your device may have an issue, such as an application incompatibility, we will not install the update until that issue is resolved, even if you “Check for updates,” so you avoid encountering any known problems. For those advanced users seeking to install the update early by manually using “Check for updates” in settings, know that we are slowly throttling up this availability, while we carefully monitor data and feedback.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/11/13/resuming-the-rollout-of-the-windows-10-october-2018-update/

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

My laptop that had troubles is once more about to stick a toe into the 1809 troubled waters. None of its troubles were of the type noted in the recent reports so I wonder how well it will go this time. The previous issue was stated to be due to driver errors affecting the USB server function, but the reports looked hard to stand up.

Now it will be watch this space!

Viewing 20 replies - 101 through 120 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love