Forumite

Windows 10 Cumulative Updates

HOME Forums Tech Windows Talk Windows 10 Cumulative Updates

This topic contains 151 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Ed P 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 20 replies - 121 through 140 (of 151 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,303

Oh well, perhaps I did something I should not have done as the machine ran into a problem and has restarted after a stack overflow issue  while running the Dell device checking program. Perhaps I should leave that out for the future, at least the error message was different. The PC came with Vista and is not really supported for running Windows 10.

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 1,047

Another one – with known issues November 13, 2018—KB4467702 (OS Build 17134.407) https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4467702

This just installed OK for me – I now await the re-released 1809

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Boris
    @boris

Well, my venerable Athlon X4 645 rig is now running the latest Win 10 Home 64bit 1809.17763.134 build with no significant problems ?.

Nothing lost as far as I can ascertain, and everything I’ve tried on it seems to work.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 1,952

With the latest update I noticed the the message “Windows is a service and will receive regular updates”. How long has it been doing that ?

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,686

Since Windows 10 was released.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Dont remember seeing the “Windows is a service” bit before.

Boris
    @boris

Just seen this :-

Note on upgrade blocks: Blocking the availability of a Windows 10 feature update to devices we know will experience issues is a key aspect of our controlled rollout approach to provide users with a great update experience. We decide what to block based on user impact from closely monitoring feedback and device diagnostics. Blocking issues are a high priority for us to address as quickly as possible. If we detect that your device may have an issue, such as an application incompatibility, we will not install the update until that issue is resolved, even if you “Check for updates”. We do this so that you avoid encountering any known problems.

on https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4464619

I see that M$ says “To ensure a seamless update experience, we are blocking devices with AMD Radeon HD2000 and HD4000 series graphics processors from being offered Window 10, version 1809.”

In spite of this I managed to install it manually (by ISO) on a rig using Dave’s ancient Asus P5B mobo with a Q6600 and 4Gb Reaper Pc8500 with an ASUS HD 4670 512MB card – no problem whatever.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,686

Blimey, I remember that mobo, it was the first “serious” mobo I bought. Probably because it was quad core ready and had a pci-e  x 16. Stick rigidly to the Asus approved ram and God help you if you used all 4 slots.

This upgrade blocking is going happen more and more now, at some stage older hardware has to be abandoned by any o/s. C2D is 12 years old now and the HD 4670 is ten.

Boris, you don’t need to install solar panels to save money, just buy a mobo with a recent Intel Pentium SOC. The Pentium Silver J5005 does the same as the Q6600 at 10 watts vs 105 watts plus it has graphics onboard.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 4,636

Boris, you don’t need to install solar panels to save money, just buy a mobo with a recent Intel Pentium SOC.

I struck out the Intel bit as when compared with the older chips any modern SOC saves money. When I did an audit of my PCs I found that by upgrading BOTH the GPU and CPU I could get a 5 year pay-out in just Leccy savings (I only took a 7 month saving as the old PC tower used to keep my toes warm!). In fact due to the way the Windmill levy goes up every year, savings are a no-brainer! I emphasised the GPU as these can be real burners of electricity.

Boris
    @boris

Blimey, I remember that mobo, it was the first “serious” mobo I bought. Probably because it was quad core ready and had a pci-e x 16. Stick rigidly to the Asus approved ram and God help you if you used all 4 slots. This upgrade blocking is going happen more and more now, at some stage older hardware has to be abandoned by any o/s. C2D is 12 years old now and the HD 4670 is ten. Boris, you don’t need to install solar panels to save money, just buy a mobo with a recent Intel Pentium SOC. The Pentium Silver J5005 does the same as the Q6600 at 10 watts vs 105 watts plus it has graphics onboard.

LOL – I keep it as a backup – it is only turned on once a month for an hour or so to update it.

I have a few old machines of the same vintage that I have built up FOC from bits and keep updated, so I can test stuff out on them/lend them out to anyone else while I fix their own kit.  They all run Win 10.

My “modern” desktops for “proper” use have 1150 or 1155 mobos with Ivy Bridge/Haswell cpus.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-overview

The above link shows how Microsoft intends to go about delivering Windows as a service.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

I see the compatability problem with the HD 2000/4000 cards is caused by their drivers and that Microsoft is looking into it even though AMD doesnt support them any more.

Most Windows compatability issues in the future are going to be caused by drivers because they are what the OS interacts with at the end of the day.

Application issues are mostly caused by drivers too because the only way that a user mode app can run kernel mode code is to install a driver. These are not device drivers but things like file system filter drivers that need to run in kernel mode. Once in kernel mode then driver code can do much as it likes and if it doesnt follow the rules then the next version of Windows may well break it.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

The first two machines to get 1809 were the oldest and the slowest, both are portables. The three desk tops are still awaiting their call to arms on 1809 – and one has had the graphics updated by a recent replacement. I guess there is a method, but it is not always easy to work outwhat it could be.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 2,018

When I did an audit of my PCs I found that by upgrading BOTH the GPU and CPU I could get a 5 year pay-out in just Leccy savings

What did you use to get the power figures Ed? I could do with checking mine and possibly changing to more power efficient parts.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

I have an APC UPS (more than one!) and the Powerchute software provided gave me the power consumption. ([edit] I had really toastie hardware that used to keep me warm in the winter!)

From memory I saved about 0.20 kilowatts/hour which translated to about 35 pence/day i.e. about £70/year. My cost of money is about 5% so I figured I could get a £500 payout even without adding annual inflation. Add Leccy inflation and I think that climbs to about £750. If you need one to play with numbers a rate of return calculator is here.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Looks like we will be getting a fairly major feature update with build 18329 (19H1)

Below is a link to the Windows insider details.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-insider/at-home/whats-new-wip-at-home

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 1,135

Been involved with w10 alot since xmas and I can now say I get it.

Its actually brill and about 50% better than W7.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

Looks like we will be getting a fairly major feature update with build 18329 (19H1) Below is a link to the Windows insider details. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-insider/at-home/whats-new-wip-at-home

I have used Win 10 for a long time and found it very stable with no desires to fall over, though to be honest, most of my previous versions were like that. I have managed to overcome most of the issues of external devices becoming lost or discarded by replacing programs or bypassing any pointless road blocks.

You are right that is quite a list, but having read through it several times I did not find much of use, value or interest to me. Rather I felt that given a large group of users there would be one or two items that might attract a few of them, or have I missed something really exciting? Certainly, any improvement to the search function is to be welcomed as it almost never finds anything of value at the moment – except for the very unloved edge. My concern is that by understanding such items as RAW images the OS may try to take over their management rather than allowing the user’s normal program to take precedence as I would desire.

The integration of the NHS chose and book with my diary of choice application was a recent benefit, I would hate for that to be upset by any new application.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

I found the RAW image thumbnail useful, the use of other programs to process RAW is a Preferences choice but I guess some may find that difficult.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

I was most interested to see that they are decoupling local search from Cortana. Maybe search will go back to finding local programs before you type the last “e” of .exe ?

Giving Sart its own host process is probably a good idea too.

Viewing 20 replies - 121 through 140 (of 151 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.