Currys / PC World have been hacked

HOME Forums Tech Security Talk Currys / PC World have been hacked

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by wasbit 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon

I got this email earlier today:

Dear Customer

On June 13, we began to contact a number of our customers as a precaution after we found that some of our security systems had been accessed in the past using sophisticated malware.

We promptly launched an investigation. Since then we have been putting further security measures in place to safeguard customer information, increased our investment in cyber security and added additional controls. In all of this we have been working intensively with leading cyber security experts.

Our investigation, which is now nearing completion, has identified that approximately 10 million records containing personal data may have been accessed in 2017. This unauthorised access to data may include personal information such as name, address, phone number, date of birth and email address.

While there is now evidence that some of this data may have left our systems, these records do not contain payment card or bank account details and we have no confirmed instances of customers falling victim to fraud as a result. We are continuing to keep the relevant authorities updated.

As a precaution, we are letting our customers know to apologise and advise them of protective steps to take to minimise the risk of fraud. These include:
    If you receive an unsolicited email, letter, text or phone call asking for personal information, never reveal any full passwords, login details or account numbers until you are certain of the identity of the person making the request. Please do not click on any links you do not recognise.
    If you think you have been a victim of fraud you should report it to Action Fraud, the UK’s national fraud and internet crime reporting centre, on 0300 123 2040*.
    We also recommend that people are vigilant against any suspicious activity on their bank accounts and contact their financial provider if they have concerns.
    You can find more information here

We take the security of your data extremely seriously and have previously announced that we have taken action to close off this access and have no evidence it is continuing. Nevertheless, we felt it was important to let customers know as soon as possible.

We continue to make improvements and investments to our security systems and we’ve been working round the clock to put this right. We’re extremely sorry about what has happened – we’ve fallen short here. We want to reassure you that we are fully committed to protecting your data so that you can be confident that it is safe with us.

Yours sincerely,

Antreas Athanassopoulos
    Dixons Carphone Chief Customer Officer’

Spread the love
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 2,043

Had the same email Ryan, immediately changed my password, etc. I rarely visit Currys now, last time was to buy my Humax Freesat box, because I had a £50 voucher from a previous Currys purchase, a substantial reduction over every other outlet. My rare visits are usually to the store and check out a bit of ‘on show’ kit, usually for a mate or family, then recommend an item online for best price/deal.

Never used Carphone Warehouse and cannot remember when I last used Dixons, it was a separate organisation at that time, which is years ago.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 1,378

Going back in time, Dixons, I had my first Amiga 600 – Tandy I had my first ZX Spectrum

Cheers
    John

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 2,043

I remembered what I bought from Dixons. Must have between 1976: I had left the Army and moved in with parents, until 1982, when they moved into  a Sheltered Housing flat. Mam wanted a new larger TV (got it) and dad wanted a radio, for footy and other stuff live from Radio Nottingham. He only watched TV for sport or wildlife, documentaries and such. Mam watched literally anything and fell asleep watching most of it. Funnily enough, my SWMBO does that now, although she does not watch daytime TV, so does have some good taste! 😘😊

Rambling and digressing again: It was a Philips mains FM/AM wooden cabinet radio, replaced the old Bush 9v battery/mains tranny I bought in 1964 and have photos of with my mates on Blackpool beach in that year. It was, for the time, almost state of the art: I could actually get Police Band on it after some antenna and internal tinkering. Spent a few interesting evenings with dad, listening to various Police activities, chasing and catching Baddies*. A very attractive set, long, low and clean lines, a good deep speaker at each end, with 2 more speakers end-facing. Great sound, never had better sound without much more expensive audio. Wish I still had it! Dixons sold some good stuff then, attuned to the market, so to speak. Is DSG losing that ability now, I wonder?

*Yes I know: illegal, but great fun! Statute of Limitations applies I believe…😋😎

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 543

Interesting – I’ve not had an email from them.

Mind, the last time I used Carphone Warehouse (about a month ago when I bought my Moto G6), they wanted my email and address etc when I was purchasing a SIM free phone. I couldn’t be bothered to much at the time, but I mean why do they need that information for a purchase in a shop?

wasbit
    Participant
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 404

So have Bulitz  Butlins

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2018/08/34000-butlins-guest-records-may-have-been-hacked

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Zalman Media Centre Rebuild (i3-540)
    Rig 2: Hp Elitebook 8440P (The Dave Laptop Special)
    The Dave Special & The 43 Special are still giving sterling service with new owners

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love