Forumite

Delivered item damage

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Delivered item damage 2Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Not quite a Rant – I used this company to buy the table described in the link, purchase made online almost a month ago.

https://tinyurl.com/yb932nzu

As we live in a gated enclosure, I ask that all deliveries call either my mobile, or ring our apartment number on the gate telephone. It took 2 weeks to arrive, the driver in a plain white van, simply dropped off the package and left before I could open the gate and check it.As you might guess, it was damaged. Parts could be heard sliding about inside. I sent the first of SIX emails, with photos, concerning this, asking for acknowledgement that I had a damaged delivery, before I would open the package. Yesterday I received that acknowledgement, with a commitment to send a replacement if I opened the package and the table was damaged. It was, in several ways. IMO it had obviously been damaged in transit and very poorly resealed. Today I replied, stating that I request either a refund or replacement.

Now, I know that the Covid situation has delayed some deliveries and the company I ordered from is in Dumfries, Scotland. But not receiving an acknowledgement to the first 4 emails, is what really annoyed me. Then the 5th email was acknowledged, but the sender had obviously not read the complaint through. I sent another, threatening Trading Standards, and that produced the commitment above.

As I was resealing the package for return (much more securely than as I had received it!) I noticed a sticker inside. It was the website of the company which manufactured the table:

https://tinyurl.com/yb6vvh5r

It was about £3 more expensive, but if I receive an actual refund, I will use it to order from the manufacturer. I took a good look at the table parts in the package and, apart from the damage, it appears to be very well made. From that, and the dimensions, it is exactly what I need and it matches my computer desk. But why do companies not acknowledge our emails? Do they not understand how that makes us less keen on making another purchase? :negative: :unsure:

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Delivered item damage 3The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,396

This is why I happily pay for Amazon Prime. You only every see the true side of a business once you have an issue.

Don’t they realise the true cost of bad customer service. Now if they got back you you day one, and had it sorted that day, I’d imagine you’d happily take the replacement item, use them again  (or at least have them on your list), and recomend them to others.

Now they have zero chance of a resale or a recondition.

People like to turn their nose up to Amazon, but from a customer stand point, they are one of the best out there.

Participant
    Delivered item damage 4PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,829

Amazon Prime is great if you get the value out of the service. Refunds are usually issued as soon as the item shows up on their system as ‘return underway’.

Locally Argos is also brilliant at returns and refunds. If I need something urgently or it’s the same price as elsewhere I use Argos. Pre-Coronavirus the staff were also epic. If I ordered something for click and collect which I can’t carry on my crutches they ALWAYS offer to take it to the car for me. I use 2 different Argos branches, about 5 miles apart depending on which has stock and it’s the same in both shops.

Participant
    Delivered item damage 5Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,677

That IS a rant Bob but I don’t blame you 😁

Argos are OK for non technical stuff but they are a nightmare for anything electronic.

Participant
    Delivered item damage 3The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,396

I’ve not had issue, as far as I can recall, with Argos. But with Amazon, all I need to do is print off a label and it’s collected.

I get my money’s worth, I use it almost daily. I’m probably classed problem customer as I abuse Thier system.

Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,353

I have Amazon Prime and I use my Fire TV, quite pleased with that. I also appreciate Amazon Prime deliveries, but I did not buy this from Amazon or an Amazon seller, it was simply not available from there at all. I searched Amazon and Fleabay, also many other online companies, with a specific table in mind, a set of dimensions to fit one spot. The company I chose had the only one that matched those spec’s and it looked good. When I eventually unpacked it, apart from the damage it looked to have been well made and would have been perfect for my needs, which was a table to work on next to the computer table, with a shelf below of the right size to take my printer.

Yesterday I received an email stating that the manufacturer required photos from me of the damaged parts. I replied that (a) the parcel had been sealed by me, and was more capable of being handled as a result (b) unsealing it to photograph it would render the already weak structure of the package, impossible to reseal (c) I had already given the selling company photos (d) I repeated that, under the Sale of Goods Act, the Selling company was responsible for goods unfit for purpose, not the manufacturer.

This morning they caved in. A replacement has been organised. I will not accept it until I have checked it minutely and listened for any loose parts. I will also ask the delivery driver to drive around to the main gates, let the driver in and take away the old package before he/she leaves. (we have several female delivery drivers here) This does not feel like a win. No customer should have to jump through hoops until they receive the correct, undamaged product that is fit for purpose. NINE emails, each way! I would never have received this kind of crap service from Amazon, and probably not Fleabay.

Yes Graham, it was a Rant, I admit it. :yes: But I am not the type to give in when I am convinced I am in the right. :good:

I'm out.

Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,353

Reviving this because they actually delivered a replacement this am, just 5+ weeks after the original order was made: this package is also damaged. TNT Driver refused to take it back and refused to take first one back

I emailed them yet another complaint, with photos of package damage. Since they already have my solicitor’s letter (from a free consultation, done business with them for years) they came back with choices:

*Take another replacement

Accept a discount to –

*Open second package, check damage, if contents damaged, use both package contents to make a table that is fit for purpose.

Opted for the second choice, IF a significant discount is offered and IF a table fit for purpose, can be built, after examining both package contents. If not, I will have my pet shyster send them another letter, with a demand for a full refund and his fee. I await their reaction, firmly gripping their Corporate Scrotum. I could even use the first table contents, to add another shelf, they don’t want to collect it.

But I am still bloody angry about the worst customer service I have ever encountered. Being ill does not help.

I'm out.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.