Forumite

Dell inspiron 1720 Windows 10

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Dell inspiron 1720 Windows 10

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Dell inspiron 1720 Windows 10 2Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

I have been trying to update my neighbours old Dell inspiron 1720 with an SSD and a copy of Windows 10 but so far it is a no go.

I removed the old HDD with Vista 32 bit on it and put it aside. Next I installed the SSD and booted the system from a W10 64 bit installation USB stick. The installation only runs for about a minute and then it pops up a box that say ” Missing storage driver, could be USB, SATA or system. Please insert disk”

I have tried all the 64 bit drivers on the Dell web site and although Windows seems to like them it just says “No new device was detected for this driver” and goes back to asking for a driver disk.

Any ideas ?

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Dell inspiron 1720 Windows 10 3johnbarry
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 4,402

Maybe the copy of 10 on USB is corrupt, have you or can you not try a DVD Win 10 installation

Cheers
    John

Participant
    Dell inspiron 1720 Windows 10 4Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 3,771

Double check the hard drive settings and storage settings in the bios in case there’s some weird Dell setting that’s messing things up.

Participant
    Dell inspiron 1720 Windows 10 5Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,334

I see a few posts about of problems with older chipsets and newer Windows 10 versions.

Have you got a pre 1709 image?

Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,584

The image on the USB stick is fine John, I let it get part way through an insallation on a newer machine before I cancelled it and it showed no sign of having missing drivers. I am going to try installing from a DVD though in case it is the USB storage driver thats missing. As soon as I buy a blank DVD.

The Dell BIOS has got one odd BIOS setting Tippton. There is a flash precache to speed up disk access but disabling that or setting the controller to IDE made no difference.

I have the newest 64 bit image Dave but I am going to try a 32 bit image tomorrow  just in case.

My fall back plan is going to be to clone the HDD to the SSD and then try an upgrade to W7 32 bit from there. If that works I will try an upgrade to W10 32 bit. It is a last resort because I will end up with 32 bit Windows on a 64 bit machine but some of the 32 bit Vista drivers for other built in devices may work with it.

Participant
    Dell inspiron 1720 Windows 10 7Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,276

Does this ancient laptop even meet the minimum hardware standards that M$ imposed post Vista?

link

Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Well it looks like it should, it has a Pentium Duel Core T2370, 3GB RAM and an NVIDIA 8400M GS.

I tried to run the W7 update advisor before I started but it looks like MS has retired its supporting server and the W8/10 update assistant needs at least W7 to run.

Participant
    Dell inspiron 1720 Windows 10 7Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,276

It looks like nVidia threw all the support for this to the laptop maker (Dell) and Dell does not support it even being upgraded to XP!  You could try the nVidia site for obsolete equipment – link

However my hopes would not be great as apparently Dell made it difficult to install anything but their drivers.

If you want to make the machine capable of secure web connection, my advice would be to try Zorin OS 12.4 Lite

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by Dell inspiron 1720 Windows 10 10Ed P.
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Dell always makes it difficult to install anything other than the OS and drivers that their laptops come with but I have never had an outright refusal before. NVIDIA has 32 and 64 bit W10 drivers on its web site and I have at least Vista drivers for everything else but I can’t get that far.

There are YouTube videos showing the 1720 running W10 but none of them show how they did it 🙄

Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Well we are out of the stone age and into the bronze age now 😀

W7 64 bit got much further on from DVD but then failed with a hardware incompatibility at the last minute.

W7 32 bit is now installed and updating. The NVIDIA WDDM driver is part of Windows update and seems to be working well 😁

Participant
    @grahamdearsley

And still updating. 238 updates so far including SP1 and internet explorer 11. My W7 retail disk was from 2010 🤨

Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Even get the NVIDIA control panel app. Seems that all DX10 functions are enabled.

Participant
    @grahamdearsley

And another 173 updates just arrived. I could be here till Donald trump keeps his gob shut or we finally get Brexit sorted.

It had better be quicker. Not sure I will live that long 😂🤣😂

Participant
    Dell inspiron 1720 Windows 10 5Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,334
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Thnks Dave,I will have a look.

Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Is a pitty they have not updated it since 2016 and a pitty i did not start with it first 🙄

Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Finally finished updating W7 and everything is working, no exclamation marks or unknown devices showing in Device manager. The final unknown device was UMBus (Whatever that is) and I got the W7 32 bit driver from the HP website.

The original intention was to do an upgrade install to W10 from W7 (can’t be done from Vista) but as the reason for the Windows upgrade was to get a more modern browser installed for secure sites, and W7 let me do that, I am just going to leave things as they are for now.

Participant
    @grahamdearsley

For anyone who may like to know, I found out what the UMBus driver is, it is the User mode Bus enumerator. Kernel mode drivers and user mode framework drivers have access to the kernel bus enumerators but pure user mode drivers do not so the UMB kernel driver provides a service that user mode drivers can use to discover devices that are connected to the system.

The only pure user mode drivers that I know of are printer drivers and that seems to be where people have problems. I didn’t have a problem but I had fixed the unknown UMBus device before I installed the printer.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.