Forumite

Discovery

• Creator
    Topic
    Keymaster
    RSB
    @bdthree

I keep meaning to ask. As anyone actualy got into watching Star trek Discovery? I just can not get into. It’s a little to PC for me and her talking over the damn thing all the time get’s on my tits.

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Forumite Donations Paypal.me/forumite

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,285

Yes, watched the first two with my daughter, which I thought were OK, then promptly forgot to watch any more when she went back to Uni. I did quite like the Klingon reboot.

Star Trek has always been very PC and why do they think light jazz will be the music that survives and dominates all other forms? Why do they inevitably bring the Nazis in at some stage, either as the values of a hostile alien nation or the (again) inevitable time travelling back to earth episode?

I caught one of the original series episodes yesterday, the one with Joan Collins, and it was all there.

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,615

I quite liked it.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,463

Haven’t seen it but will get around to it. What is currently bugging me on TV is the dumb, excessively loud music that the BBC plays over dramas. It is ruining the credits and some passages in the otherwise excellent “Silent Witness”. I have used the BBC online complaints form to have a mild rant. I received a sniffy reply from some ass-polishing Suit, to the effect that it was the Producer’s choice and it ‘enhances the drama’. *No it doesn’t you muppet, SW is good enough dramatically anyway. If a story needs dumb, out of context squealing music to ‘enhance it’ then it is not good enough anyway.*

End of Rant.

**Those are the exact words I used in my reply. No response: have I upset them?

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    blacklion1725
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 3,338

Not a sci-fi fan, and not wanting to divert the thread, but for a bit of un-pretentious, simple chuckling “King Gary” on iPlayer is worth a look. It is a portrayal of where I live basically – so not sure if it translates across the country – but it is making most of us in these parts laugh at ourselves and those we know.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 6,149

There are just too many thoughts and “feelings” in modern adaptations of Star Trek, exactly the sort of thing that people who watch it are sick of. What I want to see is thoughts and “actions”, not half an hour of people agonising over what they should do.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 6,149

And another thing…

It has always been the case that Star Trek has taken and adapted screen plays that were clearly written for a different show altogether, usually a court room drama or a western, but since Voyager they have used the holodeck to just import the plots wholesale.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,285

Not excusing Star Trek, but just how many unique plot lines are there?

Back in the early 8 bit days I was talking to a computer shop owner I was friendly with about games design and may be starting something between us. Basically it was a combination of I chase you, I drop things on you or I throw things at you. Apart from simulations I don’t think much has changed, just more nuanced.

But yes, it’s true that the same tale can be told in better ways. Or in the case of Star Wars, worse.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,463

Fifties to Eighties westerns got like that, same plot, same desperate situations, same Happy Endings. (Cow) boy finds girl, loses girl to Bad Guy, some gunfights, regains girl. Chuck in a few Indians Native Americans for added danger.

Come to think of it, Tom Cruise’s “Missions” are a lot samey. Although casting him (5’7″) as Jack Reacher (6’5″, built like the proverbial outhouse) was ludicrous. That was when fiction became fantasy.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.