Tech Windows Talk Disk backup

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Boris 2 months, 3 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 189 times

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 246
    • @dwynnehugh
      Forumite Coins: 78

I have recently re-installed W7 onto a PC I have just upgraded – after installation I got a message basically suggesting that I should upgrade to W10 as the mobo and CPU (?) would provide better security under W10.  Downloaded the MC Tool and did the business – PC seems to be running just fine.

I remember the last time I did a backup copy of a W10 installation I screwed it up and was unable to restore it when required.

Can anyone suggest how I undertake this, this time – so that if anything goes wrong I can re-install from a disk copy / image??

Would a disk image do the trick?

To err is human, but forgiveness is not Tory policy!

Dave Rice
    • Total Posts 845
    • @ricedg
      Forumite Coins: 139

I’ve been using ToDO Backup (free)

You can create an emergency USB / CD / ISO based on WinPE or Linux to boot from.

johnbarry
    Participant
    • Total Posts 187
    • @johnbarry
      Forumite Coins: 150

I use WD True Image Free (if you have a WD HDD) or Paragon Backup & Recovery (free)

However, I backup to antoher partition discs aren’t big enough or life time gauranteed (after shrinking C:) I re create a backup after Windows has updated.

I also backup to USB drives if you don’t want to shrink. That is as long as your rig can see USBs on boot (dos) recovery mode.

Only last night I screwed up C: and booted from the true image (disc) and recovered C: from the backup, back to normal.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by johnbarry.

Cheers
    John

Alan Wood
    Participant
    • Total Posts 81
    • @alanrwood
      Forumite Coins: 74

I use Macrium Reflect Free version to produce a disk image of the drive on which Windows is installed together with any small system drive that is shown on the drive map.

Boris
    • Total Posts 128
    • @boris
      Forumite Coins: 71

I’ve been using ToDO Backup (free) You can create an emergency USB / CD / ISO based on WinPE or Linux to boot from.

+1 for TODO, used it successfully on about  a dozen machines so far where friends have screwed up their PCs – luckily I’d previously done them a TODO image after installation/upgrade.

Location - Twixt Severn and Wye
    Status - "Retired" - but not as far as my wife is concerned !!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members Currently Active: 0
No users are currently active
Keymaster | Moderator | Participant | Spectator | Blocked
Additional Forum Statistics
Threads: 985, Posts: 12,361, Members: 135
Welcome to our newest member, LostSoul
Most users ever online was 11 on June 5, 2017 1:36 pm