Display Problems On New PC

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Display Problems On New PC

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Dave Rice 1 year ago.

• Creator
    Topic

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree

I have set windows up on the new PC I got a couple of weeks back “Link To Model” and I have my two monitors plugged in by VGA & DVI but there only detected as one. I have no options in display settings to adjust this either. It worked fine in Linux but windows is having none of it. Any Ideas?

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Spread the love
Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 839

I see it’s your VGA screen that’s working. Have you tried another HDMI cable at all?

I’ve got last year’s version of that Zoostorm computer and mine works fine with 2 displays,  ( VGA and HDMI as it happens ) so yours should too.

EDIT – just re-read and saw the “working in Linux” bit, so ignore!!

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by JayCeeDee.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    Forumite Points: 1,097

I think its a driver issue. It seems to be running on windows own even though it was supposed to have installed all drivers from the disk. Oh, and dvi not hdmi 😉

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee

Are you using the mobo connections or off a graphics card?? Have you tried a cheap graphics card?? Using the card’s driver might correct the problem.

Mine’s off the mobo.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,342

It’s drivers. The clue is “standard VGA graphics adapter”.

I suspect you will need Windows 10 as Microsoft and Intel (and probably a few others) are not supporting new hardware on old o/ses.

The i5-7400 is definitely new hardware.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree

Well that is a bugger. I had some spare change in paypal last night so shopped on ebay and added office plus win 10 to cart. Then I checked out and it purchased office but no money left for 10 so I put 7 on. I only use my disposable card for purchases so I’ll make my way out today and put some money on it and go 10 if I can not get drivers going on 7. Time permitting, many thing’s to be doing. 😉

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree

Well I popped a spare gfx card in there and that solved the problem. Did all the updates on 7, restarted and run an update scan again. Now it will not update anymore because it is 7th gen cpu and not supported by 7 “Ironically” 😀 Oh well, Ill have to go to 10 😕 I do have my reasons to prefer 7 to 10 but I will not go into that now.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee

👍

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,772

I’ve found windows 10 to be super picky about picking up second  monitors, then hard trying to swap them around etc,  with my gtx 970.  In the end it was easier to swap the cables around than it was to swap them over with software

I think Display ports, out rank hdmi, so it will always set the DP as default. I can’t recall my actual issue, but I think if u had a, monitor in the hdmi port, then add a se on to the DP port, the DP one won’t show up, so I have to first plug into DP port, then into hdmi, then they both showed up, but in the wrong orientation. It wad rather that, or the compleat oppersite, where the hdmi needed to be plugged in first.

I think it was the creators update that made this happen. It may well be fixed by now, but I’ve not messed about with the set up since then.

Glad you have it sorted.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree

OH Well in the end I have gone kicking and screaming into 10 and office 2016. 10 was £3.98 and orifice 😏 2016 was £4.98 and all activated fine, from fleabay. Why move from Linux to windows if I did not want to you may ask “or not”. Well I tried multiple distros and videos were choppy and the system just did not feel 100% slick as it should. There were no drivers available to improve things but has I am typing this it has dawned on me I could of done what I have just done and put a separate GFX card in. 🙄😣

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

What card did you put in? If it’s low spec and or old it may be inferior to the i5’s.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree

Yes it is old spec “Very” but it does free up ram plus I just do not fancy stripping it back out. “8800GT 1 GB”.

I do not do anything other than some Gimp editing and it’s all mostly online cloud editing in the browser which seems more CPU/MEMORY intense.

I’ll see how it all goes but seems solid for now.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Those old cards are real power guzzlers.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love