DIY PC case

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk DIY PC case

This topic contains 68 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Richard 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka

I’m making a PC case from plywood. It will go on the wall in the footwell under the desk. I want to get rid of the PC case that is next to the desk so I can put a large plant there.

You can see a rough sketch bellow.

The SSDs will have to be attached to the underside of the top. Still thinking how I am going to attach it all.

But if any of you have something that could come in useful and you no longer need (like an SSD holder, maybe a DVD drive holder, or a removable motherboard tray) that you would be willing to post me please let me know. I will pay for the postage of course. Or even for the part.

Or if you have any ideas regarding this build feel free to share them.

At the moment I’m thinking of attaching long thin bolts to the motherboard (push the bolts through each of the holes in the motherboard and fasten them with nuts) then drill holes in the plywood lining them up with the motherboard holes. The bolts should just slide in into the holes and hold the motherboard in place.

Let me know if you have anything for me.

Much obliged!

• This topic was modified 3 months ago by tadka.
Spread the love
Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,374

I’ve got a plastic HDD tray and some other odds and sods. I’ll gather them together and get a photo.

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka
    Forumite Points: 687

Thanks Dave, I was going to look through some computer cases at the local tip but they just would not let me have any of it. And since a coworker got tracked down and received a penalty for taking something from there I decided not to risk taking anything without their permission.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 2,140

I’ll have a look in my drawer of bits next week, if you don’t hear anything from me please feel free to remind me.

My Instagram

My YouTube

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka

I will PlaneMan 🙂 Thanks

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,301

It might be worth signing on to one of the free stuff sites, e.g. Freecycle and asking if anyone has a PC they no longer wish to keep. I ended up taking several to PC World for them to deal with a little while ago, even though they had nice new and modern PSUs, in quite good cases, the rest of the bits were just too old to worry about.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 543

Is this a good idea? PCs are full of nasty square waves, all waiting to interfere with your radio, TV or anything else that relies of radio waves over a very wide frequency range. The metal cases of PCs both “ground out” much of this, but of course also shield the PC to keep it from escaping.

I would make a fuss about the scrap people (amenity site I assume) since the object is RE-USE before so called “Recycle”.

If you are an “anti-social network” user, make a big fuss there. Somebody will at least send you an unwanted PC case to keep you quiet.

Les.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 543

Also, I forgot. If you do put long screws thro the M/B, don’t forget many are grounded, whilst others are insulated. When we built PCs and sold components, we would regularly get some smart a**e purchaser of M/B etc coming back insisting it was faulty. The first thing I would look for and point out was how they had managed to short out the M/B either on an unused and unwanted support.

Les.

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 806

Dont forget to post up some pictures so we can have a laugh.

Dont be shy broad shoulder on. Ok

Okay. 🙂

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Thinking about what Les said about grounding, I noticed the old Zoostorm case I was about to recycle was only held together with pop rivets. A bit of drilling later we have a motherboard tray, expansion slots, 5.25″ and 3.5″ drive cage, 120mm fan, 2 front USB and a switch / light assembly. There’s also a plastic drive caddy from another PC.

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka

Les, thanks for the info. Definitely something to look into. Maybe line the inside with foil. I don’t want to use a proper case purely for the looks. I want it painted white so it’s inconspicuous as possible.

Actually, I just remembered, I’ve had my computer case open for many years now. A friend did say to me once that I am frying my brain but I was sceptical. Don’t know if my brain has been fried but I haven’t had any other issues. But I will be looking into this nonetheless. Especially the grounding of the motherboard.

Dave, I think some of what you have there can be used for this. Those drive cages should work nicely. Would you mind slinging it all in a box posting it to me?

You can send me a money request to PayPal (tadaska2000@yahoo.co.uk) to cover the cost. Or I can do a bank transfer if it’s preferable.

keith with the teef, I’m a bit busy next week but I’m hoping to get the base board cut out of plywood tomorrow. Bought some thin bolts for the motherboard already. I’ll definitely post some pics once I have made a bit of progress.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I was thinking you could attach the motherboard tray to the case then mount the motherboard on it. That would get around the grounding issues.

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka

I was thinking you could attach the motherboard tray to the case then mount the motherboard on it. That would get around the grounding issues.

That was my initial plan when I started thinking about this. Once I got it all here in my hands to look at I’ll figure something out.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 1,640

I put the wood PC in the wrong place but anyone remember that from Micro Mart ?

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,448

I would make a fuss about the scrap people (amenity site I assume) since the object is RE-USE before so called “Recycle”. If you are an “anti-social network” user, make a big fuss there. Somebody will at least send you an unwanted PC case to keep you quiet. Les.

Les, I don’t know about the IoM recycling amenities, but here in East Lindsey the staff at our local dump face penalties if they give away anything brought in. If they try to sell stuff, those penalties include instant dismissal. The staff at our local dump are really good and helpful, so people accept this. Plus there are big signs all around the facility, warning customers and staff.

Tadka, do you have a local FB “Marketplace” or Buy & Sell Group? I joined this Group last year in my area and extended my membership all over North & Midlands. Examples today were 3x PC old desktops (free) several more modern for sale, desks/workstations. Also a massive pile of brand new plywood sheets. Loads of stuff always available, cheap or free. You could also try Freecycle, where I have moved quite a lot of stuff, (after threats from SWMBO) that just would not attract a sale at all. Sorry to say that I had to take one old case to the dump last year: no one wanted it then, even free.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

You still have a local dump ? Brent and Harrow are trying to close their’s.

Still want to fine you if you don’t recycle though.

How does that work ?

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka

So if they close it where do you dump all the stuff you don’t need?

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I don’t have a box and I’m not expecting to order anything of an appropriate size soon, but I have large sturdy plastic mailing bags and plenty of bubble wrap.

The drive cage is very thin mild steel so I’m going to look at carefully folding it flat.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Well it looks like you put the stuff you don’t want in a bin bag and dump it next to a tree.

Madness

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

It gets worse of course. The council sends a van around 3 times a week to pick up the rubbish or you can pay them £50 to have your old matress picked up direct.

Where do they take it to ?

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,715

Graham – if you are really upset, complain to your councillors, organise a petition, and get the press involved.  Councillors hate getting bad press and protests+press get them incensed.

Bit late now of course the best time was before the local elections. It only took a couple of local issues plus the National mood of course to wipe out a 100% Conservative local council and install a 100% Lib Dem one instead!

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love