DIY PC case

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk DIY PC case

This topic contains 39 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by tadka 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka

I’m making a PC case from plywood. It will go on the wall in the footwell under the desk. I want to get rid of the PC case that is next to the desk so I can put a large plant there.

You can see a rough sketch bellow.

The SSDs will have to be attached to the underside of the top. Still thinking how I am going to attach it all.

But if any of you have something that could come in useful and you no longer need (like an SSD holder, maybe a DVD drive holder, or a removable motherboard tray) that you would be willing to post me please let me know. I will pay for the postage of course. Or even for the part.

Or if you have any ideas regarding this build feel free to share them.

At the moment I’m thinking of attaching long thin bolts to the motherboard (push the bolts through each of the holes in the motherboard and fasten them with nuts) then drill holes in the plywood lining them up with the motherboard holes. The bolts should just slide in into the holes and hold the motherboard in place.

Let me know if you have anything for me.

Much obliged!

• This topic was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by tadka.
Spread the love
Viewing 19 replies - 21 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 1,478

We didn’t have a local election in London. Even if we did it wouldn’t matter. I get Labour whatever I vote.

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka
    Forumite Points: 629

I don’t have a box and I’m not expecting to order anything of an appropriate size soon, but I have large sturdy plastic mailing bags and plenty of bubble wrap. The drive cage is very thin mild steel so I’m going to look at carefully folding it flat.

<hr />

That’s fine Dave, if the drive cage can be separated do so, I’ll have to do it anyway.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 2,008

Only thing that I have of use is a packet of 10 thumbscrews and some thermal paste. Thought I had more stuff but either I’ve tidied it away to well or binned it. 😕

My Instagram

My YouTube

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,100

I seem to recall a MM contributor (Mark Pickavance?) building a computer out of a beer keg, another actually within a workstation desk.

Sounds like the kind of far out thing Mr Pickavance would do.

Tadka, I have a TP-Link TG-3468 Gigabit Network adapter kicking around, no use for it myself. Happy to send it for P&P. I will have a look in my spares box in the shed tomorrow. I also have a 60GB IDE Hdd, used lightly since I went SATA after blowing the mobo. Still works fine, but P&P on that may be prohibitive.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

wasbit
    Participant
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 495

IIUC you are transferring the innards to save space. Won’t the desktop fit in the knee space, on a small stand perhaps, to raise it off the floor?

If you are any where near Oxford, I have a couple of complete desktops from which you can choose one.

Look to be newer than yours. If you want the specs, I’ll sort them out.

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Zalman Media Centre Rebuild (i3-540)
    Rig 2: Hp Elitebook 8440P (The Dave Laptop Special)
    The Dave Special & The 43 Special are still giving sterling service with new owners

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka

Bob & wasbit, thanks for your generous offers but I have all the components, I just need things to hold them inside my wooden case. I’m waiting for Dave to send the bits so I can start engineering it.

Dave, I’ll pm you my work address. It’s probably easier for you to send it first and then invoice me later.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,505

All you shoidl need is some mobo stand offs, (pilot hole and screw in), and some double sided velcro. My ssd just sit in the bottom of my cases. Iirc one is held in place with hot glue. The other just sits there.

If you get a gtx extention cable (can’t recall the name of the socket, long day) it will mean you can place the gfx card anywhere.

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka

I’m liking your suggestions Duke. I didn’t know a gfx extension cables was a thing. Will look into it. It should make things easier. And velcro might come in handy too.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,505

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253247774293

You can daisy chain them too. they do come in many lengths though, bit may be cheaper to daisy chain a coupé of shorter ones than source a single longer one maybe. Make sure you get the correct speed one, x16 etc..

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 1,478

Its a little publicised fact that PCIe was actually designed with device interconnect in mind, especially connecting nodes in a multi CPU cluster.

The maximum cable length for gen 1 and 2 is 7m. Don’t know what it is for gen 3 😁

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,100

Good info Graham, thank you!

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka

The case has started to take shape.

I will be taking Duke’s advice and use a cable for the gfx card. But I need to screw the gfx card to the case. I got these electrical screws for this job as they are the perfect thickness but I can’t find any nuts for them. Any of you know what nuts go on those electrical screws? There are some M3.5 nuts online but it doesn’t say anything about the thread. Any ideas?

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,352

A silly question – why do you need a case if the whole thing is fixed under your desk? Other than the PSU (which should be cased) all the other components are low voltage and just need a bit of protection from being knocked.

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 849

I got these electrical screws for this job as they are the perfect thickness but I can’t find any nuts for them. Any of you know what nuts go on those electrical screws? There are some M3.5 nuts online but it doesn’t say anything about the thread. Any ideas?  

M3.5 is the thread.

If those screws are M3.5 the nuts will be fine.

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka

A silly question – why do you need a case if the whole thing is fixed under your desk? Other than the PSU (which should be cased) all the other components are low voltage and just need a bit of protection from being knocked.

Like you said, to protect it from me kicking it and also I’ll paint it white (the same as the wall) so it blends in and is less conspicuous. This design will have the cables going to the sides which should allow me to hide them behind the drawer cabinets. I’m going for a nice clean look.

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka

I got these electrical screws for this job as they are the perfect thickness but I can’t find any nuts for them. Any of you know what nuts go on those electrical screws? There are some M3.5 nuts online but it doesn’t say anything about the thread. Any ideas?

M3.5 is the thread. If those screws are M3.5 the nuts will be fine.

Thanks Boris, in that case I’ll order some  🙂

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 849

Only just realised you are using a socket 775 motherboard for this new build.

If so, what CPU does it have ? – I have a good selection if they are better than what it is currently running ?

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka

Only just realised you are using a socket 775 motherboard for this new build. If so, what CPU does it have ? – I have a good selection if they are better than what it is currently running ?

Thanks Boris. This PC is a dinosaur. You are not the first one to offer me better stuff 🙂 But it’s doing the job adequately for my needs so I can’t be bother to do any upgrades. I’ve got a C2Q 2.4GHz (Q6600) that someone on here donated me a few years back (I had a C2D prior). I’ll leave it as it is for now until one day I start feeling the need to build myself something new 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by tadka.
Viewing 19 replies - 21 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love