Does this cable exist

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Does this cable exist

This topic contains 32 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Wheels-Of-Fire 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Mark Turner
    Participant
    @turner74

A friend came round the other day with some weird contraption in his hands asking for a cable basically said contraption had the old style parallel pc connection for a printer 24 pin jobby so he asked if I had a cable that went from 24 pin to the square usb plug that goes into the back of newer usb printers does such a cable exist? I have never come across one.

Cheers Mark

Spread the love
Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 2,616

Hi Mark

Maybe this adapter:     http://tinyurl.com/yysswn9o

Connected to This cable? –

http://tinyurl.com/y58ggw4w

Bit of a kludge, but should work.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 1,833

I think this is what is needed;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NEWLink-USB-Parallel-Printer-Cable/dp/B001FB6WN2

I had one that I used in the past though I am not sure where it is now, it might have been a victim of my from time to time clear outs. I also had a serial to parallel but that was a real pain in the behind to set up with its speed and parity bits all needing to be setup. USB is was a lot simpler before a thousand and one variations came along.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,843

This sounds like he wants to drive a USB printer from a parallel port on the PC?

Not sure why anyone would want to do that!

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 1,226

Sounds like an early Zip drive. If it is beware the click of death.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

Sorry, that might have been the wrong item, I asked for one thing but might have been given another.

I retried with brain more in gear, was this what he really wanted, it looks like the right gender and end:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/parallel-port-to-usb/bn_7024812227

Good luck with old kit for which time has moved on. That link showed both styles of connection to me, but I cannot vouch for their reliability!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Richard. Reason: Added a foot note

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Sorry Richard, his words point to the USB “A” to “B” connection:

“…a cable that went from 24 pin to the square usb plug that goes into the back of newer usb printers. ”

The two links I gave would provide an adapter and a USB connector to do this. Any more detail, Mark?

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

Bob, the 24 pin reference is the one that pointed me to either Centronics, a ‘different’ serial port (if I remember some very old ones were 24 pin rather than the more regular 9) or a SCSI ports which appeared in a number of different size presentations on equipment I last saw in the 1990s.

However the full quote said: contraption had the old style parallel pc connection for a printer 24 pin jobby so he asked if I had a cable that went from 24 pin to the square usb plug that goes into the back of newer usb printers does such a cable exist? That rules out the SCSI and probably the serial port. Cables with 24 pin Centronic to USB and USB A to b adapters certainly exist. Some OP feedback would settle the issue.

Neither USB A or B  have 24 pins, some USB have 4 and some later versions I understand have 8, not all the same length. However, a picture of both ends would have been useful.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

I stand corrected Richard, the one I linked to actually has 36 pins.

Found this, it’s 25 pin with 1 pin not paired. With the A to B adapter I linked, might be the answer. Take a look Mark.

http://tinyurl.com/y2xs6qor

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

Bob, my only point was originally only to support the view that such a cable does exist. However, it has shown that in the past such ports were a total pain with no two ever the same.

I was surprised to see that a new looking parallel port printer (with an idle USB port) was in use in the hospital today, nothing exotic either, I am not sure what drove the beast. I have to use an exotic arrangement if I want to use my parallel port portable printer, the PCs no longer support the port style.

Mark Turner
    Participant
    @turner74
    Forumite Points: 213

Hi Guys thanks for your input. Dave is semi right it is the printer connection that would plug into the back of the pc to the square usb connector on the printer. Only its not going into the pc it going into the back of said contraption. I will get a picture of the contraption to show you what he needs. WOF it isn’t a zip drive from what little info I got from him it is something to do with birds I haven’t seen anything like it before.

Cheers

Mark

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I can’t wait!

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

For those who may like a reminder of the bad old days have a look at the attached PDF.

Ignore the fact that this is for an old Atari and have a look at the RS232 wiring options !

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Or maybe not then 😂

Mark Turner
    Participant
    @turner74
    Forumite Points: 213

Hi all

Pictures of the “thing” sorry about the quality my phone wouldn’t focus for anything its a honor 9 and I seem to have this problem a lot with it one for another thread though. At least you can make out the plug in question.

Cheers

Mark

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 368

The 25 pin shown there is (as it says) a (parallel) printer port. The 9-pin nearly is a serial port, as is the occasional similar 25 pin port of the same gender. You simply need a parallel to USB converter (though they seem to be USB to parallel converters in the usual descriptions. That printer port is the same as often used on some SCSI cards, which also had the big centronics ports sometimes. I would no mind a £5er for every time I tried to convince punters that a simple gender bender would not convert a 25 pin serial to parallel or vice virsa. On more than one occasion I have said “OK, you know best, but we don’t stock them. You could try xxxx down in town, and walked away.

You probably wont get one with the type of “square” USB connector you want, but one or more converters will get you there. (ie, a female to female, plus a male to “square” cable (modern printer type).

Les.

Les.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 1,079

Hi all Pictures of the “thing” sorry about the quality my phone wouldn’t focus for anything its a honor 9 and I seem to have this problem a lot with it one for another thread though. At least you can make out the plug in question. Cheers Mark

From Tippon’s post on the other “camera” topic

The camera on the Honor 9 gives blurred photos regularly. The app is awful. The minimum shutter speed that’s recommended for a camera held by hand is 1/25th of a second, and that’s assuming that you’ve got steady hands and the other settings won’t let you go higher. Anything slower than that and you’re pretty much guaranteed to get some blur. The Honor 9’s app generally sets the shutter speed to 1/17th of a second, even if the other settings give you plenty of wiggle room (e.g. it does that at ISO 100 and 200). Manually setting the shutter speed cures it instantly, and the other settings auto adjust to compensate, but then you can’t use the other features like burst mode. It’s very annoying.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,456

The 25 pin shown there is (as it says) a (parallel) printer port.

Yep, I’ve just compared you photo to an old Pentium 4 motherboard I’ve got. https://photos.app.goo.gl/gueZijThUqDKmv4E8

Looking at the picture, and your description of what he wants, I’m guessing that he wants to print directly from the device. I may be wrong, but I don’t think it will work. I imagine that the device is too old. As it has a USB plug to connect it to a computer though, that may be the best way forwards – transfer the data to a computer and print from there.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I have only ever seen USB PC to parallel printer. I don’t think they exist.

Have a look here https://www.tripplite.com/products/cable-finder The only pairing of a DB25 male is to a Centronics or DB9.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

I did find this item, but it is a bit more than ‘just a cable’: https://www.lpt2usb.net/ but the cost of this item at $69 in the USA makes it an unattractive option and would they even supply to the UK? There appear to be some ‘clever’ (necessary) electronics in this box, but beware the printer that was used for your friend’s device may be a special, dedicated item. Can you not find a reference to the device in question on the web where others might discuss how they have achieved the result your friend desires?

Also be aware that some USB devices should not be back to backed with a computer if you do not want to blow the ports or more on one or other devices. Special cables were produced at one time for the purpose. Again some form of manual for the device could save future heartache.

An old, or possibly new printer with LPT Centronics type port or both types of port  might be an easier arrangement. Second had items do turn up from time to time. However, if the device lacks support for the printer in question the output could be gibberish.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

Addendum, though there is a port marked ‘printer’, there is still a small chance that the could have been some special form of serial printer, so a manual is really a key need to confirm the exact requirements.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love