Doggerland

HOME Forums Other Stuff Doggerland

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

An article tailored to Bob’s interests!

The mapping of Doggerland (bit by bit)

Spread the love
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 713

With this global warming I dont know about doggerland being lost to the north sea I recon leicestershire will go first.

I think that is where they filmed the ice age cartoon. Doggerland.

We R burning down the house. soon be eating soylent green busicuits and so will greenday the rock band. Damn, bet they didn’t see that coming. πŸ™‚

Must listen to the shipping forcast. πŸ™‚

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,325

Thanks for that Ed, great read as you knew it would be for me. I think that the researchers should check out the Lincolnshire coast as well, although I am loath to see even the professional archaeologists picking up “my” flint tools and knappings! I know a guy who works the windfarms and gets in a little – ahem – ‘lost fish’ retrieval at the same time. He tells me that he has found a lot of interesting stuff whilst engaged in this – erm – activity.

A few years ago I met the Dutch foreman of the Coast Renourishment team working our local beaches, pumping sand from far out and piling it up the beaches to make a bulwark against erosion.*Β  This gentleman and I have corresponded occasionally and he tells me that they have trawled up Rhino horn, Mammoth tusks, huge deer antlers and literally thousands of flint tools and knappings. We have the tools to remake civilisation on our doorstep! Well, our beaches, anyhow.

Graham, you may be interested to learn that the local routes back from the coast hereabouts, have red-signposted routes marked to help us escape flooding. If Global warming turns out to be as bad as predicted, you could paddle your canoe from Leicestershire to the Lincolnshire Islands. Which would have been the Lincolnshire Wolds of course. We will, however be ready for immigrants and will employ the usual obstacles to protect ourselves.πŸ€”πŸ˜†

*This work has been ongoing for many years now and the results are outstanding: Maram Grass has taken root and dunes have formed around the grass, which is spreading more each year. The spring tides have not killed it, the seas just drain back through the compacted sand dunes, which is a much better than the original Sea Walls. Which are now completely buried at some depth. I remember coming to this coast many years ago and watching the sea break over the sea wall. Today the tide is much farther out.

What also helps is the coastal erosion further north, which is very slowly adding coastline to Lincolnshire.

Sorry Yorkshire, that must be the law of unintended consequences. Nowt to do wi’ us, honest.

β€œIf you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,559

Bob, perhaps you should contact the archaeology team and share some of your knowledge with them.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Waiting for a relevant response from “Current Archaeology” magazine Ed, I have a subscription. Meanwhile, here is another link which gives a more comprehensive map of Doggerland, with dates of inundation by the North Sea. –

http://tinyurl.com/yxmw2x3e

North Norfolk can be seen from Skegness on a clear day, more clearly still from Gibraltar Point (well worth a visit):

http://tinyurl.com/y8o95a54

I have read that Doggerland was originally the site of a river that would rival the Nile: it joined the Rhine to the Thames. What a sight that would have been!

The renourishment of Lincolnshire beaches is due to begin again this year:

http://tinyurl.com/y6hwr9pl

The area covered by the scheme is my “stamping ground” and I will be doing my best to visit, photograph and present here whenever possible. A little ironic that it starts on what would have been my mother’s 119th birthday. Mam hated the East Coast and loved Blackpool. Dad and I loved the East coast and fished it from Scarborough regularly, using the same boat and skipper for years. My old dad would have loved all this! Tomorrow, or shortly after, I will take the camera out.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Bob Williams.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 1,297

North Norfolk can be seen from Skegness on a clear day, more clearly still from Gibraltar Point (well worth a visit):

I was up there last week and visited Cromer , driving through some of the villages on the North Norfolk coast. Weather was so sh1tty I had trouble seeing the wind farm, let alone Skeggy!!!πŸ˜£πŸ˜¬πŸ˜‹

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Worse than that JCD: Yesterday we went to Cleethorpes and it was a perfectly clear day. So clear that we could see East Yorkshire on the other bank very clearly. We had to go into Papas for some excellent fish ‘n’ chips, to get over the shock.πŸ˜†πŸ˜Š

That pic is from Feb 2018. Yesterday we had a 20 minute wait for a table, last Bank Holiday it was 45 mins so we went elsewhere. Very popular place.

Bonus: can’t see E. Yorks from in there!

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 1,297

Worse than that JCD: Yesterday we went to Cleethorpes and it was a perfectly clear day. So clear that we could see East Yorkshire on the other bank very clearly.

Yes, I was gutted – drove back home on Saturday from rain, through rain and back into rain. Then Sunday was fine and sunny and Monday has been a bit better. Did we choose the wrong week or what – we thought to avoid Easter but it was lovely then too!!!πŸ˜–β˜Ή

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

The only place more miserable than Norfolk in the rain, is Old Trafford during a home game this season.πŸ˜‹

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love