HOME Forums Other Stuff Doggerland

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Doggerland 2Ed P
    @edps

An article tailored to Bob’s interests!

The mapping of Doggerland (bit by bit)

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Doggerland 3keith with the teef
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 2,470

With this global warming I dont know about doggerland being lost to the north sea I recon leicestershire will go first.

I think that is where they filmed the ice age cartoon. Doggerland.

We R burning down the house. soon be eating soylent green busicuits and so will greenday the rock band. Damn, bet they didn’t see that coming. :)

Must listen to the shipping forcast. :)

Participant
    Doggerland 4Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,995

Thanks for that Ed, great read as you knew it would be for me. I think that the researchers should check out the Lincolnshire coast as well, although I am loath to see even the professional archaeologists picking up “my” flint tools and knappings! I know a guy who works the windfarms and gets in a little – ahem – ‘lost fish’ retrieval at the same time. He tells me that he has found a lot of interesting stuff whilst engaged in this – erm – activity.

A few years ago I met the Dutch foreman of the Coast Renourishment team working our local beaches, pumping sand from far out and piling it up the beaches to make a bulwark against erosion.*  This gentleman and I have corresponded occasionally and he tells me that they have trawled up Rhino horn, Mammoth tusks, huge deer antlers and literally thousands of flint tools and knappings. We have the tools to remake civilisation on our doorstep! Well, our beaches, anyhow.

Graham, you may be interested to learn that the local routes back from the coast hereabouts, have red-signposted routes marked to help us escape flooding. If Global warming turns out to be as bad as predicted, you could paddle your canoe from Leicestershire to the Lincolnshire Islands. Which would have been the Lincolnshire Wolds of course. We will, however be ready for immigrants and will employ the usual obstacles to protect ourselves.??

*This work has been ongoing for many years now and the results are outstanding: Maram Grass has taken root and dunes have formed around the grass, which is spreading more each year. The spring tides have not killed it, the seas just drain back through the compacted sand dunes, which is a much better than the original Sea Walls. Which are now completely buried at some depth. I remember coming to this coast many years ago and watching the sea break over the sea wall. Today the tide is much farther out.

What also helps is the coastal erosion further north, which is very slowly adding coastline to Lincolnshire.

Sorry Yorkshire, that must be the law of unintended consequences. Nowt to do wi’ us, honest.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    Doggerland 2Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,295

Bob, perhaps you should contact the archaeology team and share some of your knowledge with them.

Participant
    Doggerland 4Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Waiting for a relevant response from “Current Archaeology” magazine Ed, I have a subscription. Meanwhile, here is another link which gives a more comprehensive map of Doggerland, with dates of inundation by the North Sea. –

http://tinyurl.com/yxmw2x3e

North Norfolk can be seen from Skegness on a clear day, more clearly still from Gibraltar Point (well worth a visit):

http://tinyurl.com/y8o95a54

I have read that Doggerland was originally the site of a river that would rival the Nile: it joined the Rhine to the Thames. What a sight that would have been!

The renourishment of Lincolnshire beaches is due to begin again this year:

http://tinyurl.com/y6hwr9pl

The area covered by the scheme is my “stamping ground” and I will be doing my best to visit, photograph and present here whenever possible. A little ironic that it starts on what would have been my mother’s 119th birthday. Mam hated the East Coast and loved Blackpool. Dad and I loved the East coast and fished it from Scarborough regularly, using the same boat and skipper for years. My old dad would have loved all this! Tomorrow, or shortly after, I will take the camera out.

I'm out.

Participant
    Doggerland 7JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 4,818

North Norfolk can be seen from Skegness on a clear day, more clearly still from Gibraltar Point (well worth a visit):

I was up there last week and visited Cromer , driving through some of the villages on the North Norfolk coast. Weather was so sh1tty I had trouble seeing the wind farm, let alone Skeggy!!!???

Participant
    Doggerland 4Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Worse than that JCD: Yesterday we went to Cleethorpes and it was a perfectly clear day. So clear that we could see East Yorkshire on the other bank very clearly. We had to go into Papas for some excellent fish ‘n’ chips, to get over the shock.??

Doggerland 9

That pic is from Feb 2018. Yesterday we had a 20 minute wait for a table, last Bank Holiday it was 45 mins so we went elsewhere. Very popular place.

Bonus: can’t see E. Yorks from in there!

I'm out.

Participant
    Doggerland 7JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 4,818

Worse than that JCD: Yesterday we went to Cleethorpes and it was a perfectly clear day. So clear that we could see East Yorkshire on the other bank very clearly.

Yes, I was gutted – drove back home on Saturday from rain, through rain and back into rain. Then Sunday was fine and sunny and Monday has been a bit better. Did we choose the wrong week or what – we thought to avoid Easter but it was lovely then too!!!?☹

Participant
    Doggerland 4Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

The only place more miserable than Norfolk in the rain, is Old Trafford during a home game this season.?

I'm out.

Participant
    Doggerland 2Ed P
    @edps

Just to encourage Bob in his beachcombing, this is what a Dutch lady found. Link

Participant
    Doggerland 4Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Great link Ed, haven’t been down to the beach lately, having a bad time medically. Spent most of yesterday and today in bed, abdominal pains, blood in my urine and a lump has formed over the centre of the pancreatic cancer scar, which is an 18″ parabola. Asked for a GP appointment online, hoping my GP is not too busy tomorrow: but it is Monday tomorrow. However, the extreme pains are receding now and I might get some sleep tonight.  Last night I slept well to 2:30 am, after which I could not go off again, so got up, passed water and booted up the PC, went back at 6:15 and SWMBO let me sleep until I woke. At 1:15 pm. That’s why my previous posts are at ‘unsocial hours’ 😎 I know if the staff tell him what’s wrong that he will see me, he is very good GP.

When I can, I will get to the bottom of my bowl of rocks, which is where the first collected items live. It’s a big bowl and was subject to some criticism from SWMBO, until my youngest Gdaughter and her dad took an interest. Sil had brought lots of rocks back in the car after last year’s Brittany holiday. Both of them stood my corner. I find that any opinion from the gd has weight with my missus. That is useful…😉

This is similar to the Renourishing project carried out by the Dutch world experts around the Lincolnshire coast: –

Nearly half a kilometer wide, the beach is made of material dredged from the sea bottom 13 kilometers offshore and dumped on the existing beach in 2012. It’s a €70 million experimental coastal protection measure, its sands designed to spread over time to shield the Dutch coast from sea-level rise.

What they don’t add is that Maram Grass is then planted, its matted roots and fast-growing nature hold the sand together and any extreme high tides will see the waves filter back down through the sand, without damaging the grass too much. And it grows again so quickly.

I have seen the forecast for the week after this one: a combination of high tides, south winds and according to a fisherman I know, heavy seas. The bottom debris will be washed up on the beaches with those conditions and I am hoping to be in better health then. I will be looking for all the stuff that Willy van Wingerden found, but only once found a part of an antler and a part of a mammoth tusk. These and other items are in Louth Museum, but I don’t put my name to them.

Take a look at this from LCC, regarding archaeology during work at the Eastern bypass. Tonight on Look North, Head of LCC has had Bojo’s presence at the Works and has his agreement to enforce new laws to speed up the work, not just here but at all sites.. That may mean less archaeology and less protection of endangered species. Today Boris has stated that £100 Billion will be made available for “Infrastructure”. How much of that will end up here is the question! Anyway: –

http://tinyurl.com/szv6bvh

I'm out.

Participant
    Doggerland 2Ed P
    @edps

Sorry to hear that you have been ill. Get well soon and get back to finding flint tools!

Participant
    Doggerland 15Richard
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 6,517

Bob, I am very sorry to hear of your ills and can only trust that you will get urgent relief and that “nothing too serious” and that this will do the trick is the answer to the problem.

Thank you for that link, it was an interesting read. It is a shame that it takes a bypass to track down valuable history. Some might think it should not be disturbed, but at least there are trained people to carry out the work of excavation and recording these days and had it not been found things could continue in profound ignorance for much longer. I was reading a day or so ago how a detectorist had carried out painstaking and costly investigation of a coin he had found from what had been part of the dark ages of our history, but the Lincolnshire find was far more in depth and long spanning business. I guess those walls that had been uncovered were from not as far back as the earliest material, I suspect no earlier than Roman Times, but it shows how long the history can reach back. All previously unknown to almost everyone, now not only is far more known, we can also understand far more of the details of how and why things happened.

Participant
    Doggerland 4Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Thanks for the good wishes Richard and Ed. I am a little better today, having seen a GP, not my own but a guy I assume from his name to be of Afghani or Pakistani origin. He seemed to know his stuff, but also appeared a bit ‘green’ and not yet used to the surroundings and very modern facilities in our large surgery. He did confirm the blood issue after immediately testing himself and has referred me to yet another consultant. I asked for Grimsby but have a feeling it will be Lincoln and the one who terminated his input last year because I was not having the issue at the time he saw me. Despite my insistence that it was a condition which comes and goes.

The good news is that we have been accepted for the ground floor apartment that we applied for. Now for the hassle that is moving and discarding everything we have had for years but will no longer use again. We are fortunate to have both son and daughter employed in schools, as they are shortly to have a term break. More hands to the pumps!

Hopefully I can find time next week to visit the beaches and obtain more finds.

I'm out.

Keymaster
    Doggerland 17RSB
    @bdthree
    Forumite Points: 7,359

I came accross this on youtube as I was browsing and remembered this thread title, not that I know much about it.

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Forumite Donations Paypal.me/forumite

Participant
    Doggerland 4Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

That’s pretty good Lee,  for anyone who wants a quick outline of what was Doggerland. When we first moved here 17 years ago, my missus and I roamed around the country side all the time. On one of our rambles, a conversation with a local farmer taking his lunch on a beautiful day turned to the subject. I told him about Doggerland and his reply was that his family had farmed Lincolnshire for generations, so one of his ancestors was probably out there, killing and eating mammoths. That farmer became a mate and I started him looking into books about the Ice Age and Doggerland. He retired a couple of years ago and his missus tells me that I gave him an interest. After his retirement he came to me to advise him what PC to buy and I advised a laptop. He bought a nice 17″ HP and now spends most of his time in his Man Cave, studying history. His missus says it keeps him from under her feet. He also goes to beaches across the UK and has a great collection of rocks and fossils.

In Louth there is a lovely beauty spot called Hubbards Hills:    http://tinyurl.com/tjzqu2z

This was created by a huge flash flood after a previous Ice Age. It’s a lovely spot to walk through, with a steep, bending ravine bearing trees either side and a large stream wandering through it. Never go there when it’s wet as it gets muddy, and never on a warm spring or summer day. There will be hundreds of kids in and out of the water and the smoke from portable BBQ’s, is enough to make your eyes water.

I'm out.

Participant
    Doggerland 2Ed P
    @edps

Not Doggerland Bob, but judging from this you should not discard any wooden bits you find. People in that period were better craftsmen than we have previously credited.

Seven Thousand Years-old carpentry

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.