Forumite

dos or not to dos

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    dos or not to dos 2johnbarry
    @johnbarry

When you first start up a computer (before Windows loads) to enter the bios/boot from CD/DVD etc

ie when you load True Image recovery CD – Windows ME startup CD and you get the small white text.When installing a fresh copy of Windows you get a message Press Any Key To Boot From CD.

All this is before Windows What is it called?

I used to call background loading as loading into Dos.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 7 replies - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    dos or not to dos 3Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,677

Yes I know John. Your problem is with USB keyboards and why selecting legacy keyboard support in the BIOS doesn’t fix it is beyond me ๐Ÿคจ

Except, is there a BIOS update you could install ? because making a USB keyboard work with a legacy OS is the job of the BIOS.

Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Just one more thought. Your system will have more than one USB controller. Have you tried plugging the keyboard into a USB port that is connected to a different controller ?

Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Just one more more thought ๐Ÿ˜

The BIOS uses a similar trick to the legacy keyboard one to make USB sticks bootable. The BIOS makes a USB stick appear to be an ATA drive. Some BIOS’s have seperate settings for legacy keyboard and legacy USB. Are you sure that you are setting legacy KEYBOARD to on ? The setting will not have USB in its name.

Participant
    dos or not to dos 6Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 1,677

I think it was Bob Williams? whos sent me a PS2 keyboard, if it wanโ€™t Bob (williams) then ooppss my memory is โ€”โ€” up again. it could have been BJM

I think it might have been me ?

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 4,458

Thanks Graham I will probe once it’s back on.

So sos Boris I knew it was a B but I couldn’t think what came after B so I guesed. It’s still sorting my problem out. It’s plugged in and hiding behind the desk, while I use a USB keyboard for everything other than when I need to press any key it has to be PS2.

Cheers
    John

Participant
    dos or not to dos 8Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,353

No wasn’t me John. Haven’t forgotten the SATA, got to dig it out and test it, been on weekend Granddad Duty. Sorry!

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 4,458

Thanks Bob

Sata – when ur ready

Cheers
    John

Viewing 7 replies - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.