Forumite

Dual screen wrong resolution

HOME Forums Tech Windows Talk Dual screen wrong resolution

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Marc Berry 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Marc Berry
    Participant
    @marc-knuckle

Hi guys

At work i use an office and used to share my monitor with my customer when viewing things. Due to a back issue they have installed a second monitor so i don’t have to keep twisting and reaching over. This is then set to clone what I’m seeing on mine.

The new screen, mine, is 1920 x 1080 and is great. However this has forced the other to the same but it should only be 1280 x 1024 so it is not looking great.

I went into monitor settings and even if i click on to monitor 2 and adjust its settings it changes mine too. I can’t seem to be able to have each at a different resolution.

I can’t say where i work but they may have put blocks on certain settings but if anyone can give me an idea I’ll try it.

Cheers, Marc

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,373

A clone is a clone i.e. they both have to be the same resolution. If you think about it it has to be.

Marc Berry
    Participant
    @marc-knuckle
    Forumite Points: 214

<p style=”text-align: justify;”>

A clone is a clone i.e. they both have to be the same resolution. If you think about it it has to be.

</p>
    Cheers Dave. Yeah, makes sense. I wasnt sure whether i was missing an option somewhere.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

You could try making the smaller screen the primary and cloning that then seeing if your monitor will upscale it.

It will still be 1280 x 1024 so the icons etc will be a bit big ?

Marc Berry
    Participant
    @marc-knuckle

You could try making the smaller screen the primary and cloning that then seeing if your monitor will upscale it. It will still be 1280 x 1024 so the icons etc will be a bit big ?

Tried that Dave. You’re right, it works but it’s too big then on the new screen

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 2,682

Windows now handles cloned screens and as was said above a clone is a clone. Until recently dual screens were handled by the graphics card driver with things like Dual view. May be worth having a look in your graphics card control though.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 2,968

Can’t you then use W10’s large/medium/small icon option??

1. Right-click on an empty space on the desktop.

2. Select View from the contextual menu.

3. Select either Large icons, Medium icons, or Small icons. The default is medium icons.

Marc Berry
    Participant
    @marc-knuckle

Hi guys.

Firstly my company only updated from win xp to 7 last year.

They’ve also locked out the actually graphics card settings and even the right click menu!

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

JCD, if he makes the icons OK for his screen they will be too small for the other screen.

The answer is a £68 AOC monitor from Amazon for the other monitor. I’ve bought a few of these recently.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Well..

Think you are stuck.W10 now understands cloned displays and only gives you one frame buffer.

Without support from a special driver you are stuck. Sorry ?

Marc Berry
    Participant
    @marc-knuckle

No worries guys

Thanks for the help

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 2,968

JCD, if he makes the icons OK for his screen they will be too small for the other screen. The answer is a £68 AOC monitor from Amazon for the other monitor. I’ve bought a few of these recently.

I forgot that essential factor!! I was coming from what I did to my setup, but I’ve got my desktop spread over my two screens, one exclusively for email and one for browser.

I suppose Marc could do what I do, when I want two separate browser windows open at the same time, I just flip one over to the other screen, click and hold the tab and swipe it over to the other screen. It all really depends on his work processes.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

There is the thing. If you span your displays you get a frame buffer for each and you can do what you like with it.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

A frame buffer is basically an area of memory.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

At the youth housing charity the support workers have to sometimes show the kids something on their screen. I got them these gas powered monitor arms for £30 (their idea). It enables them to flip the monitor through 180° to face the person sat opposite from them and flip it back again. Only light finger pressure is needed.

Balancing them is easy, there’s a screw hole in the “elbow” allowing you to loosen or tighten the tension. Once the monitor is balanced flipping it doesn’t send it dancing up and down. The cables are hidden behind shrouds so it looks neat too.

Marc Berry
    Participant
    @marc-knuckle

Cheers guys. As they’ve already done the workplace adjustment and put the second screen in I’ll have to work with it now but i really appreciate the suggestions

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!
close-image