Forumite

DVD Player to TV & Humax Freesat box

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

I may have asked something like this before, but here goes.

Sony Bravia 40RD453BU TV – Humax Freesat HDR-1100s 1TB STB – Samsung HW-J250 Soundbar. I would like to connect a HD DVD player (not recorder) to the TV, to play all the DVD’s that I have and cannot watch atm. Humax is connected to TV via ARC HDMI and there is another HD port, 2x USB (one is dedicated to Hdd record) and a SCART. Soundbar is connected to TV  via optical Toslink. Humax has 2x USB ports. Humax rear, TV connections:

Another USB port on the soundbar, all USB is 2.0. I understand that recording to USB from the Humax from USB will give SD recordings. I have also read that a SCART DVD player will produce a better picture, than a USB-cabled player. My intention is to connect the TV directly to a DVD player, either by HDMI or SCART. Will this work? I have confused myself trying to get my head around it, I think.  Any advice gratefully accepted!

Cheers, Bob.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 4,103

As I understand it, USB is storage only, so recording and playback from e.g. a pen drive or hard drive. I think you’ll have to connect through the HDMI sockets. You can get a scart to red, white, and yellow cable ( I’ve gone blank on the name of the connection), but you’ll probably get a lower quality picture.

I haven’t used a soundbar, so I’m not sure how that will affect anything. At a guess though, I’d connect both the Freesat box and DVD player to HDMI, and the sound bar to the optical port on the TV. Essentially, what you’ve got, but adding the DVD player to the spare HDMI.

Participant
    wasbit
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 1,366

Remember that the DVD player outputs only so connect it to the TV & on the TV select the correct source. The Humax doesn’t even need to be turned on because there is no need for any channels.

I know nothing about the quality or sound other than what I can set up on my own systems by reading the manuals & googling.

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Core i7/GA-H55M-UD2H - a Freegle donation
    Rig 2: The 'Dave Laptop Special' HP Elitebook 8440P
    The 'Dave Special' & '43 Special' found new owners but have now been scrapped.

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,463

Thanks guys, clear and concise advice. Ryan, I will go with an HDMI connection, think this will clear your blank – SCART to RGB:

http://tinyurl.com/ybth7v8c

I know that converter, have one somewhere in one of my boxes, used it on my old Panasonic 32″ TV, to play through an older DVD recorder, before I bought an HDMI one. A bit sobering to look back at all the different audio/video stuff I have had over the years!

Wasbit, I will go along with this, thanks: ” Remember that the DVD player outputs only so connect it to the TV & on the TV select the correct source. The Humax doesn’t even need to be turned on because there is no need for any channels. ”

That is what I was originally thinking, but sometimes I overthink things. Buying a DVD player today.

I'm out.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,550

Bob, if you want ‘cheap’ then just connect a usb dvd player to the Bravia link

[Edit] Scrub that, apparently it does not work with PC DVD add-ons.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Thanks but I knew that Ed, had investigated USB players and the Bravia link. This is the player I decided upon:

http://tinyurl.com/y9o9l3rm

I didn’t want a Blu ray player: don’t have any Blu ray discs, HD is fine for us, as we cannot tell the difference now with our fading vision. The Bravia 40RD453 is not in itself a “Smart” TV, but does have an Ethernet port, without the nonsense of manufacturer’s ‘apps’ which don’t work after a year or two. The “All Regions 0 1 2 3 4 5 6” appealed to me, as I have some older DVDs from over the water, which have only been played perhaps twice.

EDIT: the TV also upscales to full HD, we can watch it happen and cannot tell the difference. Takes a couple of seconds, if that. Had this TV about 18 months now and very pleased with it, does what we want for less than a Smart TV.

I'm out.

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,615

What do you mean by HD dvd bob?

You have DVD that is SD, but looks decent, and then you have HD dvd that is now gone (betamax of hi def disks) and blueray that beat HD dvd.

So buy HD dvd do you mean the defunct HD dvd or just DVD. That’s not HD, but as all tvs upscale, (add in the extra 3 pixels), dvds looks more than good enough.

PlayStation 3 is still the best dvd and br player. Also cheap now.

Blueray vs HD dvd

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Blu-ray_vs_HD_DVD

Bluray vs dvd

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001395.htm

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Steve, neither my Gert nor myself can tell the difference now. We are both 70+ and our eyes are no longer able to see a difference. I have visited homes with great TVs and Home Cinema systems, also looked in TV shops at various TVs: they don’t look any better to me than 1080P full HDTV. I have been watching the WC football on this desktop, with a Hauppage DVB-T2 HD tuner card, on my HP VH240a monitor. The picture is great and I can’t tell the difference between that and my neighbour’s 55″ UHD TV. It’s just age and reduced vision: why should I pay for a much more expensive TV, when I get just as much enjoyment out of the set I have?

DVDs I have, were bought or recorded at least a couple of years ago. As you say, the TV upscales to full HD, 1080P. So that is good enough for us and we have no intention of recording any more, that’s why we have the Freesat Humax box, to record from programmes. We just want to be able to play the shelves full of DVDs that we have. So we don’t need Blu ray.

Hope I explained that OK.

I'm out.

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,615

I understand that well, my Doris, can’t tell the difference between sd and hd. When we watch footy on tv I’m in charge of reading the time left. Drive me mad.

I just didn’t get what you ment by HD dvd, as it’s a format that has been dead for about 5 years now. It just never took off. For a about 2 years supermarket’s sold HD dvds along side blueray discs, untill blueray won out.

Now blueray has been superseded with 4k ultra blueray. But they will be a thing, but the physical media space is all but dead.

I’m off in to town later, so I’m going to have a look if supermarkets still sell dvds, or see if they are all Br or HDU BR.

Something I’m totally out the loop with. We do have a dvd/Br player in the form of the PS3. We do have a ps4 but I can’t recall what that plays. Shows how often I put a disk in anything. The last time I personally used a physical disk was 3 or 4 christmas eves ago.

For ever we have always Sat down to a rented kids movie and eat chilli and backed spuds on Xmas eve. I think our local blockbuster closed so we used amazon/Netflix ever since. Actually it may of still been open the first year we streamed.

My in laws only got rid of thier VHS machine, well the 14′ tv video thing, two years ago. But the dvd only lasted an extra year. (Disney VHS collection). So even the in laws are on the streaming wagon (my Netflix account) . If you knew them it would amaze you they got to the party so early.for them it’s super early.

Though it was my then 8 year old that set up Netflix for them.

Participant
    Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 4,103

I just didn’t get what you ment by HD dvd, as it’s a format that has been dead for about 5 years now. It just never took off.

Yeah, sorry about that. HD DVD was doing quite well, until I bought a cheap drive to go with my Xbox 360. Not long after, they practically disappeared ??

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 6,149

I still like physical disks.

This could be because I am a skin flint though . I have let it be known that I still like disks so friends and family offer me the pick of theirs before taking them to the charity shop ?

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Well I have received the DVD Player. Not setting it up yet, as I need to reorg anise all my audio/video/TV components and cabling. Arrived from an Amazon Marketplace company called magicdiscounts and was very securely packed, marked FRAGILE: handle with care. It is quite a large machine and plays almost anything I can throw at it, according to the documentation.

Original link:     http://tinyurl.com/y9o9l3rm

Came with an enormously long flat HDMI cable, long enough to reach across most of the lounge. Registering the player with LG Support, was probably the easiest and quickest online registration I have ever carried out, all done in steps on an impressively efficient website.

I have been reading about HD DVD and how it was killed off. Primarily a contest between Toshiba who marketed it in conjunction with NEC, and Sony/SNE who came out with Blu-ray. As Sony owned the studios and convinced Warner to support Blu-ray and Walmart followed suit by restocking with Blu-ray disks exclusively, there could be only one winner. It cost Toshiba almost $1Billion. Kind of a Japanese mega – business civil war. Reading all of that made me realise how I got hold of the wrong end of the stick about HD DVD. Not for the first time, I was confused by Tech. ?? Doesn’t take much. Anyhow, we are looking forward to playing our DVDs when I set it all up. Together with all the options available via the Humax such as Netflix and OD channels, we should have enough entertainment to see us safely into senility. ??

My Gert is especially looking forward to ” Buying the DVD of that film I wanted to see at the cinema, but never got round to going.”

“Oh yeah, which one, I can check Netflix?”

“Er – can’t remember the name.”                     ” (Sigh)” ??

Wheels, I have a drawer full of all kinds of blank DVD disks. Last time I used a disk, was a Rescue disk for my desktop and Gert’s laptop. I make one of these every 12 months or so.

I'm out.

Participant
    Richard
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 6,522

When we bought the new TV a year or two back I also replaced the old Humax with a new more capable one, added a multifunction DVD plus whatever player and dumped the old VCR at the same time. One load of hassle and it was in place. Apart from an initial test run the DVD has been unused though we do have some historic disks somewhere.

The setup came with a Netflix capability, but I have no desire for a subscription and no one has expressed any ‘must have desires’. It can access the Amazon offering, but I have only ever watched a couple of things when I was laid up. I found their index ‘thing’ darned hard work so gave up. I just cannot be bothered to get excited about films  so lack motivation. I believe some are technically available in 4k but I doubt that would be enough to motivate me to watch a film I do not care about.

I was shocked when the outlaws came round. I set up the TV with internet for the BIL to find out some sports information and more or less left him to it. What shocked me was he was almost inside the TV along with FIL to read the text. I normally sit at the far end of the room and with or without my glasses have no issue I was worried that neither of them should be driving. As for SD, HD or 4k issues, I thought that was an unlikely debate in their company. They did sit back a bit for TV viewing, but only a bit from the screen which is hardly tiny.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.