Forumite

Ethernet problems

Tagged: , ,

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Tippon
    @tippon

I’m having trouble with my onboard network adaptor. I’m plugging the cable in, and everything looks like it’s connected properly, but I don’t get an IP address. I’ve checked that it’s set to use DHCP, and I’ve tried a manual address, but nothing. I’ve tried different cables and ports on the switch with no luck, and I’ve unplugged the cable from the back of the NAS which is working and plugged that into the PC, but it still doesn’t let the PC connect. I’m pretty sure I’ve ruled out anything other than the PC. My wifi is working perfectly.

I’ve disabled and re-enabled the adaptor and updated the drivers. I’ve uninstalled it and let Windows reinstall it too. I’ve tried disabling the Windows firewall too with no joy. The connection status says that it’s connected at 1.0 Gbps but there’s no IPv4 or 6 connectivity. I can’t try a live disc at the moment because I’m in the middle of a huge backup, but is there anything else I can try?

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,287

That is about all you can do. The Live CD will soon tell you if it’s hardware, I have only seen 1 fail in all my time though so my money is on Widows. This year I’ve had several customers with WiFi issues that seem to be down to updates, all are now OK.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,565

It may be your router  that is causing the problem. I have had major issues with BT Homehub routers doing some sort of sneaky update and needing power cycling before they would work correctly once more.

Participant
    Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 4,103

Thanks both :good:

I tried a live disc earlier, Ubuntu Studio, and it wouldn’t connect. I played around with it to make sure I hadn’t missed anything, but no joy. I can’t try Ed’s idea as Ellen’s using the internet for work, so I plugged a spare router in. It’s working perfectly.

I’m going to try connecting the spare router to the switch to give it internet for now, then connect the NAS to it so that at least I can get the backup done. Over wifi it was going to take about a week :wacko:

Obviously not ideal, but either my PSU or storage drive is starting to play up, so I need the backup done sooner rather than later.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Well done Ed.

Bloody BT “Super” Hubs, should be banned. I see EE are providing them as well. I’ve got all my customers off them now.

Participant
    Mark Turner
    @turner74
    Forumite Points: 816

Tippon

Have you tried flushing and renewing your ip followed by a restart I have had this happen in the past the flush and renew has fixed the problem.

Participant
    Tippon
    @tippon

Well done Ed. Bloody BT “Super” Hubs, should be banned. I see EE are providing them as well. I’ve got all my customers off them now.

It’s essentially what the TalkTalk router is. The really frustrating part is, before TT I was on Vodafone, and they gave me the same router. Vodafone’s router had most of the settings available though, whereas the TT router is set up with the bare minimum options, and only a few more if you manage to get into the ‘advanced’ menu.

Mark – I think I did, but I’m not 100% sure now.

At the moment the network and internet are both working through the spare TP-Link Archer D2. I’ve had to disable my wifi, and I can’t access my media system because it’s connected to the TT router, but neither of those are urgent. I’ve got AnyDesk on all my machines if I need to fix anything. Right now I’m backing up to the NAS at a much faster speed, and in the next few days I’m switching to Three Mobile for the home internet. There’s no point in struggling to fix the TT issues now as the Three router may fix them anyway.

Just to make you laugh at the end – I set the TP-Link router up earlier and couldn’t get the internet. I’d plugged a cable from the switch to the router’s WAN port, but it didn’t work. The backup was working so I left it to it. I came back a few hours later and thought I’d try bypassing the switch and plugging the cable directly into the second router. I unplugged the switch cable from the TP-Link and it felt very loose. I pulled it and found out that it wasn’t connected at the other end :wacko:

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,463

Apologies for hijacking this Topic, Ryan!

I have read this link over a couple of days with interest, because I have been having similar problems. Some may recall that I was trying to set up my desktop PC in the spare room of our new pad, 3 rooms and 2 walls away. I wound up using two Netgear adapters and ethernet to the router (in the lounge) and the desktop here in the spare room. The Netgears were crap, but I found 2x TP Link PA-4020 adapters in my bits box, older but worked. OK so far…

Now I have occasional dropouts and the “Unidentified Network” message. Only happens very infrequently, but I am beginning to think my router is the problem, it’s the Plusnet Hub One and I understand it’s a ‘Technocolor’ model. When the ethernet drops out from the adapters, all 3 adapter lights are still green, but no ethernet and the Wireless signal is so poor that it just falls over, although phones and laptop in the lounge carry on at Warp 12.

Using my phone, I checked speeds over 3 days with the system working. In the lounge, 73 Mbps Down, 17 Mbps Up. Taking the phone into the spare room, speeds drop significantly, although I am in direct line through the walls to the router. That convinces me that I need a new router, what does the team think? This would be my choice:

https://tinyurl.com/yacq4c7p

Any advice greatly appreciated guys!

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Next door have a Technicolor Plusnet router. Let’s put it this way, Barbara’s iPad and wireless printer are attached to my WiFi not hers!

Nothing wrong with your choice of router but the AC1200 will serve you just as well.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

I posted back to your last Dave, earlier today. Don’t know what happened to it. :unsure: :scratch:

Thanks for the advice, matches my thoughts. I have ordered the AC 1200.

I'm out.

Participant
    wasbit
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 1,366

I have ordered the AC 1200.

I bought the one Lee was selling. It’ll be interesting to see what you think of it.

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Core i7/GA-H55M-UD2H - a Freegle donation
    Rig 2: The 'Dave Laptop Special' HP Elitebook 8440P
    The 'Dave Special' & '43 Special' found new owners but have now been scrapped.

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Should have it Monday, but appointments may mean I won’t have it working until Tues or Weds. I will let you know the verdict,  @wasbit.

I used a similar model a few years ago and had good service with it. Should have kept it, but gave it to a friend in need. Soft, me.

I'm out.

Participant
    Tippon
    @tippon

So, it turns out it was my switch.

My backups finished earlier today, so tonight I was able to reset the router and check everything again. I disconnected the spare router and plugged everything back into the switch, and the computer kept switching between connected and cable unplugged for about a minute until it settled down, but then only connected at 100Mbps. I realised that I hadn’t tried the cable from the Homeplug directly into the computer, so I tried that. It connected immediately at the Homeplug’s full speed of 100Mbps. I tried a few sockets on the switch and had problems, so I swapped it for an identical one, and everything worked first time.

I feel a bit stupid for not checking it sooner, but I thought I’d ruled it out for some reason. Never mind, it’s fixed now. I’ve just got to wait until Monday to get hold of TT, and apparently wait 30 days because they need notice to shut my account down…

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

It is incredibly rare for a switch to go down, even the cheap ones, and even then they tend to fail totally. It’s the last thing I’d have looked at too.

But the switch is usually the backbone of your network and £50 now gets you a “proper job” TP-Link TL-SG1016D 16-Port Gigabit job. It’s less than £20 more for the smart managed version TL-SG1016DE which gets you into the world of QoS, VLANs and aggregated connections. Mine is now 5 years old and never missed a beat.

Participant
    Tippon
    @tippon

I’ve got about half a dozen switches here now :wacko:

I had three of the Netgears set up in the old house, and when we moved a few years ago, I couldn’t find the box with them in. I bought a few D-Link switches instead and got the current setup in place, and now I’ve lost the last D-Link, but found the Netgears again :unsure:

Depending on how things go when we switch to Three, I may use them to get the network set up properly though. I’ve got homeplugs connecting the different rooms because of the problems with wifi, but the electrical system isn’t great, meaning that sometimes the connection is a bit flaky or slow. The eventual plan is to get everything either into the garage or attic, and run cabling to sockets in every room. With things like Fire Sticks being so much more convenient now, I can move the media server out of the living room then, and possibly heat the garage a bit at the same time.

I’ve been saying that for the last six years though… :cry:

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Not cheap, but Ubiquiti do an In-Wall WiFi 5 PoE Access Point. TP-Link’s Omada AC1200 Wall-Plate Access Point is considerably cheaper at £58 but the Omada controller software looks terribly clunky compared to Ubiquiti’s.

A few of those in strategic locations and you may cure your WiFi issues too. Broadbandbuyer would set them all up for you and give you a free cloud service for a year. It’s only £2.50 a year after that anyway.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

@wasbit:

had a problem setting up everything, mostly Plusnet’s fault, suspect they don’t like me using a new router. However, am impressed immediately: much faster, Wifi reaches much further and I have setup 2x paired Ethernet-connected powerline adapters. And thereby hangs a tale.

Previously, in an attempt to get more juice from the horrible Plusnet ‘Hub One’ router, I fitted 2x Netgear Powerline PL-1000 adapters. All good until one blew its cookies, overheated. Found 2x Tp-Link 3yo adapters, AV 500, fitted, they worked. BUT would not work with my new TP-Link Archer VR 400 router, go figure! I had actually ordered 2x new Netgear’s when the other blew, as a return/replacement. Fitted them, all working.

So the TP-L router will not work with the TP-L adapters, nor will my onboard TP-L network card. Although they both work with the Netgear adapters. :scratch:   But I am quite impressed at initial usage, the webpage is good and there are lots of great features. Missus is happy because I have stopped swearing now me internet is working. :yahoo:

Keeping an eye (and a hand) on the adapter temp’s though…

I'm out.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

That’s odd that the adaptors won’t work with the new router, they just present themselves as Ethernet as far as it’s concerned.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

I thought so too Dave, but at least I can use the more expensive, replacement pass – through Netgear ones now. And they are more capable than the TP Link jobs. If they don’t overheat again. Maybe I had one faulty Netgear item in the first instance until I returned and replaced, I hope so anyway. :whistle:

I'm out.

Participant
    Tippon
    @tippon

Bob, there are updates available for some of the TP-Link homeplugs. The update for my very old 200Mbps adapters apparently fixes some faults with IPv6 and a few other things. It might be worth having a look.

They might need to be connected directly to the computer though, as the update program only seemed to detect the first one in my chain. That could be related to the problems I’ve been having though.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,565

I may soon be getting a full fibre connection. In preparation I had a look at what options I would have for replacing the crappy equipment BT supply, and discovered that I should really use an ‘approved’ VDSL modem/router. (I suppose it makes a degree of sense in that unapproved kit has a slight chance of screwing things up.)

If all this is news to you as well, you may be interested in this list of approved kit. Incidentally if you (say) have Sky or heaven help you, TalkTalk sitting on a BT fibre line then you still need to take a look as they could in theory refuse support. (It is thankfully quite a long list – but no TPLink!)

link

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.