Forumite

Farewell to Dropbox

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Drezha
    @drezha

It had slipped my notice that the free version of Dropbox had been limited to 3 devices until today, when I caught out trying to install it! Turns out that my previous firm still had my Dropbox account linked to my personal account, so the Pro version conferred it’s benefits to my personal account.

I don’t use it for a lot, as I use Resilo Sync to keep my folders in sync, but Dropbox came in useful for quick file sharing, especially between home and work. Looks like it’s finally time to move on.

There may be a few little hangouts – like I think there are some writing apps on the iPad that I would use that wont be able to continue being used, but I’ll have to try and find alternatives.

Looks like a switch to OneDrive it is – seems to work reasonably well, and the entire office is reliant on Teams/Sharepoint/OneDrive at the minute with working from home, so it’s not as bad as it used to be (he says). Whilst I get Office for free through the work deal, I’d probably play £5.99 for the 1TB OneDrive deal and Office deal, rather than the £7.99 Dropbox want!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,540

You have a Synology!

Participant
    Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 4,139

I gave up on Dropbox a few years ago when I found out that it had been renaming my photos.

I moved house and was waiting for the internet to be connected, so I manually copied my phone photos to my computer. When I was reconnected, I noticed that Dropbox was still copying files. When I loked, it had changed the filenames from the phone’s IMGxxxx standard to its own 2015-08-01xxxx date standard. I hadn’t had a reason to check it for ages before that, so I had hundreds of duplicates. I can’t remember exactly what else happened, but the renaming stopped some of the syncing features from working properly, so photos that I’d deleted from the phone were still in the Dropbox folder and their online storage. I ended up having to go through every photo individually to clear out the junk and duplicates.

Participant
    Drezha
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 3,136

You have a Synology!

Dropbox was often a quick drag and drop solution whilst I was at work for syncing quick files (saves signing on to DS online or installing additional software), and saving files from iOS to Dropbox is significantly easier than to DS file (partly because it remembers where I want files). It also linked in with various iOS apps as a default, when iOS didn’t have a file system, so for the cross platform sync, this was needed.

And I’m currently in two minds about replacing the Synology – it does the job of sharing files on the network, but the wife has moved to iCloud storage for backing up photos and I’ve got a Raspberry Pi to offset for items I can’t do on the NAS itself. Short of getting the 218+ or higher, I can’t run Docker on it by looks and for the price of the 218+, I could put together a small mini-itx system. I am about due for a hard drive replacement on the Synology as it’s three years old, so I’m considering my options for changing at the same time.

However, the Synology “just works” and therefore could be of benefit with my free time to tinker about to disappear!

@tippon
    – I used the Dropbox uploader for a while and I switched all my photos to use the same naming scheme, as I ended up quite liking it! At the time however, it didn’t end up messing around with photos I already had.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I have a 218+ now and yes you could build an itx system for that money but getting it working like a Synology? and maintaining it? That’s why I abandoned such things and let Synology do all the hard work. That doesn’t stop me looking at things like open media vault, then I think nah. Leave it alone.

I now run PiHole in a linux VM on the 218+ so the Pi is now spare (I upgraded the ram to 10GB with a single 8GB sodimm). Synology Drive seems to work a lot better than Cloud Station did and I much prefer Moments to Photo Station. The faces / places / scenery sorting works well and is much less of a toy than I thought it would be.

I installed my first customers 218+ last week and on the business side they’re using Synology Drive and Active Backup for Business on the PCs and the VPN server . The family are using all the media apps as well as private and shared storage. All backed up to via C2 and of course it’s all encrypted.

I really wouldn’t want to support something I’d put together myself 😀

Participant
    Drezha
    @drezha

I now run PiHole in a linux VM on the 218+ so the Pi is now spare (I upgraded the ram to 10GB with a single 8GB sodimm). Synology Drive seems to work a lot better than Cloud Station did and I much prefer Moments to Photo Station. The faces / places / scenery sorting works well and is much less of a toy than I thought it would be.

I had a look at that earlier – is that a Docker instance or a full VM? The Docker container looked relatively easy to setup.

I briefly played with Drive and Moments when it first came out but haven’t since. Perhaps it’s time to have another look. Resilo works, though I have recently been seeing sync errors (but I think that’s related to macOS tags and other metadata, rather than actual sync issues).

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

It’s a full VM, haven’t played with docker yet. It’s so light on resources you don’t know it’s there.

Participant
    Drezha
    @drezha

It’s a full VM, haven’t played with docker yet. It’s so light on resources you don’t know it’s there.

I can see that – I guess the biggest resource would be RAM and even then it’s not a huge RAM hog and with 10GB to play with, I can imagine it’s not much of an issue.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.