Forumite

Fibre to the Premises

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Fibre to the Premises 2Tippon
    @tippon

Basically, what should I expect?

I’ve mentioned in some other threads that I’ve been having problems with my FTTC that have been getting worse over time. As far as I’m aware, there’s a problem between the local cabinet (the small green box in the street) and the buildings it serves. I’ve been told that it’s possibly a junction box that floods and causes problems, but it’s never been found or fixed. I’ve got Talktalk investigating, but I’m not going to hold my breath.

I emailed Openreach as I’m fed up of waiting, and they’ve come back and told me that FTTP is available. I can’t check the details with Talktalk, as their site just defaults to my existing contract and won’t show me any upgrades*. BT though list a few options, but this is where I get a bit confused.

As I understand it, FTTP means that I get the headline speed, as the copper line is taken out of the equation, and it’s fibre all the way. BT seem to support this, saying that my speeds would be 150Mb for the 100Mb package, 300 for the 300, and 910 for the 900 package. So far so good. But, they’ve then got a Stay Fast Guarantee, and this gives 100Mb for the 100Mb package, then 150 for the 300, and 455 for the 900, so half for the second two options.

With FTTC and normal broadband, the guarantee is the speed I generally get, so I’m a bit confused. Is this likely to be my speed, or are they just covering their own backs?

*I’ve only just set up a new contract with TT, under the condition that they fix my connection. If they can’t or won’t, I can walk away penalty free.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Fibre to the Premises 3Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,754

I am never sure about these “guaranteed” speeds, marketing fluff I think.

It meant something with ADSL but all fibre? Maybe it gives them some headroom if they have to take bits of kit offline increasing contention.

Participant
    @ricedg

Just looked at my TalkTalk contract and it’s out at the end of this month :yahoo: The 4G trial has fallen on it’s arse after lock down, it’s just not reliable enough. I would imagine our estate is stuffed full of home workers looking at the cars that are parked up 24 / 7 now. I think it will take 5G but God knows when that will be now.

I looked on the BT site and I can get FTTP (that explains all the work they’ve been doing) but I decided that FTTC speeds are fast enough plus I want to make sure I can keep my Draytek router.

The cost difference of >40mbps is now so small I’m going faster, if only to get the quicker upload speeds. I cannot wean the Mrs off the landline (and her family, they all have mobiles!) so I need a calls package.

Ended up with Vodaphone Superfast 2 Extra – 63/20 unlimited everything plus a free Apple TV and a years subscription. The Apple TV didn’t seal the deal it was the cost saving plus faster speeds and I know they have no issues with Openreach approved 3rd party routers – because unlike a lot of others they say so!

There’s also no cost increases plus the end of contract price is only £1 more, unlike a lot of others.

The TT subscription ends on the 31st but Vodaphone can only switch Mon – Fri so the 28th it is. TT have just told me they’ll be charging my 84 pence to leave early. FFS, I’ll be glad to be rid of them. Just working out how much renewing with them would cost was a nightmare, they hide costs like the phone package – which they are quite upfront about doing!

Participant
    Fibre to the Premises 2Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 3,970

I’ll be ringing Talktalk to get this changed. I can’t even see Talktalk’s pricing, they’re hiding behind a phone number, so I can see me cancelling. Three have lost my trust though, as I’ve got a Three broadband contract set up and active at this address, but actually in my father’s house about a mile away, and today, after over a month of questioning why I can’t set up a new contract for any similar postcodes, they’ve told me that broadband isn’t available in this area. No reply since telling them that I’ve already got one account…

I’m quite fancying the Vodafone and Apple TV setup, but I need to have a proper look at what shows are on it that I can’t already get, and what TT will do for me. I’d be happy to stay with them for now if they switch me to FTTP, as it should get rid of all the problems I’ve been having, and will fix them for the future too. Like I say though, the lack of pricing info and having to talk to a sales person puts me right off.

Participant
    @ricedg

Thought I’ll be back to more boxes under the TV, however the Apple TV does Disney, Netflix and Amazon Prime and 4K too.

Even with a brand new “smart” TV it seems separate boxes and remotes are unavoidable.

Participant
    Fibre to the Premises 7JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,203

Even with a brand new “smart” TV it seems separate boxes and remotes are unavoidable.

I think the ‘let down’ of this practise falls to the processing power of smart TV’s.

I have a 3yo Sony smart tv with ( 66Meg fibre ) internet fed to it via a switch. Netflix has its own button on the remote, Prime Video , iPlayer etc, come via apps. Every time you select one of them, there is a waiting process with spinning wheels of doom telling you it’s loading, connecting, etc. It’s a time-consuming frustrating process, compared to the browser experience on my  ( i5 ) PC ( or even my iPad Pro ) – let alone the Sky box experience that seems to be the benchmark for ease of use and smooth transitions from Guide or Planner to watching your choice.

On the browser there are no spinning wheels, no ‘loading’,  just straight into the home menu, click on your choice and straight into the programme, with the option of skipping the re-cap and straight back into watching the programme – all before the TV has finished logging in to your choice of provider.

The whole process needs to be speeded up and simplified, or those boxes under the TV are there to stay for some time yet.

Participant
    Fibre to the Premises 8Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,933

John, I’ll bet that most of the Sony wheel-spinning is due to its internal spyware making its own connection ‘home’. Link

Participant
    @ricedg

My new Panasonic is very fast at Netflix or iPlayer etc, the same as the Mk1 Amazon TV box.

New project for the Pi: internet speed monitor

Intended to properly measure the Three 4G service but tested on the TalkTalk FTTC 40 / 10 which is a lot more up and down than I expected.

Fibre to the Premises 10

Set to poll every 30 minutes, you can set whatever interval you want though. It uses the speedtest.net api, InfluxDB and Grafana to display the data via a browser. Neat.

Participant
    @ricedg

24 hours on TT, set it to every 10 minutes in the end.

Fibre to the Premises 12

The dramatic speed drops are on the hour which makes me think it’s something going on on the Pi rather than TT. Can’t be arsed to work out how to make Cron go off at say 3 minutes past the hour then every 10 minutes.

4G next.

Participant
    @ricedg

Can you spot when I changed over?

Fibre to the Premises 14

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.