Forumite

Flashing Apple Logo

HOME Forums Tech Apple Talk Flashing Apple Logo

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Flashing Apple Logo 2Tippon
    @tippon

My mother bought a refurbished ipad mini from my cousin a while back, and it’s stopped working. I’m not sure what happened, when I ask  I just get the stereotypical parent response of ‘it doesn’t work’ ?. Last night when I plugged it into the mains, it started charging with the empty red battery logo on the screen. After an hour or two, it was still the same so I brought it home. I plugged it in here but didn’t really pay attention, as I was just leaving it overnight to try a longer charge.

Today it’s not doing anything at all unless I plug it into the fast charge port on my USB hub, and then the Apple logo stays on screen for a few seconds, disappears, then repeats. Nothing happens when it’s plugged into a normal USB port, when the power button’s pressed, when power and home are pressed, or if I use itunes while I try any of these.

Any ideas on how to fix it please? Cheers dears :)

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Flashing Apple Logo 3PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,663

Found this, might help.

Participant
    Flashing Apple Logo 4Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,256

An iPad draws 12 watts at 5.1 volts when charging at optimum rate i.e about 2.1 amps. A ‘normal’ USB port is around 0.5 amps +/- a bit. It will recharge an iPad but very s..l…o…w…l…y! The screen flashing for a bit like that is normally a sign that the battery is completely out of juice. Use the high speed charger (2+amps?) and charge it up for four to six hours. Do NOT inspect it for at least four hours as ideally you want to recondition the unintelligent battery controller and kick it back to life. If it still does not switch on I suspect a dead battery.

The life of current iPad batteries is a mere two years, older iPad 2s with original batteries often last longer. If you have to replace a battery Apple charge an obscene £100 – bin it and buy an Amazon Fire if on a bargain offer. I find the screen on the Fire is just as good as that of my iPad2. for reading books etc.

Participant
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 3,769

Thanks both :)

Unfortunately, no joy. The ipad’s charged overnight for two nights now, and it’s only showing the flashing apple. Nothing happens if it’s unplugged, and nothing happens when I press any of the buttons :(

Time to get the tools out then ?

Participant
    @edps

If you can wait, try just switching it on. Ignore the flashing and completely discharge it by leaving it on for a few hours. Then try a 6 hour high speed recharge. If no improvement the battery has definitely turned into a Norwegian Parrot.

Participant
    @tippon

Thanks Ed, but nothing happens when I press the power button. I think the battery’s holding a charge as I’m not getting the red battery icon, and the power button turned the screen on and off when I had the icon too. I may just do a Clarkson, and ‘it it wiv an ‘ammer ?

Participant
    @edps

Try a reset?

Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

I’ve now run out of ideas.

Participant
    @tippon

Yep, done that too and nothing. I’m starting to suspect some kind of dodgy connection inside, where it’s been refurbished. It’s possible that the power button worked when I picked it up, but has become disconnected in the meantime, so I’m ordering one of these to make sure I’ve got the right tools:

https://eustore.ifixit.com/en/Tools/Toolkits/Essential-Electronics-Toolkit.html?force_sid=957adb84da93895909e9d5db79dcb10c&cur=1&lang=1

Participant
    @edps

“My mother bought a refurbished ipad mini from my cousin a while back”

TBH that suggests the battery rather than the refurbisher. It IS possible to do a diy replacement, but I have never done it being put off by the iFixit difficulty bar! link

Fiddling with the switch has a similar iFixit difficulty rating.

Unfortunately the iPad mini has always had a poor diy rating.

Flashing Apple Logo 11Anonymous
    Forumite Points: 0

On my Nexus 5 I had an issue where the power button broke, so that it effectively shorted the button. The phone wouldn’t boot as it thought I was holding the power button down so about ten seconds into the boot process it thought I wanted it to switch off.

It could be a similar thing?

Have you tried a different cable?

Participant
    Flashing Apple Logo 12Chewey
    @chewey
    Forumite Points: 69

Follow the steps in this tutorial. It should help you fixed the problem.

Participant
    @tippon

Thanks Mark, but I’ve tried that too :(

FS: Apologies for not replying sooner. The only other cable I’ve got has broken ? I’ll have to pick up another on the weekend. I’m tempted to just dig the hammer out of the garage ?

Participant
    Flashing Apple Logo 14Basmmert
    @basmmert
    Forumite Points: 6

TBH ,you are not the only one . this is a common problem for everyone , i tried to restart my iPhone to solve the problem, but i am not all sure of success,

Participant
    Flashing Apple Logo 14Basmmert
    @basmmert
    Forumite Points: 6

@ Mark Anderson

I am not sure about your method , i did as you said , but i’m still stuck in the apple logo , i can’t cut off the power,

Here is a way that my friend recommended  , but i am hesitant,i don’t know if it works for me

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.