Flickr

HOME Forums TV, Film and Music Photography Flickr

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by blacklion1725 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725

Don’t think this has been posted – the Flickr 1 TB freebie is all over in a couple of days. Suppose we all knew it was coming but a shame anyway. The Google unlimited (with a reduction in size but not noticeable quality) and OneDrive will be the way for me now. I did like Flickr – but probably not commercially sustainable.

Spread the love
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,291

You can still upload 1,000 photos on the free account, so I’m tempted to keep using it, but in the way they describe in the post, and join in the community. I’ve only used camera based photography forums in the past, so it might be a nice change 🙂

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,977

First I’ve hear of this. Will need to look it to it ASAP.

In regards to google photos, and it’s free storage. I mostly can see a difference however for the sake of future frothing  anything over the threshold (12 or 15mpx) I upload in full res.

Only because the day Liverpool bright on the euro Cup in 2005, the pictures I took that day on a crappy phone was awful then and now basically binable!

So now i take pics in the best res  And film in the highest quality. Which my dslr is 24mpx, my phone 40mpx(and 10 depending on what I’m doing) and film in 4k. Only so it all looks decent in 2050.

And just pay Google about £3 a month to story it and flikr nothing. I wonder where it went wrong for flikr…

The Duke
    @sgb101

The paid service seems a bit rich for me, give ti’s my back up to my back up.

@ricedg, @drezha Given its a dump of my files I never vist, would Amazon glazure do this for pennies? Have sub 10gb of photos, and the trickle up is probably a few Mb a week? Tiny amounts. In the summer maybe 500mb if I’ve been on my hols.

If so, could I set up an ifttt script to auto send new Google photos to amazon? I can research thst if you don’t know.

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 670

I don’t think IFTTT will upload to Amazon Glacier. Cost will be minimal though – both for that or something like Backblaze. You can use something like Arq to send it to there. Backblaze B2 doesn’t have any upload fees.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Cheers. Chris ill look it that too. I did sign up earlier to amazon’s glacier (free) and oh may, some learning is needed.

Like alot, lots of options, I just didn’t recognise the words on any of them lol. There is many video tutorial.

I’ll look at backblaze and Arc too. 👍

Whatever I do, I think I’ll just leave the flikr pics in place. And download a zip file off Google photos, and upload that to water new service (if possible), then find an automated way to upload from Google to wherever. Probably using a 3rd party inbetween.

Im Sure there must be a way, to set up and forget.

The Duke
    @sgb101

I’m going off the auto upload option tbh. As I like to organise my pictures into albums in the goope photos app, usally the day I take them.

Ive just looked in the ES file manger  I’ve used for year, and there is an option to upload to an S3 bucket.

So I can arrange my album in gphotos, then down that set of pics (album) as a zip, remane it 2018-Dec-Xmas (for example) then drop the zip file into the S3 bucket folder with ES explorer.

I just read I need to change the S3 bucket to from S3 to 1 day inactivity to switch to Glacier, and the price will be next to nothing.

Does that sound about right? Or Atleast like it would work?

From a pc I could use filzilla to do upload it seems too.

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha

There’s a small fee for uploading, the big cost for Galcier comes if you ever need to download the data.

In the past, I’ve used S3 Browser  and been very impressed. At the time, I was using Amazon services to run out fire models – the quickest and cheapest method of getting the large amounts of data off the EC2 instances was to copy it to Amazon S3 using S3 Browser, turn off the EC2 instance and then download the data as required from S3.

They make FastGlacier as well which is purely to upload directly to S3. I think it supports staggered downloads to prevent large fees. I beleive Arq does as well but I never used Arq for S3 backup (it was backing up to SFTP).

Part of the reason I’d ben investigating Backblaze B2 was that it’s more straight forward in it’s pricing structure, charging for just GB’s stored, rather than uploads and downloads.

The Duke
    @sgb101

I need to do a little more digging. But.for my use, I’m hoping I’ll never have to download the files. Just a few mb up a month. Probably a gig or two, over a year.

I’ll still be using Google photos and my main stariage, view and share platform. The who Amazon thing thing isn’t for the faint harted. There is alot of stuff going on in there.

You need to be relative tech savy just to understand that you need to learn some new skills just to use it. Any normal person would open it, and close it within 30 seconds.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,584

I agree Glacier’s pricing is complicated, Backblaze looks easier. As I only need this sort of service for Synology backup I’m using Synology’s C2 at a tenner a year and a doddle to use with Hyperbackup.

You can use Cyberduck or Filezilla Pro to manage the transfers to S3 buckets as well as those Drez mentioned.

Personally I have an automatic sync set up between my Google photos and my Synology server. Every now and again I’ll go in and move them into Synology’s Photo Station and share them from there. Or you can install DS Photo on your phone and have them automatically sent to Photo Station in the same way Google Photos work. Unlike Google more than one person can upload to Photo Station so you can have all the families photos in one place.

A single bay DS119j is £99 and a 1TB Toshiba P300 is £37 (3TB £66) then that’s it. No more expense and a lot more things you can do.

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha

Personally I have an automatic sync set up between my Google photos and my Synology server.

Didn’t realise I could do that. At the minute, my phone (my primary camera) automatically uploads to Google Photos as a backup and whilst I used to use DS Photo, I switched to using PhotoSync. Does the same job, but can upload to the NAS (and more) a but also supports renaming the photos and placing in to YY/MM folders in the desitnation.

I also use the Synology backup service, but think I’ve got the 300GB version as I backup documents as well for me and my wifes family and I was pushing 80GB when I bought it.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Google help here

See your Google Photos folder
    On your computer, go to drive.google.com.
    Click Settings Settings and then Settings.
    Next to “Create a Google Photos folder,” turn on Automatically put your Google Photos into a folder in My Drive.

On the Synology – Cloud Sync, Create a new Cloud Provider, Google.

Do the sign in to Google bit then choose the local path (folder on the NaS) and remote path (Google Photos folder) Download Remote Changes Only (so Google Photos remains unchanged by anything you do on the NAS).

Then set a schedule and a polling period. I set mine to daily as that gives me time to delete anything unwanted as I tend to take multiple shots of things like licence numbers.

The Duke
    @sgb101

This is all great info.

I’m sure now dave Google allows you to have a family account for picture so more than on account can send pics to whoever owns the ‘primary account’ . I looked into a when it first launched, but you basically have to upload everything, and no one wants every photo  uploading form there phone to a library many can see.

I could see it ending in disaster. So for good reason I didn’t turn that on. Usally if we are at an place or occasion, when we get home ill start a new album (2019 Jan fair) then sabre it with the wife, then she drops her decent photo from the day into said album. So then we both have access.

When she does stuff and I’m not there she will share the album and me vice veice versa.

It’s nice to see you have a way of auto sending your photos back to symbology in your case, as that at least tells me it’s an option that can be done.

Ive been very happy with my set up for years, I’ve not thought about photo back ups for years. Flikr I love, but £8 per month, is too steap, for somthing I use are a back up to my back up, so don’t use any features..

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Synology’s Disk Station o/s (it’s Linux underneath) and free apps are fantastic at drawing everything from everywhere into one place. You can then share it all back out again very securely. Photo Station has the same sort of album function as Google Photos and the associated Moments app adds face and place recognition.

Cloud Sync knows about 19 different Cloud providers and it’s not an all or nothing affair. You can synchronise specific folders in the Cloud with specific folders on the NAS. In the case of Google it’ll even convert online documents to their Microsoft equivalents automatically.

Hyper Backup can use Google Drive, Amazon Drive, Azure, rsync and S3 compatible services as targets for encrypted backups as well as attached USB drives and other Synology servers. 256 level versioning , data deduplication and integrity checking is built in.

Even the cheapest chassis has this capability. I keep on finding new uses for them, the latest is a secure 2 way file portal for businesses.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,291

I switched to using PhotoSync. Does the same job, but can upload to the NAS (and more) a but also supports renaming the photos and placing in to YY/MM folders in the desitnation.

That’s a nice find, thanks 🙂

Could be really handy with the Flashair support too. I don’t use my DSLR much because I always forget to transfer the photos, so I’ll definitely be trying this out 🙂

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 859

Personally I have an automatic sync set up between my Google photos and my Synology server.

Didn’t realise I could do that. At the minute, my phone (my primary camera) automatically uploads to Google Photos as a backup and whilst I used to use DS Photo, I switched to using PhotoSync. Does the same job, but can upload to the NAS (and more) a but also supports renaming the photos and placing in to YY/MM folders in the desitnation. I also use the Synology backup service, but think I’ve got the 300GB version as I backup documents as well for me and my wifes family and I was pushing 80GB when I bought it.

That looks like it could be very useful post-Flickr – cheers.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love