Forumite

Floods

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Floods 2Ed P
    @edps

I hope all forumites are ok. I was used to the huge Usk and Wye floods of my childhood, but I was somewhat shocked when friends told me that floods in Cardiff stopped them getting home. The TV clips then underlined just how hard the Welsh valleys were hit.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Floods 3PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,820

Yes Ed, just seen some photos from a mate on Instagram and the Taff is close to bursting it’s banks in Cardiff, it has in the Castle grounds, the Taff is about a mile away from me as the crow flies.

The Ely is about a mile the other way.

The flood gates on the barrage are apparently fully open. They’ll need to be.

I’ll see if I can get home later, at mum’s on a fair sized hill ATM.

🙄

Participant
    Floods 4Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,677

As bad as it ever gets in Wembley, my Mum’s garden this morning.

Flood

Participant
    Floods 2Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,549

Graham, it looks great for growing rice!

Participant
    Floods 6Jukebox
    @jukebox
    Forumite Points: 485

I think the picture says it all! Will be glad when I can get the grass cut.

Floods 7Floods 8Floods 9

Participant
    Floods 10Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,572

South road out of Wadebridge

Floods 11

Participant
    Floods 12Les.
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 1,719

Jukebox, yes, those b*ggers are back. I saw a couple this morning. Within a couple of weeks there will be at least 40 of them just below us, mating etc before they go quiet (the ducks anyway, drakes remain a nuisance). There is a wet patch just above and behind me, into which they will go “paddling” (no, sorry PUDDLING is the correct term) and black sticky goo will run down and block my drains with what I refer to as “duck jelly”. It has given me major problems these last 20+ years, it took me until about 8 years ago to fully recognise the problem. I chase them away on sight now. Les.

Les.

Participant
    Floods 13Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,316

A large, undoctored Tomcat is useful in those situations. Or an aggressive little Jack Russel, which has left from next door now my neighbour has fallen from his perch. Yet another old buddy gone. Soon we will be off to live where the neighbours do not perish at such a great rate.

Sorry for all those here and elsewhere in the UK with flooding and all other weather problems. All we have had is wind and rain, just one day of Tropical downpours and the rest is steadily falling. Worst I experienced was having to chase mine and neighbour’s wheely bin down the Close at daft 0’clock in the am, with Ceira blowing me after them. Dressed in PJ’s and a dressing gown, neither of which were waterproof. Bins have lived against the house walls since, just released them again to be emptied tomorrow at some other unholy hour.

Plenty of frogs in the garden though, and an increase in the spider count lately. Escaping frogs and rain, no doubt.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    Floods 14Richard
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 6,517

The patio table was moved last night, which surprised us, as it is a cast aluminium one and it moved in the reverse direction to the recorded wind.

A few trees have been damaged, though none fell. A twenty foot or more piece was detached from the top of one. I saw it when we went out and commented that it was far  from safe, as it was hanging over the main road, up 40 feet or more. When we returned the fire brigade were on its case and an hour or two later it was gone.

We have been mighty lucky in our area, things are really rough for many people who will be out of their houses for a long time and without transport to, by the look of the cars trying to become submarines – that does not end well.

I am not looking forward to a long hack to York on Tuesday With dodgy roads, daft motorways and dodgy weather plus other issues it will be a long trip. At least I will be sat down; it is the standing and walking that are a challenge.

Participant
    Floods 15keith with the teef
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 2,502

I live on one of the higher points of Leicestershire with no rivers close by, but alot of the local lanes where I live was flooded as diches could not handle the water.

Floods 16

Participant
    Floods 13Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

That’s bad news for Lincolnshire Graham, as most of the East Midlands runoff drains through Lincs to the sea. Probably why the Land Drainage Board has been so busy in the last few months. Diking and ditching has gone deep, but the main dykes are all perilously full. I am waiting for the current bad stuff to stop (if ever!) and will go on one of my County Drives to check out what I can.

I'm out.

Participant
    Floods 18D-Dan
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 2,592

I can’t comment. Leanne called me on Saturday from Newport, with tales of floods and trees flying all over the place.

Meanwhile, in Warrington, I was looking at a clear blue sky and trees shifting gently in the breeze. She wasn’t happy about me pointing that out. Dunno why?

Arch Linux, on a Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 5 (yes -5) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1070 8GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Participant
    Floods 19The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,384

All seems OK on the north Wales coast. Tbh the winds never sounded as sting as they was a few weeks ago.

Though we did have a bit of water blow up under our old slate roof. But no real damage here.

Participant
    Floods 13Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

This morning the lady across the street had a visit from workmen replacing ridge tiles on her roof, blown off last night. It would be this lady, she is almost immobile and doesn’t get out unless one of us takes her. We take turns to give her a break, which is what we have all done over the years. We will miss that spirit, but some of the latest incomers do not share it. This lady is very cheerful in all her problems, always smiling. She takes our parcels if we are out, so I made her a sign that says “PLEASE RING AND WAIT: takes me time to get to the door!” She always checks ID before opening the door.

Every now and again we buy her fruit or flowers.

I'm out.

Participant
    Floods 3PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,820

My gym overlooks the River Taff and that had caused devastation and misery further up it’s course.

Today there was a boat collecting flotsam in it’s ‘mouth’, nothing unusual in that, it does it regularly but today it had a full raft of wood and shite in front of it.  It was having trouble pushing it all.

No idea where it was going with it as there’s a council slipway across the road and I thought it would have parked at least some of it there for collection.

More rain warnings for tomorrow and Thursday.

Participant
    Floods 2Ed P
    @edps

Lots of vids on line showing floods in the border areas.

link

Participant
    Floods 23Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 3,882

It’s been interesting up here…

We got home on Saturday just before the worst of the rain came, and one of the two roads into the valley from one side was flooded. Not long after we got home, the other one flooded, but this one was the road through a village and flooded lots of houses. The river burst its banks a few streets away from us and flooded another bypass and major route at about the same time, and several other roads were locked and flooded.

We were lucky because we’re on a hill, but there have been lots of people evacuated up here, and the weather warning was changed to red – a serious risk to life.

Pontypridd, the nearest big town, was underwater, and there has even been at least one major landslide, and roads collapsing.

For once I’m happy to be living on a big hill.

Participant
    Floods 2Ed P
    @edps

Sounds like your house has good Feng Shui!

When I lived in Asia my Chinese friends spent a fortune on Feng Shui carp and would not do anything major until the local Feng Shui ‘priest’ pronounced it was OK. Much of it was utter rubbish but just like many religious dietary diktats much of it was based on observation and common sense.,

The one I liked best was that demons only travelled in straight lines (your front door must have a step to trip up demons). The other was mirrors – put a mirror near your doorway as the demon will see his reflection and be scared off! Go to any Chinese house and there will be little/big mirrors everywhere just in case!

Participant
    Floods 13Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

In the village we have been lucky, but I believe the lower part of Louth is in danger again, from the River Lud. We will not be moving there! Our next place is away from there,still a low area but well protected. And we can always move up a floor to No.1 grandson!

Lincoln is apparently flooding around Brayford Pool: usual problem, neglecting to dredge.

I'm out.

Participant
    Floods 13Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Well our luck ran out today. The day began with sunshine, so SWMBO and I had to do a food shop, as the car is being serviced tomorrow and it may be all day. Pads all round, I think and the wind noise from the left (near) side has become horrendous over 50 mph. Think it might need new aperture seals, plus the bungs have fallen from the hatchback door and it drips water into the car when opened. And the mpg indicator is currently reading anywhere between zero and 999 mpg, changing every second.

We managed to get well away from the car in Louth when the heavens opened. Got the town stuff and also got absolutely drenched. So went home, had lunch and dried off before going back for the staples at Morrisons. I last saw rain like that in Sarawak I think, it just kept pouring down. The happiest guy I saw in Louth was just walking along, dressed in shorts, T-shirt and sandals. There are more characters in the town of Louth than anywhere else I believe.

The lowest part of Louth is by the River Lud and the long street that is Northgate was a river itself, over the kerbs. Ducks everywhere, as the Lud is topping out and that is where they live.

I'm out.

Participant
    Floods 14Richard
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 6,517

Our home area has been fine, we have just been up to York on Tuesday and back today. The main thing locally is the number of affected fences and trees with either limbs messed up or the whole, in most cases the whole rotten thing coming down. The floods we saw both travelling and in York were significant. In short lots of water, a bit of it in rivers. Since the passable roads were well above flood level we did not see much of the real impact. In York whole stretches were barred with locked gate keeping people out. It was only when you viewed it from a safe distance that you realised that trees rarely grown out of the middle or rivers, or that few lamp posts are similarly embedded in flowing water. Many rivers were perhaps quarter of a mile wide, some far wider It is clearly going to be a grim year for agriculture and probable just as bad or worse for many business and residential sufferers. The news is continuing heavy rain, an encounter of the darned awful kind we ran into during our return today.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.