Forumite

HOME Forums Other Stuff Forumite

This topic contains 43 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Richard 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree

Well first of it’s gone very quiet over the past day or two, as the forum broken? I was watching this today, as something like this happened to me, Hold on, I can here an odd noise coming over the garden fence.

Any how, I hope all had a Merry Christmas and have plenty of reserve to get you through the new year. I think Ill need a prime now delivery of beer tomorrow to get me over the line. Saying that I have only had a few Morrison own beer since last Friday. It’s been a stinker of Christmas here. If something could go wrong it as has gone wrong “In Style”. Maybe I am getting old but this year it’s been like a long week that will never end. Any how 😀 , “Chin Chin”, I picked that up from the new Poiret on BBC “abc murders”.

It’s that time of the year again were I do some major changes to forumite. I can not actually remember if this is the second or third birthday of forumite coming up but none the less I am doing very little. Just a few fixes, remove a few things not used and so on. Poor Keith with the teeth keeps getting blocked by the country blocking even though is IP is UK so that’s on my to do list. Ill be removing the reviews sections as no one has used it. I may remove the slide login and go back to a standard login page but not 100 % on that at the moment. None the less, minus a few glitches she has not done to bad this year.

A few things I do want to do through the year if it all possible are:

Help my local cat rescue out some how, not sure how yet but it wont effect anyone here.

One thing I have been getting a lot of is businesses wanting links from forumite to there own website with an offer of money or link exchange. Mostly these businesses have been of no interest to me and I very doubt they would have interested anyone here. With forumite being a nice, clean none spam website, links to others websites can help push them up the google ladder. So it got me thinking………

I may create on the home page a space for 20 or so businesses from the UK to advertise each month. But! they will not be paying by cash. Instead they can pay by creating a blog post in there particular field of business. Plumber, Gardner, cook and so on. Anything that could be useful or interesting to read. Anyhow I’ll look at putting some feelers out next year on that one.

Other than that there will be little changes around here unless I get the itch 🙂

Some people may remember that I asked for colour combos for a project through the year. Well I settled on Ubuntu colours. That project is still ongoing but I do want that finished before new years “Very Unlikely if not Impossible” .

I have not much more to say, my head feels like its full of fluff and everything is at a distance, I think I need a chill day. None the less…………………………………………………

HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Spread the love
Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Replies

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,509

Happy new year Lee,(and all formites) , I’m with you on it feeling like one massive long week. All the days are blending into one.

It probably doesn’t help that never do anything for newyear either.

Though the festive footy has been excellent.

Also a big thankyou to you Lee for keeping this place going. 🍺

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 1,230

More likely Forumites getting over being nearly broken by the pace of everything around Christmas – whether that be the need to get presents for all or making preparation to be invaded by the family.

I know I’ve been chillin’ for the last few days.😀😎

Ref the businesses, I very rarely get sight of the Home page except when I need to Login after a site  ‘adjustment’. I sit with the Latest Replies page open on a tab and refresh it through the day. From my limited point of view, make what you can from them as I won’t be seeing much of them anyway – unless they turn out to be very interesting Blogs!!😀

Regarding the “country blocking”  – which I only came up against when I let Kaspersky Secure Connection look after my browsing – the site thought I was logging in from Amsterdam!! Needless to say I gave KSN the elbow. Is there a way to whitelist existing members even if they VPN’d or proxy’d their way onto the site?? Something I know nothing about so could well be talking out my ass!!

Whichever way anything goes, thanks Lee for overseeing the site over the last year, it takes a lot of effort behind the scenes and I, for one, am truly grateful the old crowd still has a place to congregate and be together.

Something on my New Years to do list is to Donate to the “Keep it Going” fund and would humbly remind others that do it periodically like myself, that time has come around again.

Christmas is behind us now – apart from the headache/hangover and the decs, so all the best for 2019 to everyone here, and of course, their loved ones.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 2,012

Big thanks to Lee for his work.

As for the slowness on here recently it’s just that time of year. I’ve been totally knackered for almost 2 weeks, spent loads of £ and I’m dreading tomorrow night. Ear plugs and a bit of booze and bed.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,104

Adding my thanks to Lee for giving us all a Bolt Hole/Conversation Corner/ Debating Society. With some great Device Advice on the side from some knowledgeable people who share their knowledge and experience. Tha’s Bratfuds Best, Lee!

Just a thought brought up by BL‘s mention of Donations: I made out a small monthly DD to Forumite. Personal choice of course, but even a small amount helps more, especially if it’s regular and soon mounts up.

I have chilled out today after a lot of walking since coming out of hospital, feel good but suffering from chocolate and mince pie (with double cream) excess consumption. Got loads to do:

Chase up PPI – fit Dashcam – setup new record deck pressie – setup new wireless printer. Next Saturday big family party for eldest grandson’s 25th. What a long way this young man has come, for an Aspergers lad, now with a great job and an executive apartment. Family will embarrass him as usual, but he is safe amongst us and knows it.

Happy New Year everyone, Forumite is a safe Haven!

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,687

Funnily enough I’ve been meaning to ask you if you wanted reviews and was going to suggest that members review their Xmas presents.

My timing’s awful these days 😂

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 1,174

I’m not a fan of Christmas, in that I avoid it like the plague. I arrived home on Sunday and never ventured outdoors until Thursday.

However, I’m an adult, and so tomorrow is my night (even though NY was originally March 25), and in that spirit, I will, in advance, wish you all a happy New Year.

Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPis - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Only ever been out as an adult 3 or 4 times on new years. Never liked it at all. Last time I got bottled twice in Warrington. Sigh.

As for reviews of  Xmas gifts, I got new thermals for trh footy. They kept me worm on boxing day. Other than that it was vouchers and smellies. So nothing at all to review.

Tomorrow I’ll be doing the same thing we always do (bar a few seasons ago when we went the footy on NE), which is watch a film, eat a tack away, then watch the London fireworks on TV. Then bed.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

Only ever been out as an adult 3 or 4 times on new years. Never liked it at all. Last time I got bottled twice in Warrington. Sigh.

Don’t say that. My fourth NY in Warrington tonight and never had any problems. Mind you, I avoid Bridge Street year round. Is that, perhaps, where you went wrong?

Nevertheless, it’ll be the 9 Gallon for me 🙂

Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPis - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    Forumite Points: 1,350

@tippon I think it’s time to go. It’s just one more thing to go wrong when it’s not even being used so i’ll trim it out.

@sgb101 The fireworks are the only thing I really look forward to at this time of the year. I got a look ch4 at the piddly motor that will ring big ben in. It doe’s it’s job for now. Things seem to have gone from bad to worse since they started dismantling big ben, Just a thought 🙂

@jayceedee No, it block’s by country I.P only. Sometime’s it gets it wrong. So if you have VPN with say a Trump IP then your out! I’ll be looking at trying something different at a later date.

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Points: 819

Personally can’t see what all the fuss is about NY Eve / Day – worked most of the NY Eves in my 30 years in the police – result on the following morning – bad heads, more debt – results – same bills different year number – that’s all.

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

The Duke
    @sgb101

Don’t say that. My fourth NY in Warrington tonight and never had any problems. Mind you, I avoid Bridge Street year round. Is that, perhaps, where you went wrong? Nevertheless, it’ll be the 9 Gallon for me 🙂

Yes, but this was in the day of Mr Smiths might club, that we use to go quite often. Whe we was young. Trackie and cap nights on a Tuesday iirc. Lol. Although the once dent was in a pub further up bridge Street.

To top the night off, our driver  got pulled over in penketh, so he got his own lift, and we had to get a taxi.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Personally can’t see what all the fuss is about NY Eve / Day – worked most of the NY Eves in my 30 years in the police – result on the following morning – bad heads, more debt – results – same bills different year number – that’s all.

I don’t like it, mainly cos, I’d go my regular anyway if I did go out. I go their cos I like the prople in there. The issue is its full of allsorts who don’t usally go out, taxis cost a fortune, A lot of nornal pubs decided to charge for entry, and there’s up the cost.

Not to mention, people you don’t like, or don’t like you, all have to pretend.

I’m not one who likes compulsory planned fun, so we stay in, and watch films. Given we don’t have live TV, it’s a rare occasion we make an effort to sit down together and watch something as a family. It’s Xmas eve and nye, So it’s nice.

Well it means sitting through some girly Disney type film, but still it’s nice.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Lee – What’s a trump ip? Have you blacklisted the Whitehouse lol?

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

Yes, but this was in the day of Mr Smiths might club, that we use to go quite often. Whe we was young. Trackie and cap nights on a Tuesday iirc. Lol. Although the once dent was in a pub further up bridge Street,

Before my time (I’ve only been in Warrington for 3 years), and it burned down, did it not? And the old dude that was famous there died last year, so old history (for a New Town) now.

Bridge Street on a Friday or Saturday particularly is pretty much a “don’t go if you don’t want a fight” place now, though fortunately, my tastes are somewhat different than Bridge Street can offer.

I was out in Grapenhall on Friday with a bunch of blokes. No aggro, no trouble, just a friendly night (day – we started at 14:00) out. Of course, Grapenhall is where the posh people live.

The Duke
    @sgb101

All town centres are similar.you have all the ‘competing’ estates with only one main place to congragate at weekends.

Warrington Centre, Especally smiths, was always rough come closing time. I once had a fight in a back of a taxi cab, as a pair of lads thought they could jump in and tell me and my mate to get out. Hammered them we did, but then the taxi man just looked at us, and said, you ain’t getting a lift either now.

We tried to argue the fact it want our fault, but he was more concerned about getting his cab cleaned out before the blood dried.

Half the reason I stopped going clubbing, was the issues at the end the nights.

Proper night clubs like the cream was alwways fun, and rearly issues, probably as half was stoned and the other on excacty, but your run of the mill nigh spots, full of coke and booze, was alway a re ipy for distster. Especally in towns with only one focal point.

Where I live now, the closest night spot is Rhyl, and the place is a no go after midnight. For years I’d pick my kids up at rhyl  bustation at 00:10  as they got off the last bus from work, and the amount of police all parked in the bus station, you’d thing an invation was about to kick off.

The first few times I pulled up, I’d get questioned about why I’m there, they check the car, and give me a breathalyser. But then they knew who I was and give me a nod.

In other news, I just nipped into tesco for some bits, and OMG they are open till 7, then re open at 10am, it was mayhem.

I had a coverarion with a 80 plus year old women about a pie, she said it was great, so I said I’d try two. I followed it up with I’ll find you if theyre not (jokingly of course) Her reply was you will have to be quick, I’m old you know. I love a dark sense of humour.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Staying in ourselves, trying to keep my Gert awake after 11 is a bit of an ordeal though. I will make an “Irish” about 11:30: Irish coffee, made with a healthy slug of Jamiesons proper Whiskey over a teaspoon of sugar and 2 teaspoons of coffee, in the correct tall glasses. Topped with a very careful pour of double cream, so as not to let the cream dissolve, just top it off. Lovely!

We have not been out on NYE for a good few years, like Steve I gave up seeing the point some time ago. Always some drunken idiots wanting to fight the world, would never do it without some Dutch courage.

I remember the great NYE nights we used to have back in my old Notts village at the Miner’s Welfare, before the pit closed and the place went downhill. Really enjoyable nights, anyone starting trouble was out of the door and barred for 6 months. Any more trouble at a later date, resulted in a Life Ban. Everyone knew each other, everyone danced with anyone. “Auld Lang Syne” was epic, hundreds linking arms, singing our heads off. Everybody kissing whoever would kiss back. Ended the night with a face full of lippy!

All gone now.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon

I used to love new year’s eve, but I worked in a nightclub at the time. We were a proper little back alley rock club, and the customers were mostly regulars. By the time new years came around, the students were either home for the holidays, or had learned that starting fights got you nowhere fast.

The pub we’re ending up in tonight is very similar, so it should be a good night. It’s got a reputation as being rough and full of bikers, but realistically, the reputation keeps the dickheads out. It should be a good night away from the town centre 😃

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 2,012

Ryan, not Metros. Used to get chucked out of there most weekends, along with some now famous mates.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Our pub/restaurant is mostly restaurant now and does not have enough space to rotate a feline, will be closed to all but family, so a night out there is out of the question and I wouldn’t fancy it anyway.

I now recall that we did spend one NYE out here in Lincs: Mablethorpe 2001, and had a brilliant night out at a hotel which is now mostly a Gift shop. Returning to the B&B, I pulled a drunk woman out of Queen’s Park Lake: she was convinced she was drowning in about 3 feet of water. Got me soaked, had to refortify myself at the B&B, which partied until 5 am or so. Funniest memory of that was several women trying to sing “I will survive” into the Karaoke mike and getting the words mixed up. Missus and I were crying with laughter: apparently the ‘lead singer’ had recently got divorced, probably on the grounds of being Tone Deaf. Landlady let all guests sleep until 3 pm, which was nice considering state of guests’ health. And landlady’s.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon

Ryan, not Metros. Used to get chucked out of there most weekends, along with some now famous mates.

Yep 😆

Not big fans of some of your mates though, if it was them. A few of them came in around the time that they were getting famous, and decided to play up to it. They threw a heavy glass ashtray at the bar staff and started a fight with the door staff. They came off worse (not surprising when less than half a dozen of them tried to take on about a dozen staff plus a few regulars 😯 ), and went to the police. We later found out that they’d had someone filming at the end of the street, and doctored the footage to make it look like they’d been jumped.

I never got the names of the people involved, but the rumour afterwards was that the most well known one came in with some friends and hangers on, and it sounds like some of them tried to ‘audition’ for the show. I didn’t know who they were at the time, so obviously didn’t recognise them, but I imagine that the cast had some trouble getting into clubs for a while afterwards, especially as there were only two firms running the doors at the time 😖

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love