Forumite

HOME Forums Other Stuff Forumite

This topic contains 43 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Richard 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree

Well first of it’s gone very quiet over the past day or two, as the forum broken? I was watching this today, as something like this happened to me, Hold on, I can here an odd noise coming over the garden fence.

Any how, I hope all had a Merry Christmas and have plenty of reserve to get you through the new year. I think Ill need a prime now delivery of beer tomorrow to get me over the line. Saying that I have only had a few Morrison own beer since last Friday. It’s been a stinker of Christmas here. If something could go wrong it as has gone wrong “In Style”. Maybe I am getting old but this year it’s been like a long week that will never end. Any how 😀 , “Chin Chin”, I picked that up from the new Poiret on BBC “abc murders”.

It’s that time of the year again were I do some major changes to forumite. I can not actually remember if this is the second or third birthday of forumite coming up but none the less I am doing very little. Just a few fixes, remove a few things not used and so on. Poor Keith with the teeth keeps getting blocked by the country blocking even though is IP is UK so that’s on my to do list. Ill be removing the reviews sections as no one has used it. I may remove the slide login and go back to a standard login page but not 100 % on that at the moment. None the less, minus a few glitches she has not done to bad this year.

A few things I do want to do through the year if it all possible are:

Help my local cat rescue out some how, not sure how yet but it wont effect anyone here.

One thing I have been getting a lot of is businesses wanting links from forumite to there own website with an offer of money or link exchange. Mostly these businesses have been of no interest to me and I very doubt they would have interested anyone here. With forumite being a nice, clean none spam website, links to others websites can help push them up the google ladder. So it got me thinking………

I may create on the home page a space for 20 or so businesses from the UK to advertise each month. But! they will not be paying by cash. Instead they can pay by creating a blog post in there particular field of business. Plumber, Gardner, cook and so on. Anything that could be useful or interesting to read. Anyhow I’ll look at putting some feelers out next year on that one.

Other than that there will be little changes around here unless I get the itch 🙂

Some people may remember that I asked for colour combos for a project through the year. Well I settled on Ubuntu colours. That project is still ongoing but I do want that finished before new years “Very Unlikely if not Impossible” .

I have not much more to say, my head feels like its full of fluff and everything is at a distance, I think I need a chill day. None the less…………………………………………………

HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Spread the love
Viewing 20 replies - 21 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Replies

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 1,550

Ryan, no idea about that, I was living in Newport at the time and going to TJ’s most weekends.

I know some of them did do daft things when they hammered though.

My Instagram

My YouTube

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,977

It’s called being young and stupid pm.

My best was The night we passed out of training, me and my section (7 others), got wind of a brothel near by. So we went along and the girls there was having non of it, so we decided to assault the palce,and figure out whey they wouldn’t let us in

It turned out it was nurse lodging. And the girls wasn’t happy. The police was called and 8 pissed marines all darted in evey direction. Being about 4am, after a long celabeation, non of us got far.

To be fair to the police, the just dropped us of at camp. They didn’t even report us to the guard house.

I do have a more stupid and more embarrassing one, and even more lucky, due to the police officer in charge that day (morning)  was an ex booty, working in Warrington cells. He gave 17 year lid me the dressing down of my life, and sent me on my way, with a lot to think about.

As I said, young and stupid. I don’t think men turn to adults until atleset 30, and never trully nature. If it wasn’t for women keeping us in check, we’d all be bonkers.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 2,277

Steve I think I posted here about my 21st. birthday night, spent in the Scots Guards nick in Aldershot. I had gone with a mate to a pub used by Paras, regular 2 Para guys and not Short course as I had been. Some of 2 Para guys were away on exercise but their women were in the pub, looking for – (cough!) – Something Different. We became Different for the night, I ended up in a Married Quarter flat with one such young lady. Husband and mates came back early and I really wanted to live a bit longer, so I went out the window with shoes and jeans around my neck, down each drainpipe, heart in mouth and trying to control my bowels.

Unfortunately an MP patrol spotted my athletic descent and arrested me. Interviewed, I told the truth, all the Monkeys had a good laugh but took me to the SG nick instead of the Para guard room, big relief! Next day the SG sheriff listened, had a good laugh and gave me a lift back to REME barracks in Bordon, on his way to a mate’s in Guildford. What a nice man!

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Mark Turner
    Participant
    @turner74
    Forumite Points: 178

Bob was that Para pub up a small road / alley off the high street heading in to the main town centre walkway?

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Mark Turner.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,291

Ryan, no idea about that, I was living in Newport at the time and going to TJ’s most weekends. I know some of them did do daft things when they hammered though.

Sorry, I’ve just read my previous post back and it sounds a bit harsh. It wasn’t meant to, and I didn’t think that you were involved at all. With the exception of whoever threw the ashtray*, I stopped caring about any of it years ago. Like Steve says, most of us do stupid things when we’re young and drunk. I’m just glad I grew up before social media and the permanence of the internet…

As an aside, I’ve played in TJ’s. I was in my late teens and in a punk band. We were the last but one band on for an all day gig, and had a stage invasion and crowd surfers. Pretty impressive considering how bad we were 😂

*Being a student club, most of our staff were students, and mostly girls aged 18 or 19. As you can imagine, they were the ones behind the bar when the ashtray was thrown.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

No worries Ryan.

I think every band in South Wales played TJ’s at some point. Always a good crowd there.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 1,650

When Ed wrote about the flu doing the rounds a little while back I lived in what turned out to be unanswered hope, so I read the above between periods alternating between in bed, in the loo and coughing myself to the point of black out. Now I am hopefully getting better.

Not a personal experience but I lived in a location that was often used by rowdy Saudis for R&R away from the folks back home. This did not impress many of the locals so when a small group of inebriated young Saudis stumbled into a taxi and demanded transport to the best local ‘house of ill repute’ the driver was ready. The police station for a new town was a rather grand affair built not unlike an imposing small palace. He charged them an appropriate taxi fare and finder’s fee for pointing to the ‘best place in the neighbourhood’ before sending them off to the rear entrance. This had no sign boards displaying its real function in life and he retired to a safe lights off distance. The local staff, both male and female, were chortling about the affair for months afterwards. I understand that the ‘residents’ of the building in question showed their official displeasure at the visitor’s behaviour while taking private pleasure in distributing the story far and wide as a cautionary tale.

Now off watch for the drive into the devil’s stew pot (London) for the start of my wife’s radiotherapy, coughing and spluttering willing. The Macmillan centre advised, do not miss this at any price, take whatever you can to keep your driver going but get there.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,482

Good luck Richard, I hope it is not the same bug as the one that infected the wife and I. It took the best part of a month to clear, and went out with a bang. A massive sneeze  — that caused  me a six hour nose bleed and a visit to A&E to try and stem it . Luckily it clotted before they wheeled out the cauteriser! (diathermy machine) – had it once and it was B-painful as locals do not work if you are bleeding

The Duke
    @sgb101

Good luck with the wife today. Our appointment was cancelled an hour before for staff shortages. A bit of annoyance given the appointment was at 12.30 so it ruined the whole day. Though the wife didn’t mind, as she is under the weather, and the treatment over Xmas hasn’t been doing her any favours.

This wasn’t the first cancellation/last min time change over this winter break. I don’t blame them, as atm it seems the whole of our are has some form of flu/stomach bug at keeps circulating. Nurses aren’t ammune to such bugs. And they can’t go on cancer wards if even a little unwell. a

So onwards and hopefully upwards, into The new year.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Good luck all.

I’ve not seen any illness like that around here, thankfully. Even a simple cold knocks me sideways these days due to my lowered immune system.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Hope we don’t get that bug, I’ve had enough of infections for a while. As Nolan says, a lowered immune system is vulnerable. I am feeling pretty good atm, but missus Bob is not. The hip she had replaced last February is giving her pain and may well have to be redone. New consultant was one of the gang I call “Off-Putters”, in that he told her at her last visit that it is her spine which was causing the pain. “In her groin?” I asked. (We always go into appointments together, for support and witness) Wife accepted this but I did not, and assured him that we would be back if his advice to “Let it settle down” resulted in continuing pain. It is now worse and she has asked to see GP, who is one of the good guys who takes up a patients cause and does not give up.

I have had enough of her struggling to walk and would like to get this sorted while I am reasonably well enough to see her through it again. More household tasks in my future I think!

Saturday is a family do which will cheer up my missus. 25th birthday meal for eldest grandson, whole family gathered around a table scoffing their heads off.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by Bob Williams.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

Bob,

I understand that usually those ops are painful for a short while, but after that the relief from a success is usually the main effect. If a year has passed it does sound as though it is one of those that did not go as well as might have been expected. You cannot borrow my war drum or war chant mat, after today’s repeat experience of being a mushroom, kept in the dark and you know the rest…

Steve I am sorry your wife’s appointment was cancelled at short notice, I trust it was a more routine than imperative one and that you were not told on arrival after a long journey to get there

Happily we went to and from the hospital and aided by the post Christmas lull the run took a quarter of the time. Sadly the visit last month appeared to be something of a complete waste of time since all the setting up work had to be redone along with the radiotherapy. So the lightly bounced phrase involving a ‘couple of minutes’ was another ‘you’ll be kept in the dark for an hour or more, with my wife in a range of uncomfortable positions. The journey was not comfortable fun, we were tired and annoyed and in pain to boot: our mutual tin-tack guns would have run out of ammunition, so it was good we did not have one. There are posters everywhere in the hospital asking patients to let them know how things went, I will try to cool down a bit before giving them an honest report.

The Duke
    @sgb101

We are lucky our hospital is 14mins away from our front door. She was ment to have chemo but cos of NY break, they was trying to give it her bay after day to catch up, but she really didn’t feel upto it anyhow, so she was relieved. We are still in tomorrow anyway.

They only time we have to travel “far” is Manchester, but that isnt often, and we do a monthly run to Wrexham to see her consultant (which works at our local hospital!), but that’s hardly far at 30mins away.

It’s about 45miles, but we dont have mental trafic and it’s just two dual carafes away. So easy going.

Bob, that hip should still be under warranty, you want to take it back 😁 if you don’t laugh you’ll cry. So Ill joke about everything.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Sharing that crack Steve, passed to my Gert who cracked up, thanks mate, she needed a laugh. Your SOH is the same as mine: laugh in the face of trouble.

Grimsby hospital is between 20 and 30 minutes away depending upon time of day and traffic, but all a reasonably straight run up the A16. Usually Gert’s consultant is in Louth Hospital, which is only 2 miles by road through a town of ancient streets and many traffic lights, so I go an extra mile around the A16 bypass and get there quicker, without holdups.

When my Op consultant sends for me for a final check, it will mean Beverley in East Yorkshire. That is a horrible place to drive around, with some of the daftest junctions I have seen. I hope your Doris soon has better luck with appointments.

Richard some sections of the NHS are very fond of treating us all like mushrooms. I have never been quiet in opposition to that. My favourite phrase is thrown at medicos in full flow: “What does that mean in layman’s language please?” Reactions vary in answer to that.

May our other halves, families and ourselves have better medical news in 2019.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 1,009

My closest hospital is a sore point. The nearest one is Northwick Park at less than 2 miles, a 15 min bus ride. Northwick Park is a massive teaching and research hospital purpose build in the 1970’s with everything you could want. They have 3 MRI machines, 4 CAT scanners, umpteen X Ray machines and more ultrascan units than they could use. They have the NW London main maternity unit and even a tropical desiese unit. There is a satalite of Moorfields eye hospital and St Marks gastroenterinal hospital is on the same site. Millions were just spent upgrading and expanding the A&E so that every patient undergoing assessment now  gets a seperate room instead of a ward.

Why oh why then do they keep sending me appointments for  crappy Central Middlesex Hospital that is a 3 bus 1 and a half hour journey away ?

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Why oh why then do they keep sending me appointments for crappy Central Middlesex Hospital that is a 3 bus 1 and a half hour journey away ?

Possibly to justify keeping it open? Just a guess.

I have to travel to the other side of town Monday morning to see the chronic pain clinic people for the first time. It’s also held literally 1.5 miles away from me, up the road from mum’s place. Waiting list up the road is 1 1/2 years, got this appointment in just over 6 months.

I’m sure there’s some poor sod who has a very close appointment date to mine up the road from me who lives the wrong side of town that’d happily swap appointments with me to save us both aggro.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

You may well have a point there PM.

The BRAND NEW Central Middlesex Hospital building is fantastic. They spent who knows what knocking down the crumbling 19th century hospital and putting up a new one. The thing is though its still in the middle of the park royal industrial estate and a year after it opened they decided to shut the A&E. The whole place is a ghost town where the best game to play is spot the staff.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

I kid you not. The last time I was there I had to ask a board looking cleaner (there is no one to make a mess) for directions because I just couldnt find anybody else.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

When I found the right department there was an orderly waiting for me because THE receptionist was off sick. The orderly gave me a gown to change into and showed me to a waiting room, then left to go about his duties. They were an hour and a half late seeing me during which time I didnt see another soul. I was beginning to think I was in a scene from that old TV show Survivors !

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

The Central Middlesex must be one of the increasingly few hospitals we have not visited with a 25 mile radius taking in the west north and east of us. Based on your experiences it is one better cancelled than attended.

Someone mentioned Northwick park, I think that was the one that had terrible phone performance when it opened back in the 1960s. There were bags of staff, just never in position when callers wanted or needed to call. The idea of scheduling staff start, end and relief times to avoid peek demand times, had not been part of the planner’s brief. A few moment’s work caused a dramatic improvement and meant they had enough staff to cover most sickness and holidays needs without recruiting anyone extra.

That one is outside of our notional 25 mile boundary so we have not visited it either, long may that remain the case.

Reminder, I must check my mileage against the insurance limits for the usual car, urgently.

Viewing 20 replies - 21 through 40 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love