Forumite

Free sat.

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Free sat. 2The Duke
    @sgb101

Is free sat still a thing? Or rather can you still get free view via the sky dish?

Made the mistake of letting the wife go out the house, she is staying a friends, and she just called and said I WANT TV BACK! Tbh after about 6 years with out tv this saddens me greatly.

So Im after a cheap box that uses satellite dish for a signal. We can’t get an Arial signal. And I refuse to return to sky.

To make things worse, I only ditched our 5 sky boxes.

Don’t need a pvr, as in demand works fine for us. But she want to be able to ‘click buttons’ her words. As her Amazon tv box does live TV, but some how that’s not good enough.

One day she has been away! One day!

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Keymaster
    Free sat. 3RSB
    @bdthree
    Forumite Points: 7,473

See bobs humax post.

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Forumite Donations Paypal.me/forumite

Participant
    Free sat. 2The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,396

I’ve just been informed she wants the Manhattan hd SX like her friend! Having been out of the tv space never heard of them but a quick Google seems it’s OK, and should do her.

Not letting her out again.

Participant
    Free sat. 5Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,353

Steve the Manhattan SX has only one Dish input, don’t know how that would work with the LNB, usually needs at least 2x LNB output sockets from the dish. Check this out, scroll down to the grey and white pic at the bottom, see “Dish In“:

http://tinyurl.com/ybbapm8k

Full kit, includes dish and LNB, but still only one dish output:

http://tinyurl.com/ya32obg9

Dish Kit
    43cm Minidish inc wall mount
    Single Output LNB
    Cable
    2xF Connectors – One input connects to the 2x LNB outputs. Unsure about that.
    4xWall Bolts

It will probably work fine, but no chance of feeding more than one TV (needs a Quad LNB) and 2x LNB outlets are needed to record and watch at same time: my Humax HDR-1100S can record 2 prog’s while watching another. The EPG looks better though.

Good luck, I know what it means when “My mate has one of these and I want one,” is said in your ear! With me, it’s usually my daughter has something and SWMBO wants one. Hard to win against such arguments.??

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    Free sat. 2The Duke
    @sgb101

We have the dish still up from our sky days. I’m assuming it still all works.

She only needs one feed I think as I don’t car about recording etc. I think the box has od, but if not she has her Amazon box (hate that). So between the two she is covered.

I’m not going to be feeding more than the lounge tv. I’m disappointed she has given up on our no over the air tv set up. She said she didn’t realise she missed live TV untill she was Sat in her friends last night..

I had a look at the box she picked, and it seems to have good reviews. So I’m assuming it works. Which is about all she needs. No need for recording so second input.

I’ll grab it form Amazon as if it doesn’t work properly they can pick it up. We already have two Sat feeds in the lounge. We’ll we have two feeds in 5 rooms, from the bad old expensive sky days.

If this fails, I’ll probably look at the entry level HD humax job. No need for the more expensive hdd one. On demand just works, so I wouldn’t want to return to the remembering to set recordings, then managing them. When a trip to iplayer/itv etc… Just works.

Ive actually got zero interest in the project, hence my that will do approach. I probably watch about 6 hours of tv a year in the lounge.thats her tv. And with a bad back the couch, all couches, kill my back. So I’m far more happy in my desk chair.

We have been talking about getting one of those lazy boy oap chairs. As we have normal reclining ones but they still kill ne after an hour sitting on them. So I usually end up lay on the floor with the dogs.

So a proper chair may be in our future. But then I’d have to listen to soaps and reality crap etc, so I’m in no rush tbh.

Participant
    Free sat. 7Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,581

I had the Manhattan Plaza box in the kitchen. Picture wise it’s perfect but the GUI isn’t very good. The new SX may be better.

Replaced it with a Humax HB-1100S which has a much better GUI, catch up TV (via the backwards planner), WiFi and the ability to record to an external USB if you want. I have one plugged in but it’s never been used.

I will be giving Sky the heave-ho soon and will probably get a Humax HDR-1100S 500 GB for the living room. The difference is twin channels and an internal HDD.

The loss of some HD channels doesn’t bother me.

Participant
    Free sat. 8johnbarry
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 4,458

The signal from your dish will still provide freesat, you can’t record, pause, rewind etc but you get all the freeview, plus others channels that were free like certain music channels.

you will need a sky box you will need a card (your old card, if you have your old box) to recieve BBC and CH4

Cheers
    John

Participant
    Free sat. 2The Duke
    @sgb101

Jb – We no longer have our old bsb boxes or card, turned off 6 years ago, found and binned the boxes (and probably the cards was still in the original boxes) out the attic last year. . We are looking are getting the free sat Box above. It looks decent and I think but not sure, or that bothered, if it pauses or not.

If she wants live TV, she can watch it live lol. Otherwise, us on demand and she and pause to her hearts content.

Dave, the SX, to me from watching a quick YouTube video, the ui looks very much like you view, which I do like, and as far as I can tell, it does the going back in time, the same way you view does ie, it falls back to OD services via the Internet to make it feel like it’s going backwards, but just polling off the iplayer etc in reality.

Our kitchen tv, a 32” HD jobbie hasn’t been turned on since the Wii got retired, and that was retired cos it never got used. Actually iirc about 5 years ago, I swapped my broken tv out my office for the one in the kitchen. So it doesn’t even work. It’s been thst long I forgot about that. Lol. No one has Have noticed or been bothered..

We had sky in there once, soon had it turned off, as it was a good idea in theory, but no one ever actually put the tv on. The older kids, then younger, used it making to play the Wii, (more room) , untill we discovered the Wii was crap, and it fooled the world.

Seen that in the attic too last month. May dust that off, it’s probably hackable as hell now.

Participant
    Free sat. 8johnbarry
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 4,458

Never tried any other box, just talking my own experience with a dish after subscription end.

Cheers
    John

Participant
    Free sat. 11blacklion1725
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 3,338

The Humax boxes are very good. The backwards planner is (I think) called “FreeTime” (equivalent to Freeview Play/YouView). A slight abstract suggestion – one of these. Live satellite (FreeSat) – can record (via USB), has ful Android as well as IPTV middleware (thinking 3pms Duke). I have one that I bought just to play with when there was a £20 ebay code and am very impressed with it. I don’t need it at all but it is no nice I’ve kept it.

If you only want the free channels then I would go Humax with two inputs and the FreeTime play or whatever it is called.

Participant
    Free sat. 12Alan Wood
    @alanrwood
    Forumite Points: 744

You will also need a broadcast license ??

Participant
    @blacklion1725

You will also need a broadcast license ??

I think you need one anyway these days for iplayer etc even if you are not takiing a terrestrial or satellite broadcast signal.

Participant
    Free sat. 2The Duke
    @sgb101

I’ve never stopped my licence, even when I could I knew the rules was changing. So just kept it going out of lazyness.

BL if it was for me, I’d be looking down the android box route, but it for her, she wants the live TV experiance back, (which she never lost, give she has live TV apps on the amazon tv, but has never taken to them.

Basically she wants a remit with buttons it sounds. I’m picking her up at 3.30pm (2 hour round trip for dick head here!) so I’ll see exactly what she wants then.

Well given she informed me of the box she wants. since when she started making tech choices, I don’t know, over 20 years and she has only ever made one choice iPhone 3g, and she hated it.

Participant
    Free sat. 2The Duke
    @sgb101

I’ve never stopped my licence, even when I could I knew the rules was changing. So just kept it going out of lazyness.

BL if it was for me, I’d be looking down the android box route, but it for her, she wants the live TV experiance back, (which she never lost, give she has live TV apps on the amazon tv, but has never taken to them.

Basically she wants a remit with buttons it sounds. I’m picking her up at 3.30pm (2 hour round trip for dick head here!) so I’ll see exactly what she wants then.

Well given she informed me of the box she wants. since when she started making tech choices, I don’t know, over 20 years and she has only ever made one choice iPhone 3g, and she hated it.

Participant
    Free sat. 16Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,677

My new TV has a freesat input on the back. Outside my back window is a sky dish that was there when I arrived 8 years ago. The dish looks complete but its not connected to anything except about 3 feet of coax. Would it work if I cabled it to the TV ? (if its not broken of course).

Participant
    @blacklion1725

My new TV has a freesat input on the back. Outside my back window is a sky dish that was there when I arrived 8 years ago. The dish looks complete but its not connected to anything except about 3 feet of coax. Would it work if I cabled it to the TV ? (if its not broken of course).

It should do – assuming (a) that the dish is still aligned (not been knocked) and the LNB (box on the end of the dish arm where the cable connects) is still working. Possibility the dish is pre-Sky digital in which case you’d want to replace the whole lot (very cheap and not too hard to align yourself).

Participant
    Free sat. 16Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,677

The dish may well be pre Sky digital. It was just a thought because running about 5 feet of coax would be simple. I don’t think i’ll bother if it may not work ?

Participant
    @blacklion1725

Sky analogue will be a bigger dish with and LNB that only has one F-type connector, if your dish looks like all the others you see around (smaller, mesh, dual/quad/octo  LNB) then it is almost certainly digital. I’d give it a go, even if you just trail a cable across the floor before you run it in.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.