Forumite

GoNad GoDigital

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    GoNad GoDigital 2keith with the teef
    @thinktank

So, Iv’e been building computer hifi/media centres for years. The last one was as up to date as I could make it featuring the AE5 sound card.

With computers being digital for the most part I decided to extend the digital aspect further a field to a eternal digital amplifer being the Nad 3020 v2.

In the first instance of playing music it was like what just happend. The best features of the Nad are its digital side being fibre optic and lossless bluetooth. The difference between analogue and digital is stark. Digital makes anal logue sound poor. But its not its just analogue.

So a revelation in sound quality then. But all that gliters is not gold and so old music like the Mamas and Pappas is delivered so corectly that it sounds even older. Rock music that for the most part is built on destortion is cleaned up to the sound of session musicians. Toto any one. But on a plus side Toto do sound outstanding as does orchestrial and poorly engeneered music comes across way better. Oasis any one.

The blutooth comes across amazing as well.

Fink I will get a LG V30 for its storage capability and its soild soud quality. Who knows I may end up bining the hifi pc.

The Nad 3020 v2 is tiny about as big as a fat papperback. Harry potter any one. Its in orders of magnitiude smaller then my analogue amp, Onkyo 9010 and it uses about 80% less leccy.

So steamers now. I had alot of streamer apps, such as: Music Bee, Foobar.Signalist etc. To descover that in digital output mode windows Grove Music took to the chanlange like a duck to water on steriods. All other music streamer apps have now been removed.

There we are I guess. :)

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    GoNad GoDigital 4Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,581

A mate of mine used to have a record shop and dabbled in old hi-fi too. He got hold of a 60’s Quad valve amp, never heard anything like it, marvellous.

There’s a reason Marshall amps are still beloved of guitarists.

Participant
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 2,502

An Old M8 of mine had a music shop as well. It was called beatroute as apposed to beetroot the vegetable. Almost clever like gonad. :yahoo:

Yeah, good old marshall amps, top kit. Watched the Queen movie tonight, Bohemian Rhapsody. It has Mike Myers in from the Wains World movies as Ray Foster. There is another clevel little tangent joke in there. Its a movie buff thing though. Most will miss it.

Participant
    GoNad GoDigital 6Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,353

In all the years I have listened to music, via so many source machinery that I lost count, there is only one amp that I would like to have again: a Danish “Arena” that gave the best sound from anything else. At the time, I was in Germany, bought it from a shop in Flensburg, right by the Danish border. I put it together with a Philips Direct Drive turntable with touch-button controls, 4 Arena speakers (the amp was an early Quad sound setup), and a big , vertical free- standing Akai stereo open reel tape recorder. The walls of my bunk shook at times! A quick posting to a Strategic Reserve unit in the UK, meant that I could not take all that with me. Going on leave, I sold everything but the Philips turntable and the amp, drove into the UK, got stopped by customs. 1969 and the Stones were in Hyde Park, pre-Common Market days. The customs ratbag official wanted over £170 in duty, saw my face and said “Or we can take it and sell it in our Customs House sales. Might buy that myself.” No you won’t I thought, surreptitiously breaking the tone arm and ripping out some bits from the amp. I hope he found them in his bin after I went.

When I pointed out that there were lots of Netherlands hippies pouring off the ferry for the Stones concert, VW microbuses loaded with recreational materials, he just said “They are guests in our country.”

I enjoyed the Stones concert.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 2,502

Bob, another great story. :)

Participant
    GoNad GoDigital 6Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,353

Thanks Keith. Sometimes I wonder at the antics a young Bob got up to. :whistle:

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.