Forumite General Topics Tech PC Talk Goodbye Ryzen 3, Hello Ryzen 5?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Dave Rice
    Participant
      @ricedg
      Forumite Points: 7

I’ve just been asked (independently) by two ex-Carrier colleagues to build them new PCs. Both have X3 and X4 Phenoms that are finally showing their age, not bad really. I’m just amazed the HDDs are still going. Both are tech savvy but are not in the IT world, how much that has to do with what follows I’m not sure.

TBH neither of them need more than an Athlon 3000G and an SSD so that’s where I steered them but thought I’d offer the next step up to Ryzen’s especially as that brings NVMe into play. Once I started totting things up there was only £35 between a Ryzen 3 and Ryzen 5, ~10% of the system cost. So unless £35 is a deal breaker Ryzen 3’s seem superfluous.

Both immediately rejected the Athlon, I don’t think either could be convinced that an entry level CPU could possibly fit their needs. But then these are the guys that went for x3 / x4 when x2 would have done, so maybe they’re right in the long term?

I could have gone A320 but I think a Ryzen deserves a B450, so the extra cost was £100. No problem.

keith with the teef
      Participant
        @thinktank
        Forumite Points: 0

What kind of 5? a 4650GE or the G. Apparently you can get both now.

Dave Rice
        Participant
          @ricedg

3400G, the 4650 would be well OTT with 6 cores 12 threads. I can’t find any for sale anyway. B550 motherboards aren’t too silly prices though.

CCL still have some Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8 / 16 left at £185 and a bundle with a Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE and 16GB for £320. I built a games machine around the bundle for my best man’s son at Christmas. Very nice.

Drezha
          Participant
            @drezha

I’ve been thinking of upgrading my NUC to the Asus PN50. Looks like I could reuse almost all of the parts I’ve currently got in my NUC (the i3 8109U model). However, it isn’t like I need to upgrade! Was considering the 4500U model to last me for the next two to three years.

"Everything looks interesting until you do it. Then you find it’s just another job" - Terry Pratchett

Dave Rice
            Participant
              @ricedg

I’m starting to see lots of AMD NUC units appearing in my FB feed. To be fair Intel have upped their game too but in true Intel fashion the 8th Gen i3 U is better than the 10th. The 4500U still wins out at the price point vs the i5 U.

keith with the teef
              Participant
                @thinktank

They are available in the Grey Market it seems and a review in the link.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-5-pro-4650g-renoir-apu-review,1.html

Dave Rice
                Participant
                  @ricedg

That was too much hard going but I get the drift, it’s so good the only competition is AMD so we’ll have to wait.

Built the Ryzen 5’s today. Still amazes me how fast they are with an NVMe. It’s currently copying from 2 x USB drives, one of which is USB3, to the spinner and installing Office 2019 on the SSD. Not breaking sweat.

keith with the teef
                  Participant
                    @thinktank

Glad to hear the new builds are goin well.

Dave Rice
                    Participant
                      @ricedg

Cheers Keith, they are stupidly quick but you soon get used to it 😄

TBH I’m looking forward to seeing how his old Phenom x4 with a new SSD runs a lightweight Ubuntu. I’ll bet it’s going to be almost as snappy but we’ll see.

keith with the teef
                      Participant
                        @thinktank

Yeah, I did some basic math. The phenom x4 is close to the athlon 200GE on cine cpu bench.

I think I paid about £200 for the phenom x4 and £50 for the 200GE. Lol.

Also, I see the new 4650G has 2x teraflops of APU grunt. Thats like an NV GTX660 and I was playing GTA5 with mine at the time and GTA5 still looks amazing.  I think i paid about £270 for the GTX660.

Tippon
                        Participant
                          @tippon

Built the Ryzen 5’s today. Still amazes me how fast they are with an NVMe. It’s currently copying from 2 x USB drives, one of which is USB3, to the spinner and installing Office 2019 on the SSD. Not breaking sweat.

My PSU has been a bit flaky since the new build and graphics card, so I put the spinner in a USB2 caddy while I waited to get a new PSU. With a few small exceptions (running VMs for example), I’ve barely noticed the difference.

Drezha
                          Participant
                            @drezha

My PSU has been a bit flaky since the new build and graphics card, so I put the spinner in a USB2 caddy while I waited to get a new PSU. With a few small exceptions (running VMs for example), I’ve barely noticed the difference.

Funny you say that, I’ve just shucked a drive and installed in my gaming rig – not because of any speed issues using it via USB3, but because I wanted to free up a plug socket!

Replaced the 3TB in the PC with the 4TB that was in the external.

"Everything looks interesting until you do it. Then you find it’s just another job" - Terry Pratchett

Dave Rice
                            Participant
                              @ricedg

Linux installed. The Phenom with Xubuntu on a 128GB SSD would have been described as snappy before NVMe :wacko:

Xubuntu is fine, covers all the basics and more. Found all my network printers and server shares on it’s own. Reminds me of when I used Puppy a lot, it always was the best at networking stuff and the tools haven’t changed much, just look a bit smarter.

keith with the teef
                              Participant
                                @thinktank

Xubuntu? Sounds moere like Andriod 11.

You cannot pull the wool over our eyes Dave. We all know Linux distros do not work. Except Andriod on x86/64. 🙂

Ed P
                                Participant
                                  @edps
                                  Forumite Points: 39

The Ryzen 3000 has a clever bit of code optimisation (link). Unfortunately I just cannot help thinking that this may be a weak link open to exploit just like the Intel CSME.

Dave Rice
                                  Participant
                                    @ricedg

There’s another trick too, higher performance with lower power consumption Toms Hardware

The owners are very happy with their new PCs, mind you I think a lot of that is down to the Adata NVMe.

I was looking at an i3 as an in-between 3000G and 3400G solution but realised I’m out of touch with Intel world big style. The latest trap is watching out for the “F” CPUs which means you have to add a discrete graphics card. Fair enough (I think) in CPUs aimed at gaming but an “office” machine, albeit a higher end one?

Wheels-Of-Fire
                                    Participant
                                      @grahamdearsley
                                      Forumite Points: 4

Well it may extend the life of the system, you can always buy a new graphics card. Still running my i7 990X with a Radeon RX480 and I may replace that if something much better comes out 😁

Dave Rice
                                      Participant
                                        @ricedg

I think you’ll find the CPU becomes the bottleneck then. I know benchmarks don’t tell the whole story but a Ryzen 3 3200G benchs about the same.

But in line with the two upgrades I’ve just done it does show that if you push the boat out a bit your system can last a decade. I don’t know how many HDDs you’ve been through but these two were still on their original Seagates, which I find amazing.

Wheels-Of-Fire
                                        Participant
                                          @grahamdearsley
                                          Forumite Points: 4

Well a funny thing, the system still has its original 1TB HDD from 2010 as media storage but it has had 3 SSD system drive upgrades. Always speed, size and reliability reasons.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping