Google Maps and Navigation – Speed Cameras

HOME Forums Tech Android Talk Google Maps and Navigation – Speed Cameras

This topic contains 23 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Richard 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725

May be old news but noticed today that Google Navigation on Android now includes visual and spoken speed camera notifications. I use Google Navigation with TomTom Speed Cameras overlaid, and noticed that I was getting two warnings, and there’s a little warning icon on the map so you can see where the camera is. It worked in that it picked up all the stationary cameras that TomTom did – but it did not identify or warn about average speed zone cameras (TomTom does). I think I’ll stick with TomTom, as it also shows you your speed versus the speed limit, but the little icon that Google Maps now offers up is a nice addition.

You’ve probably all been using this for months and I’ve only just noticed !!

Spread the love
Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Replies

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 713

A bobby with his cam van was up to no good where I live last week. I set the cruise for 27 in town and the misses scoffed at me. But when i pointed to the van in the distance.

Then on return to our village he was there just parked 200 mtrs just inside the 30 zone limit.

This time periferal vison saw him as I hit the 30 zone at 40 and wham I hit the barkes massive. I drove passed him at 5MPH.

The misses came back from work with a tale that on of staff there had got a ticket.

TBH why dont the cops spend more rescources on catching perpertraitors of FGM or something. IDIOTS.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 1,297

Another big plus vote for TomTom Speed Camera app. Current built in Satnav functions well but doesn’t integrate well. Should have a better try out next week when I’ll be able to see what combination works best for me.

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Points: 890

Keith – you will know that I am ex-police and I do tend to agree with your comments but possibly not the extreme driving example or what you called my ex-colleagues. Unfortunately if drivers DID obey the speed limits there would be no need for “Go Safe” or whatever they are currently called – but they DON’T unfortunately – they only react when they see such vans – or as in many cases – they don’t and too late – ticket!!  Statistically there are more people killed / maimed on our roads than by crime.  Thankfully I hope that you have never had to break the news to a young family that ‘dad won’t be coming home this evening (or ever again)’ as I have had to in my days – not a nice experience and something you NEVER EVER forget as a copper or even in retirement!!

What I would like to see is the use of a caution for those caught within 5mph of the speed limit as opposed to a fine – yes it’s very easy money and if you have a car, you must have money – cautions are never given unless you happen to get caught by a ‘human cop’!! Over many years as a custody officer I cautioned countless thieves, burglars, druggies and those who had committed  minor assaults but NEVER a motorist who may have been a few microgrammes over the limit or a mph or so over the speed limit.

Question – why were you entering a 30mph limit at 40mph is one question I would ask? Your inference to idiots (doing their job) could also be a reflection on your driving – the 30mph signs are quite clear and you must have known where you were at that time and hence familiar with the road conditions. Thankfully ‘there but for the grace of God, go I’ and thousands of other motorists – but before you unduly castigate them – have you ever attended at a fatal accident to see and hear the carnage? Perhaps that might change your mind?

Unfortunately the number of policeman (& their funding) currently available has gone down by 15-20% over the last few years (thanks to Theresa May and Co.)  and yes they are ‘bang at it’ trying to do everything, for everyone with relative nothing and one hand tied behind their backs as well’ – your analogy to FGM is stupid as that is not a crime that is seen in the public eye (compared to theft, burglary, robbery and violence). FGM is totally within the family and thus almost impossible to deal with – you may have heard that teachers, doctors etc are now being asked to disclose such information as and when they suspect it – it is certainly not a visible crime that a PC might come across in his daily work and to make that comparison reduces the validity and credibility of your argument in my opinion.

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 2,087

Waze is my usual sat nav but Google Maps is better at finding more obscure locations.

On my history field trip yesterday I started off with Waze and then switched to Google Maps for the last 10-15 miles. I love Android Auto. 😃

My Instagram

My YouTube

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,325

Totally agree with your post Dwynne. Only had to do the dreaded door knock to a new widow once, during a short spell as Regimental Police in BAOR. A young Bombardier had wrapped his BMW around a huge tree whilst driving at some speed and was killed instantly. I had to go and tell his even younger wife, who met me at the door. After giving the awful news, her reaction was to attack me and I had to allow her to take that out on me. Never forgotten it, never will.

Years later I was recovering vehicles, working as workshop foreman. I saw so many RTC’s that caused fatalities and life-changing injuries. In every case, speeding was involved, sometimes complicated by careless and/or dangerous driving. Many of the officers I met at these incidents, were as visibly sickened by what they had to do, as I was. It is absolutely true: speed kills. I am no saint here, having been caught twice driving a few MPH over the limit many years ago, but I drive within the limit now and have done for years.

The numbers using phones while driving is just as bad as speeding and drink driving, IMHO. This is a step in the right direction I think:

http://tinyurl.com/y2k3x5jx

Atm it cannot differentiate between drivers and passengers, but a passenger answering for the driver can ignore the warning.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,209

I do sometimes wonder why some speed limits are where they are and how the location of speed cameras (tax collectors?) are justified. The local main road had a truly shocking record of deaths and serious injury at the last count it had reached 15 in half a mile of relatively straight and open, though somewhat narrow road, yet the cameras were placed another couple of hundred yards up the road. I had never seen more than a clumsy speeding motor cycle get dropped when they miss judged that a car was turning right and slowing the traffic behind. In most cases the speed limits are posted, though in some cases the shrubs appear to be allowed to grow to obscure the signs, especially when the limits change within maddening frequency. I do love the speed limit repeater on the dash of our newer cars, that and the speed limiter to complement the cruise control, however, the driver still has to act and use their brain, please.

My real bug-bare are the idiots who feel that the semi permanent ‘temporary’ restrictions to protect road workers do not apply to them and all traffic sticking to the 30 or whatever should speed up to what ever speed is required to allow them to travel unimpeded. I try never to give in to their threats, so far successfully. It is not as though the signs are easily missed, they are about 3 feet in diameter, if you cannot see them take yourself and your (necessary) white stick to Specsavers.

The average speed systems appear to be well signposted in every case, hint those yellow frames in the central reservation are a useful clue. The A10 has an example and some traffic may have weird views on what the limit is, though generally compliance appears fairly good.

I did get caught up in the aftermath of one memorable fatal some 50+ years ago. It later turned out the driver had a major row with his other half from whom I think he was separating, had drunk too much and stormed off. Caught out by rain on a greasy wet road he had spun out on the old A30 and collected a tree crushing the side of the car and halting further backwards progress. The empty child seat in an otherwise spotless car, (apart from the remains of a bottle of distilled spirit) caused those who found the mess to search the fields and hedgerow in case the child was ejected through the now missing windows. Happily the child was safe elsewhere, the driver did not survive the sudden result of the impact which narrowed the Cortina considerably. It later turned out they had been there for a couple of very dark hours before being spotted. Whatever speed they had been doing it had been far too fast for the conditions. That is the real point, posted limits are only ever the maximum, the conditions dictate safe speeds.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Richard.

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh

A few months ago on Rhuallt Hill on the A55 Expressway in North Wales they introduced AS Cameras – in the first month or so they were active but not fining the motorists – several cars were clocked at 125++ mph and it is downhill.  Yes it’s a good dual carriageway but 125mph++?I would also have to agree that in some places they appear to be tax collectors but generally they are placed here as a result of complaints from the local community council or residents. (Based on experience over the years – when speed traps were place in locations as requested by the Co. Council – their members were amongst the first to be caught / fined!! KARMA!!

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,583

I only found out about them cameras two weeks ago. As where I live if I go one way (east) I get on the ST asph junction and if I’m going west I use abergele junction, so I never his that strstch of the road. Went on it a out 3 days ago for the first time. It’s well signposted, so I don’t know have so many was caugh!

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,559

Because the Police are so short of resources you can be pretty sure that they had ’cause’ to set up a trap.

Probably a number of near misses were reported with multiple independent reports of the same followed by a bit of driver observation by a policeman trained to estimate traffic speeds. All of this would be required before using their precious van and crews (probably a car was also parked down the road or on a side road.).

I know that my local resident’s Police Panel has a fairly hard job to get speed monitoring set up, so I did not make up this sort of process.

The VFM Addict
    Participant
    @thevfmaddict
    Forumite Points: 860

I personally favour what I call “Active Speed Reminder” signs of which there are a lot around here.    Those Led Signs access your speed and remind you of it as you pass.    I’ve chatted with folks in my Local and it seems that folks do respond to such and slow down.    I would make it routine to set one up on both approaches to all accident black spots.    Far better to my mind doing that than sticking speed cameras on an open stretch of 40mph road where in reality doing 45mph does not add too significantly to risk.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's hoping the Mad Tangerine of the West and the Mad Monk of the East stay friends or we're all in trouble

The Duke
    @sgb101

The one the light up and just say “slow daiw are fine”, but Thr ones that monitor your speed and report it on the sign, may work to slow the daytime folk down. But at night, they have the oppersite effects. It turns into a game of let’s who can score the highest.

The former I’m all for, the latter not so much. As teens with cheap cars and crap suspension, are pushing their cars to the limit to impress friends through them.

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh

Motoring is a dangerous ‘game’ for both the pedestrian and car user – what we need is more ‘common sense’ but as someone said to me years ago ‘common sense ain’t so common any more’ – so true.

Unfortunately a large proportion of accidents are caused either by negligence or inattentiveness by a road user and unfortunately the human body does not have a ‘reset’ switch! The attitude we need to get rid of is the ‘it won’t happen to me-ism’ in all ages and users.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Agree with all you said, bar Common sense was never common.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,325

90% of A roads around my neck of the woods, are single carriageway. Today I drove the A16 to Grimsby to get SWMBO’s birthday pressie for tomorrow*. There are speed camera signs along the whole stretch of road, with a few built up areas. The “cameras” take the form of one camera van, which appears and disappears in various places. Today it was sat in a village layby: the village has a 40 MPH limit. That was pretty sneaky, or good enforcement if you prefer! It was on my nearside driving up and set I think to catch those coming downhill at a rate of knots, some coming from Grimsby and some from the A18/Humber Bridge/M18/M62. Having learned my lesson some years ago, I take care not to break the limit. However, the whole purpose of the ‘Trap’ was completely lost, as there are bends about 75 metres away in each direction and the dozens of trucks going to the Humber ports were flashing drivers before they made the bends. On my return, either the officers in the van had realised why ‘custom’ was not happening, or the station canteen had fired up the bacon sarnies. Either way, they were gone.

*Been asking for a month what pressie my missus wants. Made her mind up yesterday, 😣🙄😚 wore out much shoe leather to find exactly the necklace she wants. Why are all the jewellery shop assistants women, why are they are so superior, and why do they think they know more than I do about what my missus likes? I have been buying her this stuff for many years and know what works. Eventually I found an old – style shop and a male assistant who listened, then brought out a selection.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

The main road near the estate which I live on was transformed to a 20 mph zone over the course of 2 nights. There is a junior school opposite one of the entrances to the estate on the main road. That stretch makes sense to be a 20 mph zone.

The rest of the road a 20 mph zone makes no sense at all. If it was on Cardiff City FC home match days (variable speed limit) I could see some logic to it but permanent is madness. I await the speed cameras to gather revenue.

The 20 mph zone by the school won’t make things any safer for the kids (the survival rate by being hit by a vehicle is an exception) unless the authorities clamp down very hard on the idiot parents, teachers and visitors to the school that park illegally and dangerously every single school day.  I’ve seen a road safety awareness van parked on the humped zebra crossing outside the school so it’s display materials could be unloaded with minimum walking by the driver. (Yes, it was reported to many people)

My Instagram

My YouTube

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 1,297

What annoys me most about the school 20mph zones is not that they’re there – there is a need for them – but

a) where they choose to site them, one ludicrous example is on the A28 between Westgate and Margate, which is a 2 x 2-lane dual carriageway, which was patrolled by lollipop persons ( or at least they used to be ) with parent-parking along a 200 yd stretch either side of the school gates, making it a single lane at school run times, when it becomes a 20mph zone controlled by dual amber flashing lights. This brings me to

b) you can tell where it starts by the first flashing amber lights on a 20mph sign-written plate, but you can’t tell when you exit the zone – it isn’t signed as such!!! This leads to drivers that don’t know the area stuck doing 20mph – as they should – for longer than they need to be, because they don’t know when they passed back into the 40 zone.

A very good idea for some school entrances, but needs a clear re-think before being applied unilaterally.

The VFM Addict
    Participant
    @thevfmaddict
    Forumite Points: 860

The one the light up and just say “slow daiw are fine”, but Thr ones that monitor your speed and report it on the sign, may work to slow the daytime folk down. But at night, they have the oppersite effects. It turns into a game of let’s who can score the highest. The former I’m all for, the latter not so much. As teens with cheap cars and crap suspension, are pushing their cars to the limit to impress friends through them.

Not seen that Sign Baiting but a local Dual Carriageway is Biker Boulevard or Hot Rod Heaven every now and then in the early hours of the morning.    Its very much Rent a Suicide Mob and seems organised.  When it takes place there are many one on one flat out races with all the others simply watching and awaiting their turn.   Strangely I’m only aware of one fatality over the years but it is a run with mainly wide grass verges on either side which might mitigate crashes when they occur.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's hoping the Mad Tangerine of the West and the Mad Monk of the East stay friends or we're all in trouble

The Duke
    @sgb101

I’ve seen a few, but the one that comes to mind is in Llandudno, the issue with it is its at the end of a relativly long straight, but has a rather sharp bend going into a roundabout. So by playing the “see how can clock the highest” is pretty dagourous, as you then get to play, “who has adequate breaks” straight after.

We have a great 1mile (ish)straight  stretch of dual carriageway, bypassing Rhuddlan, with a round about at each end. Nxo cameras, and rather un enforceable, so the younger lot all race there at night. It’s a safe euough bit of raod, and I’ve not heard of any incedents at night. You get a few in the day, but they are usally people driving into the back of people at ether end of the roundabout.

The incedents where you are looking at the roundabout in anticipation, you see the gap, but Thr person in fornt of you doesn’t and then you drive into them as they don’t move and you do.

Learnt that lesson the hard way in my first year of motoring. Luckally my escort van had real metal numbers, unlike the poor Mondeo I rear ended. I didn’t have a scratch, the Mondeo well… Er… Did.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Went to the doctors today and all the surrounding streets are now a 20 mph zone.

Being able to get to 20 mph would be nice….

My Instagram

My YouTube

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,209

You can but dream; at least the visit was not in lets make it a shambles London. Where one of the urban terrorists was reported as saying she did not care if someone died trying to get to hospital and was held up by their ‘games’. I hope that if any of their antisocial squad gets hurt they have to wait in pain for a horse drawn ambulance to be found and deployed.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love