Forumite Forums General Topics Politics UK Harry and Wossername

• Creator
    Topic
    Bob Williams
    Participant

No: strictly speaking, it is not politics, but I see it as a political distraction for the vast numbers of the British Public who read about this carp and parade in their thousands to wave flags.

Is anyone else as sick and tired of seeing all the Royal Wedding BS as I am? So many TV channels, newspapers, magazines, TV news, a movie (American of course) all dedicated to this marital contrivance. How long before he wakes one morning and realises that’s a middle-aged woman lying next to him? Wake up Ginger, smell the Oil of Olay and head for the hills!

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
      I'm out.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 43 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Richard
      Participant

I cannot say it touches me or affects any part of my very restricted circle. As for newspaper and other media coverage they try to serve out what they think will appeal to their demographic. While they might try to broaden their base by sticking a variety of other items in, they will normally major on one or two that they feel are prime. It is the same the world over. As for the event, I regard it as something for them and their circle, which will include a very large number who run supporting rolls of many kinds of work. I guess they will not be too put out at getting the work and for some the publicity. However I do not expect to be in the wedding dress market ever again and certainly not in that circle either. Happily neither I nor SWMBO were invited so the date is free, good luck to the couple, they will almost certainly need some.

As to having seen any of it? No I have not, see above. I also managed to avoid seeing yet another predictable Eurovision event, though sadly I did hear bits of it from another room. There is much else in which I have ‘negative interest’; snooker, football and most sporting ‘events’. I understand that there is yet another of those coming up which will drown the schedules and delight many others. Good luck to those who are interested, I will not be there to blight your enjoyment, I just hope there is something, anything else to help pass my time.

RSB
        Keymaster

The only thing I will point out on this discussion if you do like to watch your points on the leaderboard you may loose some of them points when this “What ever you want to call it” is mentioned and as you started the topic bob I am gunning for you ! :)

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Contact Admin: admin@forumite-chewey.co.uk

Forumite Donations Paypal.me/forumite

blacklion1725
          Participant

I reckon I’m a minority and although I don’t care for all the officical gossip and cemmentary – I like jolly-ups like this My local will be packed and will be a happy occasion. Nobody thinks it important, just a little bit of British pomp to lighten up life. Suspect most of you feel differemt and if so fair enough. I wish them well as I would any newly weds. Each to their own of course.

The Duke
            Participant

With not having live TV, I just had to ask the wife has it been, or when is it. So I’ve seen zero and I mean zero content or mentions of it.

I love not having tv. Also my only radio station is Talk Sport, so they don’t get a mention there much either.

Personally noting against the pair. But I do have a gripe with “extended royalty”. OK he is a Prince. But I think his prince like should end with him. He will never be king, so what’s the point of his kids being called Prince. Mr or Master, should be enough

RSB
              Keymaster

Minus 176 BL ;) EDIT: Sorry @sgb101 I missed you out, all corrected now.

Richard
                Participant

I thought about the points made by RSB and Bob, but there was another point that came to mind. My father missed the marriage of my daughter – he died. However he did manage not to miss the birth, well the arrival of his great granddaughter and that gave him great joy even though his mind was failing and he died very shortly after.

Well with the even about the 19th there was one thought, (well a few other as well) Phil might well be there to enjoy the idea of things going on as will Lizzie II. It brought home to me that such things will not be my lot. I shall be long gone before my GD and GS will reach a situation like that as will my wife – if the NHS does not get thing sorted out she might not see GD’s  8th birthday…

So the event of the 19th is not so one dimensional after all, it is about family and above all hopefully about life itself. It is not my life, it may not be your life either, but it is the life of a family and we should all recognise that as a real, valid value to those involved and remember it when our time comes. The pomp may not be the same, but the family impact may still be great.

Oh dear it is late and perhaps I am too  emotional, I hope I made sense, typos are inevitable.

dwynnehugh
                  Participant

Strangely enough I have just discovered a very handy quirk on my TV – I think it’s called an OFF switch – works wonders. Same on the radio and I even have a choice as to what I read in the papers – sees very simple and straightforward to me!

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

RSB
                    Keymaster

As far I as I am concerned Britain fetches, barks and kneels far to much for them over the pond and now an other has there foot in the door. Ok, so it’s wrong to point out a nation and plant it on her but it doe’s not sit right with me at all. I do not mind royals either but “If the queen as not already arranged for her to be bumped of then that will be numerous other royal pregnancies to take over the TV and Media.

How about on these special occasions we has a nation protest by not paying any council tax, or tax in general for a day. Another Idea, when trumpers pops in for tea how about everybody refuses to pay tax for the day. It must be possible. Any how, Over sexed, Over Paid & Over Here Wat Wat!

The Duke
                      Participant

The royals are foreign, just like we all out at some level. So I have no issue with any member of our RF marring an American.

Also we bow to the US as we have no other chance. In about 77 (give or take) our own PM said words to the effect when killing out navy off (which is the whole reason we did rule the world), America will be our main defence, and we will only go into wars with their permission.

Can’t recall which one it was. But it’s 100% ligit.

Now we don’t have the Navy or Army, to do anything. The only reason we are half relevant is cos we are in the Nuclear Club.

Dave Rice
                        Participant

I’ll be out of the country from Wednesday afternoon to Saturday morning but even then I doubt I’ll be able to avoid it – British ship and Friday we’ll be in Guernsey.

Mrs R is hoping we’ll be back home in time for the wedding service on TV. We probably will be, Southampton is <2 hours away. However #2 son is home for a few days along with my daughter. Might suggest he and I go down the Beaufort and leave the women to it.

Richard
                          Participant

Dave, I do not know about you but the reception sounds one to miss. A ‘modern’ stand up running do with ‘bowls’ of canopies or what sounds like snack food. Add in a ‘modern’ sponge thing, as the wedding cake we thank goodness our invites got lost in the post! As I said above, I hope the family will enjoy the do, but I wonder how the senior royal couple will survive all that standing plus finger food. It is very much not for me and no I won’t be watching it either though I am not sure what I will be doing.

Dave Rice
                            Participant

Well it takes all the politics out of who sits on which table. My eldest cousin’s youngest gets married 2nd June, her Aunt (my youngest cousin) has just left her husband of 25 years and he still lives in the marital home – one of the barn conversions on the farm right next to the mother of the bride (and the bride’s childhood home). The reception is in a marquee in one of the fields. Much seat juggling going on.

Ed P
                              Participant

I just hope that the TV cameras point at Philip and have a lip reader on stand-by. Could make excellent reality TV. On the other hand it could be a dangerous move!.

Richard
                                Participant

Dave, I guess the stand up buffet does take the strain out of seating plans, no seats ergo no seating plans. Family dos are often all about managing egos and preventing rows. Happily our elder daughter’s do went off with none of the family at war stuff, I don’t think there were any difficult situations to try to avoid. Our younger daughter delayed the start of her melt down until the major part of the performance was done and dusted. Then I was assured of a seat for a while taking her home, making sure she could relax before I headed back to the event. Just in time to stop some hooded thief making off with any remaining food of the evening. My cousins 1st, 2nd or whatever are now just footnote names in the margins of history. If they have children the same can be said of them, but in invisible ink.

Bob Williams
                                  Participant

Started something there, didn’t I? My last thoughts:

The whole family is supposedly descended from the same “blood” for at least 2,000 years. Patently stupid: there is actually a guy in Oz who is descended from the Platagenets and has more “right” to sit on the throne, at least of England. His ancestor has a direct link to Richard III, who was killed ath the battle of Bosworth Field and replaced by Henry VII, a Tewdor. Richard was given the fatal blow by a Welshman (no surprise there) Rhys ap Thomas, who had actually changed sides from Richard to Henry Tewdor, because Tricky Dicky had taken Rhys’ sons hostage. The reward for Rhys was to be knighted by Henry VII and eventually become Governor of Wales. Rather ironic, when you consider that Rhys had fought for Richard III against the last real Prince of Wales, Owain Glydwr.

There is no direct paternal Royal bloodline to Henry Tewdor, at a time when only the male line was considered. However, this is just one instance of the tortuous ways that have been used over the centuries, to keep and “validate” a Royal Family on the English and British throne. After the Normans, it became an entrenched method of keeping an Establishment hold on Britain.

Here endeth this week’s History Lesson. Wake up at the back!

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
                                    I'm out.

PlaneMan
                                    Participant

I’ve no time for any of the supposed royal family. All a load of outdated nonsense.

The Duke
                                      Participant

I like the peak of the Royal pyramid. Also love pomp of it all. But once you start deviating from the top, I loose interest.

JayCeeDee
                                        Participant

The wife’s been watching it and I’ve just been listening to the American preacher and the Gospel choir and this image of John Belushi doing handstand cartwheels down the aisle of Windsor Chapel kept flashing through my mind!!! The wife thought I was mad for laughing at that tender moment.

Someone should also tell Camilla to hide her face behind a hand because her bemused look was just too much!!:)

PlaneMan
                                          Participant

Spotted this on HUKD. I nearly dropped my tea on my Chromebook I was laughing so much. ?

Richard
                                            Participant

PM, probably a spoof, but you cannot get the labour these days, anywhere.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 43 total)
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
                                            Forumite