Has anyone else been offered the Windows 10 May 2019 Update ?

HOME Forums Tech Windows Talk Has anyone else been offered the Windows 10 May 2019 Update ?

This topic contains 27 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by johnbarry 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Boris
    @boris

…… and been brave enough to try it ?

Just got the option on one of my PCs, so I’m going to image the current installation and give it a go later on !

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Spread the love
Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Alan Wood
    Participant
    @alanrwood
    Forumite Points: 645

MS screwed it up again.

I used the latest Media Creation Tool to create a USB memory stick to install V1903.

When I tried to use it on a spare computer the install was not allowed because an incompatible piece of hardware was attached to my computer. Guess what it was. Yes it was the 1903 memory stick I had just created. The explanation given by MS is that the install might change the drive letter of the USB attached device (the memory stick) and thus cause a problem. They also said they are working on a fix.

How crazy is it that the very same memory stick created by the Media Creation Tool now prevents the stick from being used to update to 1903.

To prove a point I have rerun the Media Creation Tool and selected to update the machine directly instead of creating install media and it is now at 78%. I will get back if there is any problem.

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 928

That limitation would really screw up any attempt to do a fresh installation !ย ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Presumably someone wants to bring back use of DVDs for fresh installations ?

But ……… would the 64bit version even go on a single DVD ????

Boris
    @boris

If you copied the ISO file to an internal H/D and ran Setup from there, presumably that upgrade would work ?

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 1,640

Not sure it would. If this is one of their major feature updates that actually does a reinstall.

Your Windows drive will always get C and D is strongly preferred for optical drives but anything else is fair game for reassignment during an upgrade install. Especially if you used Disk Management to change the default letters.

You may find the PC doing half the update, restarting, and then not being able to find the USB stick to finish. If it let you try in the first place ๐Ÿ˜

As it happens I did a clean instal of W10 64bit from a DVD on monday last week. Not sure if I have the latest version but Windows update has only offered me one security patch since then.

Boris
    @boris

It has now installed using the normal download/install method.ย  It took about 3 hours – I’m only on 12mb broadband – (this was an i3-3220 with 8GB DDR3 and a spinner) so an SSD would be faster.

It all seems to work OK (hopefully).

It now creates a Windows.old folder (with the old version) so the C drive grew from 20GB to 40GB during the processs.

Alan Wood
    Participant
    @alanrwood
    Forumite Points: 645

Yes, if you copy the full contents of the USB stick to a temp folder on C drive and execute the setup from there it does work, or so I am informed on another forum

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 1,640

I have a smallish SSD (C:) for Windows and my most used apps, a BluRay drive (D:) and a HDD data drive (E:).

I recently added a larger SSD that I intend to use for Steam games and it got the letter (F:) but so far it only has Doom on it.

Afrer my recent reinstall of W10 Steam refused to accept that there was a copy of Doom on my PC. I thought I would have to endure another 4 hour download but then I noticed my E and F drives had been swapped around. After using disk management to swap things back Steam was happy and all was well.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,301

I think that this is one that has come round to bite people over a number of years. Was there not a recommendation in years back to disconnect all drives beyond C: and D: while installing and to only restore the devices when all was done and dusted.?The reconnection had to be done in order and drive letters had to be checked after each one.

Does the issue also affect networked drives I wonder?

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 1,377

The country has just been offered a ‘May’Update – does that count????๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜‰

Boris
    @boris

The country has just been offered a โ€˜Mayโ€™Update โ€“ does that count????๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜‰

She must have been watching the final episode in that old series “May to December” ?

– the episode called – “Until It’s Time For You To Go”

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,448

Apparently the next incompetent PM or Cabinet Minister will have their incompetence recognised as “doing a Theresa”. Until and unless replaced by Boris Johnson*, in which case it will probably be “doing a BoJo.”

I always thought she was doing her best at a bad time in a very difficult job, with the ground prepared by someone ‘doing a Cameron.” Unfortunately her ‘best’ started out poorly and just deteriorated. Had she been a football manager, opposition fans would have all been singing “You don’t know what you’re doing.”

At every game.

*Save us from that, please save us!

โ€œIf you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.โ€
    โ€• Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

After waiting patiently, well with just the odd other pass times to deal with*, the invite to join the Windows May 2019 party arrived on two machines yesterday afternoon. Not being a brave sort I decided to throw my portable into the crucible of fire without first making a system image. After spending a while down loading and faffing about it finally decided it was time to restart and complete the process. It spent the night going nowhere fast and by this morning I decided to bite the bullet and restart, which it did anyway back to the old install with no comments at all. I am now pulling a system image and will try the upgrade/regrade/no-grade at all again when the image is complete. Its a slow process across the network!

*Wife’s chemo, me back to the spinal and other surgeons, GP, dealing with disabled daughter’s finances, etc.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,374

Have updated a few via the media creation tool (not via USB) and no problems.

Just started the process on this laptop.

Boris
    @boris

Done one with a DVD ISO from the Creation Tool and another by their standard download/install method.

Both have been fine.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,374

Just finished, but was able to work for about half the time before electing to restart. It’s a biggie all right.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

I have finally got the thing updated. Thursday’s over night failed, so I forced a restart this morning when it offered to have another go. After huffing and puffing about it came back after a few hours and said nothing doing gov. I then did a new system image after which I tried again. This time it re-downloaded the package, huffed, puffed and grunted a lot but finally arrived at a conclusion. A lot of programs have been ‘removed’ without a comment, which was not great news, among the carnage was a number of printers, so the afternoon/early evening has been spent re-installing them once more. It really does not like some print server arrangements, I will have to see if I can use the server as a print server, so more fun and games no doubt.So far I have not seen too much to celebrate, but then I have not had time to see much of it working either.

I think I will hold off on my main machine to see what it is really like.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Richard.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 1,821

As per, I will get left behind

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by johnbarry.

Cheers
    John

Boris
    @boris

John,

I just got the same message with my 3 year old laptop (i5, 240SSD, 12Gb RAM) which is the most modern rig I have.

Surprisingly, my ancient 11 year old Dual Core E8500 with a 160 spinner and 4GBย  was offered the full 1903 upgrade 10 days ago.

Both are currently running the latest version of 1809.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

My 2009 Dell portable has the latest install, but a large number of programs were just ‘removed’ without warning or indication as to why.

Some such as the WHS 2011 launchpad will not function after the update, it is best to uninstall them prior to the updates and re-install them after a successful update.

My elderly desktop has been passed as ready, but I am rushing very s l oย  wย ย  lย ย ย  y.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,715

1903 installed with no issues in less than 30 minutes. It took a little longer for the associated AMD chipset update plus .Net changes.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love