Forumite

Hikvision Blocked By Trump\'s Stupid Pen? Listed

HOME Forums Home and DIY Visual & Audio Hikvision Blocked By Trump\'s Stupid Pen? Listed

This topic contains 24 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by The Duke 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

One of the many bits fall out from the obnoxious White House git’s actions appears to be a hit on Hikvision. I am sure Dave and just about every other professional will have a very clear understanding of the development. They are a very major part of very many businesses’ protection efforts.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,819

It’s not a Huawei type deal, I can’t see it having much effect. Looks like they are going after Dahua as well. They will just source everything locally, Trump will not gain anything.

This is all American jealousy, they have been left behind by their own inability to innovate. Most of the IP camera patents are held by the Chinese as the Americans were happy selling their analogue products and couldn’t see the future coming. Think Lotus 1-2-3 and Windows Excel.

You cannot AFAIK buy an all American or European camera. There is one minor Korean player I can think of but I’ll bet a fair bit of it actually comes from China.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,303

I understood that Huawei hold many patents relating to 5G so if they are blocked I wonder if the patents would also be blocked from use or would the USQ decide to ignore the patent issue and pirate the technology.

Some press comment in various sources suggest that great tangerine malevolent idiot just wishes to try to shut down all of China’s trade.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Exactly. He cannot use the spying angle with Hikvision, they are very open and part of many IT bodies now. It’s Linux at the heart (some very top end management systems use W10) and the chips are mostly phone type SoC but again the very high end management systems (not cameras) may use Intel. Certainly those with embedded W10 do.

I wonder what would happen if the Chinese denied American companies from their manufacturing? Apple aren’t just going to spin up a Foxconn replacement overnight.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 4,228

I hope the Chinese do retaliate against America. They could close America down if they wanted, cause some massive issues for them.

II can see that closed American market I was talking about a year ago in the horizon.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

My concern is that it will all get very ugly quickly and that the idiot may well not realise what is happening until the wheels are off. Too many will suffer in the cross fire and many of those who suffer will not be in the USA or China. Some assembly work is already being carried on in other than China, where costs have been rising faster than in other locations. So it is possible that work could be transferred to them with some disruption likely. Licensing, IP and FRAND issues might be a whole new ball game and that is one area where the fool might want to leverage things out of China in the hope of Comcast and its palls picking up the fall out?

The Duke
    @sgb101

It will mean price he’s in america, and products they can’t sell/compeate with the outside world. It can only be bad for them in the long run. It would end up a closed state. Which is ironic.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

Has rolling back the evolution of things ever worked? Certainly, he is making the USA grate in many areas of the world. It serves him right in my book, I do not see this playing out well.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

It appeals to his base who like the macho man sticks it to the goddam commies without any clue as to the consequences.

When you watch American shows like The Simpsons or Famliy Guy you can see what Americans really think of Made in America products and it isn’t great. “Excellence in Broadcasting”, in which Limbaugh himself participated, is probably the most scathing YouTube clip.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

That clip really summed up the state of play with too many things. The reason that some countries ‘won’ is that they no only did it a bit cheaper, in too many cases they simply did it vastly better. Unless some places learn that things actually have to work and work well enough for long enough, then there is no point in having an industry at all. All the subsidies, protectionist clap trap and stupid words  in the world will only delay the inevitable.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 5,257

My Android phone Thread #33561, answered well by Nolan and Dave, contained a question relevant to this thread.

IMO the Plastic PoTUS has made series of stupid, unintelligent moves which will eventually bring his overprivileged life crashing down around his ears. I believe that the time will come when his supporters and voters realise that he has not made the USA great at all, but has achieved the opposite. When the first real economic slowdown leads to a trickle of job losses which become a flood, those supporters and voters will understand who is to blame and the jig will be up.

Unfortunately it will be the ordinary Americans who will inevitably suffer, not the PP. Nor his Big Business pals. That’s if he doesn’t take the USA into a war in an area which has many previous hard lessons going against it. Let us hope that, should that happen, we have a government which follows the precedent set by Harold Wilson, who refused to involve the UK in the slaughter of Vietnam. Not that shown by T B Liar, who set us upon a course from which we still suffer today.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

Bob, I have a great deal of sympathy with your view points. I also hope that the so called POTUS has his turkeys come home to roost and that he finds their company very uncomfortable. Perhaps if he did call to ask for some level of cooperation/agreement then, let’s hope the PM’s or the MOD’s Huawei  ‘phone’s will not be able to connect to his moron telephone.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 7,573

Unfortunately to judge from quotes attributed to our Intelligence Service they seem to have been bought out by US interests.

The Duke
    @sgb101

I seen something last week, British intelligence said they found no wrong doing with Hauwei, but still recommended we should limit thier hardware.

How do you come to that conclusion?

It’s all about the west not being able to spy, not the east being able too. As atm both sides can, if we go 5g our intelligence won’t be able to spy as easy.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 5,257

It’s all about the west not being able to spy, not the east being able too. As atm both sides can, if we go 5g our intelligence won’t be able to spy as easy.

There’s a lot to be said for that viewpoint Steve. I am more suspicious of US and UK intelligence organisations than I am of China’s. Or Russia’s, come to that. I am no Labour supporter and I think Corbyn is about one step to the right of Lenin, but I would bet that Corbyn is on the radar of MI5 and the CIA. Just as Harold Wilson was.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

Bob, I choked on that one. Steve is well known to be somewhat touchy on the subject of anyone worrying about the ‘reds under the bed issue‘ so I tend to ignore much of the rabid concern.

Frankly I would be very concerned if Corbyn and more especially some of his dodgy friends were not on watch lists and rest assured that many political animals are on a great number of watch lists here and across the globe. I well remember my ‘accidental and very casual‘ training briefing on the methods of recruitment used by foreign powers back in the 1960s. That they were very successful then (and probably still are now) is only being revealed in tiny bread crumbs as time rolls by. Some of Corbyn’s friends are very definitely people I would avoid knowing and as for their friends; barge poles are no longer made in the numbers and lengths some might consider usable for touching them.

Sadly the NSA and other USA based agencies are so hopelessly out classed and incompetent at anything they try to do that they are often happy to recruit turncoats rather than track them down and expose them. I am not aware of the agencies of USA, France, Germany Australia or the UK murdering people in the UK because they did not like their politics, the same cannot be said about the Eastern block and their warped allies, who had brought murder to our roads. Interestingly Corbyn’s cronies did moan about the removal from operation of some low life who had dedicated their life to killing while in Syria and in objecting to the risk that others might be gaoled if they returned to the UK. Perhaps others would welcome evil dross like them, I would not.

Mind you, I would never shake the hand of Trump and his criminal cronies either.

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Points: 1,525

Do you think when all this is over and Trump eventually triggers WW3 – in the aftermath, will I be able to get 3G in my part of Anglesey?  ?

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

The Duke
    @sgb101

I’m not touch about it Richard. I just don’t care. If I had a choice who was to spy on my, I’d always choose the enemy. So if I was Russian I’d want the us/uk, and being british I’d opt for Russia China.

Simpley because they can’t knock on my door.

All sides spy, and will continue to do so, so it’s not worth me worrying about it.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

I’m not touch about it Richard. I just don’t care. If I had a choice who was to spy on my, I’d always choose the enemy. So if I was Russian I’d want the us/uk, and being british I’d opt for Russia China. Simpley because they can’t knock on my door. All sides spy, and will continue to do so, so it’s not worth me worrying about it.

Tell that to Salisbury and parts of London?

However, tell me why our lot would have any interest in the likes of you or me? If they want to read my shopping list or track my hospital visits, trips to the tip and the Eco store to clear things out or even the supermarket or garden centre (if I ever manage to get there), then they are clearly being miss-managed on the NSA/CIA scale of miss management cock-ups.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

Do you think when all this is over and Trump eventually triggers WW3 – in the aftermath, will I be able to get 3G in my part of Anglesey? ?

You never know what the radio active dust cloud might blow in, just hope it was a Chinese wind not a Russian one, Chinese kit is usually better.

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Points: 1,525

LOL!! ?

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!